ALGONQUIN PARK MAY 2006 PHOTO ESSAY!

That was a great read, and most definatly the best post I've read to date!

Some impressive results as well I might add...

Thanks so much for sharing that.

I'm headed in with My dad first week of May...those father son trips are the stuff memories are made of.

(mind you my 4 brothers will be there as wll so Portaging wil be a bit easier)

Wow, what a wonderful journey, thanks for taking us along.

Both parks are so much more scenic than the far north of Ontario, where you’ll never see a red or white pine, just ugly aspens and scruffy black spruce and if you’re lucky, the odd jackpine.

I cant say I agree with this though. I have been in some wonderful old growth stands amid wonderful scenery and fishing in far north Ontario, quality stuff.

Cheers

Woo-hoo! Thanks so much for all your kind replies! Sorry not to get back to yous yet as I've been pretty busy this week. I will definitely reply to your posts and PM's shortly, as soon as I get the chance.

I haven't shown my dad this post yet, and will wait til a few more reply as I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it, and get him psyched for this year's carries. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! [Actually, Ian is joining us this year, so we can take it easy on the guy this time....]

Dano, when I said "far north" I meant far north, like downstream Albany and Wakwayowkastic Rivers towards James Bay places. My dad and I did a 120-mile trip down the Albany a few years ago - drive in and fly out - and while the waterfalls and rapids are beautiful, paddling for hours along extremely "samey" river with nothing but ugly little trees growing on muddy riverbanks without a single outcrop of rock to be seen is [to me] nowhere near as pretty as Algonquin or Quetico. And if you think the far north of Ontario is samey, you oughta see the Yellowknife River in NWT [or whatever they call the place this year] - you get excited by a small stand of three-inch-diameter trees. One wonders how Franklin ever constructed Fort Wilderness out of miserable little twigs like those.

Just finished reading the whole series. I must say, it's one hell of a journey. As someone else already noted, your father is a trooper! I hope I'd be able to take a trip like that in my old age, but I'd ensure that my son carries everything. :w00t: Thanks for the report.

Sorry for the tardiness of my reply, mates. Busy busy busy. Thanks for the encouragement, eh? It is an Actuarial Fact, Golfisher, that each day spent fishing increases your life expectancy by at least one day. But then you already knew that .... ;)

Edited by passthepitonspete

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. It encourages me to want to try again. Never for a moment would I make any "rules" for reading my post - I was merely offering instructions on how to keep it de-clusterfrigged. Those of you who know me know that I am about the last person to ever obey a rule [ask my ex-wife] ;)

I didn't realize that the forum downsizes images, so next time instead of making them 700 pixels wide, I can downsize to 500 which is roughly half the area, so they'll load faster and I can make fewer threads. I think there are still enough guys on dialup that it's worth splitting for now. Even Mepps' photo at 640 is too wide for this forum. I'll go skinny next time, or maybe try the blog approach that SlowPoke suggests.

For those of you who feel my story is too wordy, I make no apologies. Jean-Paul Sartre wrote, "on a toujours la choix." If you don't want to read it, you can just look at the pictures. I think there's a need and demand for decent writing in places other than magazines that you have to buy.

Harv and Doug and Cookslav, please drop me a line after you get back and we'll compare how we did. Thanks, Gerrit.

Good luck on the 9th, Mike. Superb rainbow postings you've made. Your website looks pretty cool, too. If you adventurers want some "real" Ontario adventure, we can paddle across Mazinaw Lake and I'll take you four pitches up Bon Echo for some pretty rad exposure straight over the lake 300' below.

Thanks Trophymuskie and Sinker, and Smokey, Jerseydog and Grimace. A few people just got confused when I was putting the thing together, and the links didn't yet work. This despite the "under construction" caveats everywhere. Sheesh.

Thanks to everyone else who took the time to read and post. Much appreciated!

We're heading up on Sunday, can't wait! Woo-hoo!

Cheers and beers,

Pete

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

As many of us prepare for the Annual Rite of the Spring Trout Opener I thought it would be a great opportunity to resurrect a thread PTPP posted last April. :clapping::clapping:

For those of us who love Trouting in the Park this is an excellent post which I feel needs to be rerun.

If any of you have other threads in a similar vein please bump them as well.

Alas I am unable to participate in the opener this year but will be watching from the sidelines. To all heading out "tight lines, good luck and post reports".

Bumpity, Bump

Nemo :Gonefishing:

Great one Pete! Don't worry about the critics around here, they will all be well once the trees turn green. I for one found the detail great. You are to be envied having the bollocks to actually do what a lot of us dream about. Being gainfully unemployed is something that I strive for!

John..

Do I need to start bumping one of my old Crappie reports whenever I go Crappie fishin'?

Bumping an old report is too easy, show us something with a little more challenge to it!... Like a report tomorrow with pics of fish you're gonna catch next month!!!... now there's a challenge!

• 4 years later...

I was well aware of the dates before I made my post but I don't see how that is relevant----the OP is still on this board.

I'm sure he's happy to know you approved of his trip 7 years ago :)

Edited by BillM