G3 boats?

ch312

how are these boats in the quality, ride, features department? i'm thinking about an angler v 165 with probably a 90hp outboard.

seeing as i currently have a little 14ft tinner, i have zero experience with bigger boats and was hoping id get some feedback before spending $20k on a boat that i may not be happy with.

do they hold their value better than other boats?

I don't have one but I sure do like the look of them so I too would like to see what people have to say here.

im leaning towards yamaha as i currently own a yamaha atv, bike, and outboard. just wondering if their boats have the same great reliability as their other products.

I just went through the same research you're doing now. In short, I liked the G3 as well and couldn't fault it in any serious way. I won't get into a welded vs rivetted discussion because I'm well aware that both have their pros and cons and both are fine.

What I found:

- G3 is a mid-range boat on the scale of quality. There are some better, some worse. You get what you pay for.

- Warranty was competitive, but had different terms for each component on the boat - read it to be sure it suits your needs.

- wood has a 10y warranty.

- I didn't see an Angler 165. I saw a 162, 164, and 167.

- You are restricted to a Yamaha outboard because of the company ties.

- some had the battery chargers installed as base equipment; nice.

- lots of colours and interior layouts

In the end, I chose a different make and went up 1 size to a 175, but it wasn't that I had any real gripes with the G3. Overall, nice boat.

Not sure how legitimate these concerns are, but I have read that they don't ride that well - push and spray a lot of water. Concerns were around hull design. But again, no idea how legitimate and/or if it was limited to a specific model.

G3 is a nice boat. Company is located in Venore, Tennessee, and wholly owned by Yamaha. They're very big in jon boats, and are known for building boats that take a real beating. The V-hull Angler series boats are designed specifically for the northern US and Canadian markets. Yamaha Canada has had a lot of input in the way these particular boats are designed and built.

I've driven several G3 models, including the 172, 175 and 185 hulls, and wrote boat tests on these for Boatguide magazine (hit the library and dig through back issues over the past three or four years). No squeaks, rattles, or bumps in any of the boats I've driven. They appear to be well made - good fit and finish, smooth ride, even the insides of the rod lockers and storage bins are nicely finished. Wiring is fully sealed and coded.

The 185 series maintain their width for most of their length (meaning they go from the pointy bow to full-width fairly quickly), which gives a lot of casting deck space. They seem to be a bit wider up front than a Lund or Alumacraft, but I did not actually measure this so take it with a grain of salt.

The 175 boats are a bit beefier than the 172 series, but fairly similar otherwise.

I've never driven one of the 160 series hulls, but have no reason to believe the quality would be any different that what I saw on the bigger boats.

I have no idea how they hold their value, because you almost never see one used. Maybe that says something?

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

When I was looking for a new boat.I looked at the G3,The only thing I didn`t like about it was the 13 degree dead raise.It felt very heavy in the water do to

the amount of drag the low dead raise produced and a little tippy from sitting higher in the water.Most deep V`s have a 17 degree.

Other then that it felt good.My Lund is a far superior hull design over all the other boats I drove.

I have heard that G3 uses Lund's old hull design. Mr Ritchie, could you confirm this or dispel the myth? I have no idea, it is just something I have heard.

I don't know if that's true or not Grimace. I've never heard that myself, but I suppose anything is possible.

It always seems that when one company comes out with something new, it's only a matter of time until their competitors also have something similar. Every boat out there probably has a bit of DNA from other brands in it.

Hey Craig, sounds like you're the guy I want to talk to. I will be buying a new 14' for the small lakes I fish near Gogama. I looked at Princecraft, Aluma craft, Lund & Naden. Right now I've narrowed my search to Lund or Naden. I want to pair it up with a 20 HP, 4 stroke Merc electric start. What R your thoughts? Is a 15 HP too slow? Merc is available at most dealers. I've been advised to buy Yammy or Honda?? Your input is appreciated. Thanx

Wormdunker,

Quite honestly, all four brands you mentioned are quality boats with good reputations. In the 14-foot range, I can't say you'll find much of a quality difference between any of those. Assuming you're buying it from a dealer, I'd suggest you consider them equal and make your decision based on the dealership you'll wind up working with. Good pricing is important, but so is good after-sales service. If there's ever a problem with your boat, you want to know the dealer will be able to help you out and look after you properly.

Here's a tip - when you buy a boat, make sure the brand you like is certified by the National Marine Manufacturer's Association (NMMA). This organization has strict quality standards, and for a manufacturer to sell boats that are NMMA-certified, they have to pass a pretty rigorous quality inspection (including a factory inspection). PM me if you would like more info on this.

