looking at a used , new to me boat.

Muskieman

A friend of mine has this boat for sale.... He has no clue wht to sell it to me for... neither do I.

it's a 1995 Starcraft 1700 Walleye edition... fully loaded with an older 55 Minn Kota cable steer. 3 new batteries and 2 depth finders, 2 Scotty down riggers and a few more things along with all the safety gear.

the motor is a 1995 Mariner 75hp 3 cylinder ( 131 hours )that needs a main bearing in the middle piston ( ran out of oil ) I seen the repair estimate and it comes in at 475$... other than that the boat is immaculate..

He has to sell it to me for more than he paid for it ( 20 $ ) He won it in the OFAH lottery along with a new Jeep in 1995..

Now, without ripping each other off, what would be a fair offer on this unit ?

1995Starcraft.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

Randy, That is a nice little boat package.

I have a 1993 Starcraft 170C Walleye Edition with a 1995 Yamaha 90hp on it. It came with 1 old fish finder and a 36 lbs. thrust motorguide cable steer bow mount 2 batteries, and some gear. I got itfor a "friend price" and I would think yours should be a bit more then mine. That boat is 2 years newer, has the down riggers and is in better condition. I think a fair "friend price" would be $4000 - $4500. On the market I figure he could get around $6500 - $7500. You should be able to get $2500 for yours.

Ya, 36 mph would be pushing it. Maybe on a calm day, with just the driver, and an empty fuel tank with the wind at your back, going downhill.

It would run 30 no problem though, I would think.

Its a nice boat, a buddy of mine has one just like it with a 90 Mariner. It fishes real nice too.

If you can get that for $5G, your going real good.

S.

Randy, That is a nice little boat package.

I have a 1993 Starcraft 170C Walleye Edition with a 1995 Yamaha 90hp on it. It came with 1 old fish finder and a 36 lbs. thrust motorguide cable steer bow mount 2 batteries, and some gear. I got itfor a "friend price" and I would think yours should be a bit more then mine. That boat is 2 years newer, has the down riggers and is in better condition. I think a fair "friend price" would be $4000 - $4500. On the market I figure he could get around $6500 - $7500. You should be able to get $2500 for yours.

I like it, I have a 98 Superfisherman 17' with a Yamaha 115 and it is a great package- easily towable and handles pretty rough water to boot. Good luck.

Thanks Blair .. But I'm keeping my Tracker .... I'm thinking that it's a little underpowered with the 75 .... He says he does 36 mph ... I'm having a hard time believing that ...

Ya I get 40-42 mph alone in my boat on a calm day with a 90hp. Max out at 38 mph in a chop with another person in boat. My guess is that boat is rated for up to 115hp so a 90-100 would match it well.

I just searched Ontario kijiji and CAN'T BELIEVE the asking price for 17' Aluminum Starcraft packages.

I remember researching mine and it was rated really high in the US as a utility boat. Wide beam and deep hull is good for rough water.

Mine has live well up front and a split bait well in the back. One thing I miss is the rod locker was removed when the boat was re carpeted.

Does that boat have the split transom (tree is blocking the other side)? Mine is designed to fit a short or long shaft kicker.

Edited by Nipfisher

• 2 months later...

BUMP!***

Ok , it's coming down to the wire , I need more input on what I should offer without insulting or ripping each other off ... Boat is in awesome shape but the engine needs a little repair ... HELP !

Randy

:)

In the end you are buying an almost 20 year old vessel, regardless of the shape it is in, or the number of hours on it, with a already required $500 fix. Makes you wonder what else may be involved.

Id suggest $4,500 - $4,800 if you have to pay for the fix

Don't forget about taxes - an extra cost on top of what you pay.

FWIW, I sold my '87 18' Starcraft CC for $6,000 a month ago.

It had a 75 Mariner and would do 34mph fully loaded/fueled with 2 in the boat. A 75 will do fine but that boat rocks with a 90. Very nice ride.

if the motor get fixed and runs great...

then minimum $5000 for a boat like that... comparable boats in the states are going for $6000-$10,000...now most of those had slightly bigger engines so id say for him to list at $6500-$7500...

but for you id use the motor issue to you favor and id try to get the package for around $5000

if the motor get fixed and runs great...

then minimum $5000 for a boat like that... comparable boats in the states are going for $6000-$10,000...now most of those had slightly bigger engines so id say for him to list at $6500-$7500...

but for you id use the motor issue to you favor and id try to get the package for around $5000

As it is now though - I would say 4000 is fair if he is a friend and it needs work. It will likely cost u 1000 more somehow after u buy it.

make sure to make differnt receipts for the boat, motor and trailer... it'll save on taxes. If the engine is not apart i'm unsure how the mechanic could tell it was only 1 cylinder that was damaged.. little or no compression? a nock noise? is the paint burnt or peeling on the engine block? if it is, i'd think there is more damage or since you are friends, maybe you could get it to the marina have it taken apart and make sure its just the one bearing and then make an offer. looks like a nice ride. btw i have a 16.5ft lowe with a 1999 90 mariner and it'll run 42mph 2 ppl and full tank of gas

4-4.5k. That's it. It needs motor work. Who knows what is going to be found once its opened up. Count on at least a grand to fix the engine. Once its apart, the rings and pistons may as well be changed on the other cylinders and it may need To be bored and honed. How old are the batteries?? Electronics?? Etc......