Lake Erie PIGS

Billy Bob

My old buddy Don wanted to hit Lake Erie for some big perch.....he called me last night to change the game plan....my spot he heard was producing ZERO but his buddy Rick was getting some nice fish off the Wind Mills on the east shoreline......OK...we'll do that......dipped my own bait yesterday on the Niagara River trying to get the big Lake Erie minnows....zillions of them down there....one dip was enough to fill a bait shop, not my bait bucket....took only 1/4 of the dip home and still was concerned there were too many in my special 7 gallon bait bucket......

Well today we towed my old rig down to Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo....but when we were driving over the Sky Way we could see the white caps already forming well before 8am.....got down to the launch and the wind we up and we could feel it blowing right into the inner harbor....we decided to tow my boat to the Catt and hopefully the winds would stay south as they were when we left Small Boat Harbor......along Hamburg Beach with the south wind the shoreline was nice and calm...

When we finally reached the Catt (about 45 miles west of Buffalo) the winds had already started to turn to the SW......but not too bad, YET....

When I hit my hot spot per my GPS we had a hard time getting the anchor to take hold....we finally tied my small 10lb mushroom anchor just above my 3 feet of chain to add more weight...it worked....and this time we were only 52 feet off my hot spot when the anchor took hold.....and boy did all this Bull pay off in PIGS....I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story....BTW we got blown off around 1pm...but we did manage 47 nice perch, which 35 were just friggin HUGE...you be the judge.

LakeEriePerchWithDonDavid4-19-12003.jpg

This is the tall boy 7 gallon bucket filled with only 47 perch

LakeEriePerchWithDonDavid4-19-12005.jpg

LakeEriePerchWithDonDavid4-19-12012.jpg

LakeEriePerchWithDonDavid4-19-12010.jpg

And finally filleted up.

LakeEriePerchWithDonDavid4-19-12017.jpg

Billy,that,s some quality perch! Can't get over the size of that many .well done.:good:

Ya, we really lucked out this time out....we usually get a few big ones, but today they were almost all big boys....and we only fished from 9:30am to 1pm....and only one other boat out there....I guess they all heard the hot spot is off Buffalo and not the Catt... :)

Almost all were females....fishing in 60 feet of water, they don't survive MOST times...they then become sea gull food.

:dunno:

Brian,

Here's a quick excerpt from an article I found on line:

Walleye and perch have a reduced chance of survival if they are caught in water deeper than seven metres, brought to the surface, and then released. When walleye or perch are caught in deep water, their swim bladders can’t adapt quickly enough to the change in atmospheric pressure. This causes the fish equivalent of ‘the bends’. The internal damage that results will likely kill the fish.

Simon

Brian,

Here's a quick excerpt from an article I found on line:

Walleye and perch have a reduced chance of survival if they are caught in water deeper than seven metres, brought to the surface, and then released. When walleye or perch are caught in deep water, their swim bladders can’t adapt quickly enough to the change in atmospheric pressure. This causes the fish equivalent of ‘the bends’. The internal damage that results will likely kill the fish.

Simon

I thank you for your reply Simon.

If you take from deep divers theroy,they tell you,if you come up slow,you dont get the bends. Truely when fishing for said fish,and you know what you are catching,slow retreive,will prevent the bends. Just saying. We brought many up from 80 on Simcoe,and never seen a bladder.Why,cause we knew they were perch.

If you take from deep divers theroy,they tell you,if you come up slow,you dont get the bends. Truely when fishing for said fish,and you know what you are catching,slow retreive,will prevent the bends. Just saying. We brought many up from 80 on Simcoe,and never seen a bladder.Why,cause we knew they were perch.

I guess these perch should of read your avatar then.... :)

You do realize we are talking about Lake Erie here that has a fleet of commercial fishing boats that are out there taking these perch by the THOUSANDS....I called it a day with under 50 fish for the two us.

You can always count on a couple guys here to beat down a fishing report...seen it SOOOO MANY times now that many now don't even bother doing a fishing report..... :whistling:

But anyway's......I glad I had a good day to share with those who enjoyed looking....and I have had several PM's for more info which I am always willing to share.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

And now I know something new. Thx For sharing Brian. I've learned on Quinte that you try to avoid the deeper 'eyes when trolling cause it's tough to control the rate of ascent, but never thought that way about perch.

I guess that's why I like pike. LOL.

I guess these perch should of read your avatar then.... :)

You do realize we are talking about Lake Erie here that has a fleet of commercial fishing boats that are out there taking these perch by the THOUSANDS....I called it a day with under 50 fish for the two us.

You can always count on a couple guys here to beat down a fishing report...seen it SOOOO MANY times now that many now don't even bother doing a fishing report..... :whistling:

But anyway's......I glad I had a good day to share with those who enjoyed looking....and I have had several PM's for more info which I am always willing to share.

Bob

Guess I,m looking at my new way of fishing BB. C&R. Many more for those, for the days to come and enjoy, when you and I are gone. It,s not a beat down.just take it as one that has seen over harvest, and has seen what a no kill can do. I do believe we are allowed our opinions here still. Right or wrong.

Like I said,,,,,,,,,,to each their own,I believe we discussed it.