Getting ready for my June muskie trip...

It's less than a month until my 10 day annual muskie trip :)

There are a few items I would like to add to the arsenal for this years trip, but would like a little advice/feedback from the muskie experts on the board.

1) Does anyone know of a tackle supplier in or near Whitby that sells just the clips for the business end of the fluorocarbon leaders? I have picked them up from JB's before, but it's a bit of a hike now for me. I like to replace them every few days of fishing as I find the metal gets fatigued after multiple lure changes.

2) What is the best file to get for sharpening muskie sized hooks? I have one of the small carbide ones from CT, and it works great on smaller hooks, but I think it's time to get a proper one for the big lures.

3) I was out fishing with Geoff from this site last year, and in his boat he had the Salty rod holders on custom towers. The rod clamps on saltys were coated in rubber - protecting the reel finish - he told me where he got them, but I forgot. Somewhere in Woodstock I think? Does anyone know, and have any idea of a price? I would love to upgrade to these. If anyone knows the approximate price that would also be sweet.

4) I think it is probably time to get my two Shimano baitcasting reels tuned up (Calcutta and Tekota) - where would you guys recommend? Take them to Shimano in Peterborough? I seem to remember that there is someone good in Orillia? I have taken reels to Aikmans in Missisauga before, but it's pretty far for me now, and to be honest was not very happy with the turnaround time nor the end result in the reel. I also have four Quantum Energy spinning reels that could use a little TLC... they have taken their share of wear and tear casting muskie sized lures before I converted to baitcasters in the last few years. Would like to see how much it would cost to get them running smoothly again - if even possible.

5) What would you guys recommend for a mapping chip for my Lowrance Elite 5? A packaged chip came with it when I bought it from LeBaron's, and it is decent, but I really would like the one that has the 1' contour lines for the Kawartha lakes. Again I heard that the guy in Woodstock might be the best option for a chip - as he takes trade ins? Any info would be appreciated.

29 more sleeps until slime time!!!!

Thanks so much for any help and info guys.

Peter

I use #5 Stringeze snaps Pete and they last forever, infact I can go all season without changing them and have never had an issue with them.

Pretty sure you can get them at Tightlines on Brock Rd. in Pickering just south of the 401.

I like a fine tooth file for my hooks and just use a regular triangle shaped file and it works very well. Pick them up at any hardware store.

I've had work done at Shimano in P'Boro and have always been happy.

I took my Curado in to have it serviced here in Peterborough last Summer. I was amazed in the differnce between before and after. They cleaned it all up and even replaced a bearing or two if I remember correctly. Felt like a new reel after. Pretty sweet for 25 bucks. Only downside was they continued to send me a bill for the service even though I paid for it at the time. I had to phone them back once a month for 3 or 4 monthes.

i have one of these hook files and i like it....

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/file/page/1/id/633/name/LuhrJensenHookFile512

as for snaps on the business end...

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/5/page/2/id/1139/name/StringeaseStayLocProSnaps

from the sounds of it you want a few things... an online order might be a good option... i get all my gear at rollie and helens musky shop online... great service...

and then you can get yourself a few new lures too...

and were the salty rod holders the powder coated? or did they actually have "rubber" on them... because i have never heard of rubber coated saltys before... but i do have the powder coated ones...

Edited by Musky Mike

Thanks Lew - thought a regular file would do the trick, just was wondering if there was something specific out there to do the job. Tightlines is right down the road from my work - I will check them out for the snaps for sure. I figured Shimano would probably be my best bet - after all they would have the parts right there. The reels are still working fine, but I have had the Calcutta TE for 3 seasons and the Tekota for 2, and want to keep them running well for the long run. But what to do with the Quantums... hmmm...