Same deal for the outboard. Mercury, Honda and Yamaha are all good engines. I would once again make my decision based on the dealership. Who will be able to fix your motor if you hit a rock and need a lower unit repair? Or need a new prop? Will you have to wait weeks for parts, or will they have them in stock? Does the dealer have full-time service techs, or do they work on snowmobiles for half the year?

Between a 15 hp and a 20 hp on a boat of that size, you won't see a big difference in top-end speed, maybe 3 or 4 mph tops. That said, I'd still suggest the bigger engine. It's not much more of a price difference, and you'll have the extra oomph when you need it.

Does that help?

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

As this is your first boat, I woud recommend a LUND. It has the highest resale value, so if you don't like it, sell it.

sure, ill go out and buy a lund. right after i receive a $10k check from you for the extra funds ill need to get one. :whistling:

thanks for the help folks. i guess they dont get up on plane as easily as other makes. the 165 (16'8") is rated up to 150hp. would a 90hp be good enough?

sure, ill go out and buy a lund. right after i receive a $10k check from you for the extra funds ill need to get one. :whistling:

thanks for the help folks. i guess they dont get up on plane as easily as other makes. the 165 (16'8") is rated up to 150hp. would a 90hp be good enough?

A 90 would be a little on the small side.

I would go at least 115 if you can swing the $$$$$.

My 18 footer is rated for a 125 and I went 90 which runs it pretty decent but I will be upgrading to a 115 next year. I cruise at 27mph with the 90 and max out at 35-36 mph with it. I'm hoping to cruise at about 32-34 with the new motor while using 50% less fuel. ;)

Craig... you are the man!! lol I'm actually in the market for a new boat as well and some great pointers here man. Thanks!

Wormdunker,

Quite honestly, all four brands you mentioned are quality boats with good reputations. In the 14-foot range, I can't say you'll find much of a quality difference between any of those. Assuming you're buying it from a dealer, I'd suggest you consider them equal and make your decision based on the dealership you'll wind up working with. Good pricing is important, but so is good after-sales service. If there's ever a problem with your boat, you want to know the dealer will be able to help you out and look after you properly.

Here's a tip - when you buy a boat, make sure the brand you like is certified by the National Marine Manufacturer's Association (NMMA). This organization has strict quality standards, and for a manufacturer to sell boats that are NMMA-certified, they have to pass a pretty rigorous quality inspection (including a factory inspection). PM me if you would like more info on this.

Same deal for the outboard. Mercury, Honda and Yamaha are all good engines. I would once again make my decision based on the dealership. Who will be able to fix your motor if you hit a rock and need a lower unit repair? Or need a new prop? Will you have to wait weeks for parts, or will they have them in stock? Does the dealer have full-time service techs, or do they work on snowmobiles for half the year?

Between a 15 hp and a 20 hp on a boat of that size, you won't see a big difference in top-end speed, maybe 3 or 4 mph tops. That said, I'd still suggest the bigger engine. It's not much more of a price difference, and you'll have the extra oomph when you need it.

Does that help?

Hey guys,

I've got a G3 162 with a 4Stroke 90 on it. I really like the boat. It's nicely trimmed out, and overall well made.

It does sit a bit higher out of the water than a lot of other aluminums. I'd liken it more to an Alumacraft hull design, than an older Lund. It does feel a bit like you're driving a bathtub (hence the Alumacraft reference). When I originally got it, it did seem to push a lot of water when it was on plane. I lifted the motor up an inch, and that problem was gone. Now, with a 17p stainless it pops right up on plane in a hurry, and the bow is sufficently out of the water. Doesn't push a whole lot of water, and handles the rough stuff very well for a 16.5' boat.

Top speed with two guys, and more muskie gear than you could shake a stick at is 34mph on the gps. With two guys, and no gear she does 37mph. I'm going to swap the prop out for a 19p stainless this year. I got the 17p as I was worried about getting it on plane in a hurry in rough water, which I now know isn't a problem.

A few things I don't like about the boat.

-Rod lockers. Mine has a side locker, which originally had a divider for 4 rods, up to 7'. No good for a muskie guy. I took the sawzall to the divider as soon as I got it home. I now have a side rod locker that holds 8.5' rods, and I can pile 12-14 in there.

-Livewells. It's got two, which is nice. But they're not very big. Both are 30 and 31" long. Great for bass, or walleye guys. However, I fish a lot of pike tournies in the spring. I'm not too sure how this is going to play out. I'm thinking that I may have to do some extra running, as keeping a 40"+ alive in one of those all day might be unreasonable. The aft livewell is kind of 'L' shaped, so it's prolly 36-38" on the diagonal.

Other than that, it's a great boat for the money. I'd take a Lund over it for sure, only if there was a Yammi 4Stroke on the back of it though!