ALGONQUIN PARK MAY 2006 PHOTO ESSAY!

Like, how’s it goin’, eh?

Here’s a little photo essay trip report of my May 2006 canoeing and fishing trip to Algonquin Park with my dad. We’ve been fishing here most springs for nearly twenty years, and every trip is an adventure.

425lbspeckmedll1.jpg

It’s always been my belief – and sometimes it’s actually true! – that “the quality of fishing is directly proportional to the discomfort in reaching it.” Accordingly, the photo you see above is my dad holding a 4¼-pound speckled trout that he caught three years ago – our Family Record – and for which we portaged five miles in each direction!

I’ve split up the photos into five posts, each post with about six or seven photos hotlinked. You can just scroll down and read the story as you look at the photos, and follow the link to the next page. For me, this was the easiest and most effective way to present the story, and it will save you poor buggers with dial-up connections a bit of bother since all the photos won’t load onto a single page.

Now here are the INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOOKING AT THE PHOTO ESSAY:

1. The post is in six parts – this is the instruction page, and the photo essay follows in pages one to five.

2. May I request that if you have any comments to offer, that you please reply to this post only. This way we don’t have everything split into six different places. Fair enough?

3. If you enjoy this photo essay – it was an enormous amount of work – and would like to see more, then please say so, as I need some positive reinforcement to repeat the effort for other trips! Thanks a lot, eh?

4. Only after I spent about six or eight hours photoshopping, resizing and uploading all the photos at 700 pixels width [the normal size for internet forums] did I realize that this place automatically resizes bigger images to around 500 pixels. Arg, all that hard work. So please do me a favour and click on the image to see it in full size!

5. The shortcut is to click the photo in the black border at its top edge, then hit “F11” to expand it immediately to a full page. After you look at it, you can hit “Alt + F4” together to close the window [rather than clicking on the X in the top right corner]. Thanks.

6. So grab a cup of coffee or a glass of beer [depending on whether you are reading this before or after Changeover Time] and enjoy! I’m warning you it’s going to take you a while to read, so make sure your vessel is fully topped up.

You can click here to begin our May 2006 Algonquin Park photo essay.

Cheers,

Pete [and Ron]

Edited by passthepitonspete

Guest gbfisher

couple of pics and a short description of your trip would have been great. :blahblah1:

Like the shot of the old guy with a very nice trout on this page. Missed the others..hope I posted where I was supposed to... :dunno: !

Good luck with your next post ........ :huh:

Edited by gbfisher

Yup, yer in the right spot ... finally! Sorry to confuse y'all, I just had to make all the links work properly.

Yeah, it was a ton of work, that's for sure! Probably put in about twelve to sixteen hours what with all the photoshopping, uploading, writing, copying and pasting, and fixing links. I definitely appreciate some positive feedback!

THANKS!

This looks like the right place to post (according to the rules!) :lol:

Thanks for a great 'photoessay'. I know how long that must have taken you to do, so thanks for sharing.

I love Algonquin, so this report was very interesting to me. What a great place to spend some quality time with family. Looks like you caught lots of nice fish and a good time was had by all.

Thanks again. Good luck this year. Look forward to the report (though a slightly shorter one would I'm sure be just as interesting and less time consuming for you).

Edited by OO7

That was simply a great read. Thanks for posting. Now I am even more excited about our trip to the Park May 3.

It must be wonderful to share a trip like that with your dad. My dad and I fish together 90% of the time but Algonquin is one trip he won't come on with us. He is not much for canoes or sleeping on the ground.

Good luck this year and I think we are all looking forward to another photo essay.

Harv

nice report!

A friendly tip for for helping the dial up users, make the image size under 100k each - the image at the top is 500 x 382 pixels and 156k, it could have been compressed to under 70k without a noticable differance in quality. Even at 640x480 you can have an image bellow 100k in size.

heres an example of a 640x480 image that is only 54k in size. Should load really quickly for dial up users!

18.jpg

Guest Trophymuskie

Wow nice pictures, I sure don't have time to read it all but it looks like a lot of work was put into it. Seems like a few more reports would be enough to make a book out of it. :)

BTW I had no problems starting from this post and following the links to see all 5 in order. ;)

Two thumbs up from this guy. :thumbsup_anim:

Definitly a great read! No problems with the links.....it all worked perfectly.

Kudos to your dad for making a trip that extreme at his young age! He's a trooper for sure!!

Wish you guys many more trips just like it in the future!!

Thanks for posting, and i"m looking forward to many more to come!!

Sinker

Great Report. Thanks for posting.

Great to see your Dad get in like that. He's a trooper.

When I am that age I hope I can hit the Park and Spring Fish for Specks and Lakers.

I eagerly await your next offering.

Thanks

I'm not going to complain about the length of the post(s). It was an incredibly well written, very entertaining tale and personally I was sad to see it end. You should write a book of all your fishing adventures. I'll take the first copy. GREAT !!!! Thankyou very much for including me in your journey. :worthy:

I don't mind playing by the rules ;)

Great report, lots of pictures, dial-up friendly... I don't know why you guys are whining!

The trouble with multi-part posts is scattered comments... people asking the same Q's in different threads etc. Instead of different threads try blogging your report and start a thread with a link to your blog.

Guy's, cut this man some slack. I want to see more reports like this.

Pete, maybe next trip you can carry the pack while your father carries the 3 OZ digital camara ;)

-Brian

Beauty report and if I was still on dial up would have appreciated extremely how it was laid out.

Your father hauling his own pack, etc at 80+....I applaude him immensely for that and great to see you sharing trips like these together still.

Nice detailed reports and loads of pics of your adventure. Really enjoyed the view and the read. Sounds like you put a lot of time into the posts and it shows. Thanks for the opportunity to share your trip - must have been a great one. Trips like that with your father are worth a life-time of memories.

Edited by Rich Clemens