Mike - they were rubber coated for sure, but just the top part where it holds the reel. Keeps the reel from getting scratched up. They were mounted on a custom little tower made out of machined aluminum - something like a downrigger tower? Was really solid and made it very easy to adjust the rod angle and direction. Pretty sure it was from that place in Woodstock - anyone know the name? I'm good in the lures department... been collecting some new weapons over the winter. However I am still interested in those ones we talked about that you had for sale if you are passing this way anytime soon!

Peter

Thanks Lew - thought a regular file would do the trick, just was wondering if there was something specific out there to do the job. Tightlines is right down the road from my work - I will check them out for the snaps for sure. I figured Shimano would probably be my best bet - after all they would have the parts right there. The reels are still working fine, but I have had the Calcutta TE for 3 seasons and the Tekota for 2, and want to keep them running well for the long run. But what to do with the Quantums... hmmm...

Mike - they were rubber coated for sure, but just the top part where it holds the reel. Keeps the reel from getting scratched up. They were mounted on a custom little tower made out of machined aluminum - something like a downrigger tower? Was really solid and made it very easy to adjust the rod angle and direction. Pretty sure it was from that place in Woodstock - anyone know the name? I'm good in the lures department... been collecting some new weapons over the winter. However I am still interested in those ones we talked about that you had for sale if you are passing this way anytime soon!

Peter

You mean Angling Outfitters Pete?

Get a can of liquid rubber (sold for coating tool handles and such).. put some in a plastic dish and just dip the salty until it's the thickness our like. Me personally.. scratches on the reel just mean you're getting out!!

File.. I like the dual file sold my Rollie and Helen's Muskie shop. It's just two files in a single handle strapped together at the end. Works well with a couple passes and you're done on both sides!

I recently picked up a a rapala sharpener from pro tackle musky shop in Belleville. http://www.protacklemuskyshop.com/. I was on my way home from Montreal and stopped in. Great selection and service. Send an e-mail and ask for what you want, I think the guys name is Stacy. The sharpener I bought is not on the website, but I am sure if you asked him about the musky sized hook sharpener from rapala Stacy would know what you are talking about. If you make an order of $150 or more shipping is free. They also have a certain colour sledge that is hard to find, in case you are interested in casting a bit more this year.

hey pete, for the chip you should check out radioworld.

i have the premium hot maps chip and it shows 1' contour lines etc for scugog and a majority of the kawartha lakes. i believe this chip has more inland lakes

most of the chips have a list of the lakes they include and im pretty sure you can check them online to see the list of lakes they include.

also for the clips im pretty sure gagnons has a bunch. maybe give them a call

Thanks for all the input guys! Time to break out the $$$ lol!

Thanks for the link Geoff, I really like the custom towers that Trojan tackle sells, but haven't called to ask about pricing yet. Wayne's idea about rubber dipping has me thinking about making my own...

I found a really nice hook file at Sail the other day, as well as a wicked pair of fishing scissors... so those are taken care of.

Andrew - how ya doin man! You get out on the weekend at all? Radioworld huh, I will check them out. I did really like the chip in your boat last summer.

I am also considering starting to make my own fluorocarbon leaders this year... I think there is some $ to be saved there for sure. Buy a spool of 100lb Seaguar, some of the previously mentioned clips and some heavy swivels, and learn how to tie the appropriate knots ( I have heard that crimps are not the best idea?). I think it would actually be a fun little project, as well as being able to customize the lengths.

24 more sleeps!

Peter

Edited by Fisherpete

Been making my own leaders for a number of years, crimps have worked fine for me at 130# fluoro. IMO it's tough to tie the heavy fluoro.

For pike, I use 50# and tie those. Perfection Loop is what I use on the snap end and I either tie directly to the braid via uni to uni for jerkbaits or to a swivel for stuff that'll twist the line.

You'll save a bit and like you said, get custom length leaders.

Got my 2 new reels spooled up and the 2 shimanos respooled this morning... all tackle trays, boxes and bags are now cleaned and organized... check the classifieds soon for a tackle purge!!!

Mike - good tip!

Edited by Fisherpete