marketing and the term "exclusive"

Steve

Decided to catch up on some sleep today, and took the morning off the water.

I'm watching The Next Bite.

They are having their Mercury infomercial portion of the show.

Pete is interviewing some Mercury rep, and this mercury rep is explaining their "exclusive" mercury tiller handle on their kicker motor.

They claim they have the only tiller handle with a kill switch, a trim switch, and the throttle all on the same handle, with the users ability to use all functions with one hand......

yep....it does.

so does Yamaha.

And the yamaha has the multi function ability to increase or decrease your rpm's with a button....

Why can a company market something as "exclusive" when it is the furthest from exclusive?

Pete is interviewing some Mercury rep, and this mercury rep is explaining their "exclusive" mercury tiller handle on their kicker motor.

They claim they have the only tiller handle with a kill switch, a trim switch, and the throttle all on the same handle, with the users ability to use all functions with one hand......

yep....it does.

so does Yamaha.

And the yamaha has the multi function ability to increase or decrease your rpm's with a button....

Why can a company market something as "exclusive" when it is the furthest from exclusive?

Big up the product to sell. Kinda cheatin'... like cutting the grass to make the tree look bigger. :whistling:

yep....it does.

so does Yamaha.

So what you are saying they are different.Whats you`re point.

I can't stand when companies put a brand name on existing technology and call it "exclusive".

The only thing exclusive is the registered name.

Subaru is the worst offender with their incessant "Full time symmetrical all wheel drive" commercials....they'd lead you to believe they invented the technology.

Did they say they invented it.Whats you`re point.

And so does E-TEC lol

I guess it boils down to "what colour do you want?"

Back to your point about "exclusive"; it really bothers me when big chain stores will have an "Exclusive to XXXXXXX" item. Simply a scheme to avoid price matching. Common with lawn mowers, snow blowers etc.

If you buy a licence to build a product from the company that holds the patent for a product.

You have exclusive rights to build said product.Where the parent company still builds the product under a register trade mark or patent.

I'm going to tell you folks a litle tale that happened to my wife and I a few years ago when we were shopping for a new dishwasher and the word "exclusive". We looked at a dishwaher being sold by a large multi-national building products chain that uses orange as its predominant color. You guess who! They said in their store sign that a certain model of a well known brand name was "exclusive" to them. I took down the model number and then we went to the local small time dealer in town who also handled that brand. His price was about $ 90. more but the model number differed by one extra letter. When we attended the local small dealer's shop, I noted that that the hook to which the door latches was steel on his model, the one at the major building supply chain was plastic. There were a couple of other major quality differences that caught my eye that also made the orange place's model inferior in quality. Then, as I worked at Wal-Mart, I started checking out a couple of extra items for other differences. When I went to by a new electric circular saw that was "exlusive" to Wal-Mart, the same thing happened. The Wal-Mart model did not come with the cutting guide in the box like a local hardware store's did. From knowing the way Wal-Wart and other large box stores worked, I have deduced that when one of them advertizes a product as "exclusive" to them, they have beat the supplier over the head so bad to get the price down to where they want it that the supplier makes up their profit margin by cutting the quality of their product and I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut that the large multi-national doesn't care as long at they get the sale. So that's why I am now very suspicious of the word "exclusive" in retail.

Edited by Tootsie II