A 26 Year Perspective

bushart

26 years ago my wife and I were on a fishing adventure to Elk Lake

we stopped in Temagami and for some reason she snapped this photo----I think it was to note how high the gas prices were compared to southern Ontario at the time :whistling:

Funny now---how we'd like those again

Terrance, I'm driving that way in a couple hours. I will take that same picture if I can remember on my way home Sunday. Need a 1 in front of that price at least. :angry:

Gasbuddy.com has New Liskeard at 142.9 so I am guessing Temagami may be close to 1.45.

Edited by Nipfisher

I was just watching an old episode of "To Serve and Protect". It reminded me of this post.

Two Vancouver cops bust a guy for huffing paint thinners. The guy is totally wrecked :asshat: .

The one cop takes a quart of turpentine, and a gallon of paint thinner, and DUMPS it down the sewer!!

The good O'l days eh :rofl2:

Reminds me of the story told in that general/hardware store in Wawa, On

where a US hunter came in and asked a good place to hunt moose----so being a smart guy---someone told him to go down the road and wait at the moose crossing sign

So apparently off he goes---waits there in the bush----downs a monster bull--oh well

I was just watching an old episode of "To Serve and Protect". It reminded me of this post.

Two Vancouver cops bust a guy for huffing paint thinners. The guy is totally wrecked :asshat: .

The one cop takes a quart of turpentine, and a gallon of paint thinner, and DUMPS it down the sewer!!

The good O'l days eh :rofl2:

Haha. And the best way clean something like that was to pull out the ol' tiger torch!

The old hardware store storys .. lol . East of Wasaga Beach on 92 hwy at a four corners , which back in the good old days was known as Ginger Snap Juction , people would congragate there on a regualar bases to tell and hear the news of the day , one old local who was prone to playing the fiddle showed up one evening like many and took his place a top a wooden barrel of pickles for his seat and began to entertain in his non stop fashion that would go on for hours , after some time of doing so a young boy noticed that the old timer playing the fiddle had a rip in the crouch of his pants and thought how awful and went up to him and whisperd in his ear saying , excuse me sir but do you know your balls are in the pickles , and right away he replyed ... NO but if you can hum a couple of bars am sure i could pick it up . edited to say .... you could buy your gas there as well at that time .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Years ago we use to exterminate murderers by capital punishment, now we look after them, feed them, entertain them with TV, allow them excercise time.

Years ago we never had methadone clinics, and social programs, welfare, mother allowance etc, now we have people making a living off of it, for multiple generations, people use to take pride in themselves, children use to respect there elders and the place they call home.

Years ago we never had to bail out companies from mis-management ie GM and Chrysler, we lived with pride, worked with pride and made an honest living.

Now if your under 54 you have to work till 67 to collect old age pension, you came blame it on the above, Goverments spend millions of taxpayers money blaming each other for the countries problems, instead of working together to fix it, while they line there pockets with our hard earned dollars.

The taxpayer like myself is tired of paying for others peoples mistakes in life, its time they suck it up and make a better life for themselves.

OK... How about this..... 26 years ago when I worked at the Shell Station in Sturgeon, Gas was 45 cents a litre and Min wage was 3.85 an hour. Minimum Wage is now 10.25 an hour or 2.7 times as much as I got back then. If we multiply the price if gas then by 2.7 times we get the equivalent of $1.22 a litre now when using min wage as a comparison. So my point is that its not the cost of gas thats increased, (compared to wages) its everyones disposable income and the ability to pay for the gas amongst everything else we get dinged for thats the problem.

OK... How about this..... 26 years ago when I worked at the Shell Station in Sturgeon, Gas was 45 cents a litre and Min wage was 3.85 an hour. Minimum Wage is now 10.25 an hour or 2.7 times as much as I got back then. If we multiply the price if gas then by 2.7 times we get the equivalent of $1.22 a litre now when using min wage as a comparison. So my point is that its not the cost of gas thats increased, (compared to wages) its everyones disposable income and the ability to pay for the gas amongst everything else we get dinged for thats the problem.

When I first started working, Minimum wage was 2.25. Back then a pack of smokes was 0.80. A mickey was 1.85, or 2.15 for good stuff. A loaf of bread was a dime.

Today, the pack of smokes is avg of 7.50. A regular mickey is 14.00, and a plain loaf of white bread from 1.99 to 3.00!!! a loaf. Against today's minimum wage, the working man's buying power has certainly shrunk. At McD's I still remember their boast of buying a meal and getting change back from a buck.

If we can get Wave Disk engines up and running we might see oil prices drop. And they aren't some 'pie in the sky' idea that you see in Popular Mechanics, these are being developed by reputable agencies. They are about 30% lighter than regular piston engines, and whereas a normal engine gets about 15% efficiency out of gasoline, a wave disk engine gets about 60%. Link here.