Hook 'n Look WFN

Pikeslayer

Okay, so this father and son team film this fishing show where the son is diving under water while instructing his father on board the boat.

Already 'dubious', but they consistently run bait through a same spawning bed and repeatedly catch the same fiat after multiple releases.

So they call this fishing? I call it cheating and disgusting (regardless of the state regs). I'm surprised WFN has this show featured.

Maybe I missed something?

I started a thread about this a while ago as well. While it is interesting to see the fish underwater I find the targeting of spawning fish a bit off putting. For some reason I find that that the trumping of Strikie King lures as being the only lures that will the catch these bedding fish as being a bit rediculous. I remember a story about a bass and a dill pickle that is related to this type of fishing.

I've done it while snorkeling ... It's something to see ( not spotting for anyone) it's something to see ... This show is getting old pretty quick ... I also stopped watching it along with Hooked on Utah and few others .

Randy

:)

I like the show. I am fascinated by the behaviour of Bass and this show demonstrates this. I only see a few episodes per year and to be honest, I have never witnessed them filming spawning beds.

They don't use this technique or technology to catch fish per say, but they fish while filming to show behaviour.

At least it is something different. Kim Stricker was a very successful tournament fisherman before this show was created.

Anyways, WFN has many, many other "infomercials" disguised as fishing shows.

Usually whenever I get a chance to tune in, they are broadcasting goofy "shopping channels".

I wonder why anyone bothers watching WFN at all...type in fishing on youtube and have hours of funny, entertaining, informative, unbiased, real life fishing footage for FREE! Far less people patronizing you, telling you how delicious a fish batter is, laughing insanely kissing fish, wearing a bikini in a vain attempt to keep your interest in a show that has nada to do with fishing, telling you how effective a bait/lure/reel or rod is when you know its a crock, playing bad frat boy thrash music so a show is 'EXTREME',.......sound familiar...lol,

Holy moly...i know a lot about a channel i never watch! :whistling:

I wonder why anyone bothers watching WFN at all...type in fishing on youtube and have hours of funny, entertaining, informative, unbiased, real life fishing footage for FREE! Far less people patronizing you, telling you how delicious a fish batter is, laughing insanely kissing fish, wearing a bikini in a vain attempt to keep your interest in a show that has nada to do with fishing, telling you how effective a bait/lure/reel or rod is when you know its a crock, playing bad frat boy thrash music so a show is 'EXTREME',.......sound familiar...lol,

Love It!!! what an overlooked observation .... I agree .... I must admit that I will keep watching WFN... I know I'm wasting $ on basically 6 shows that air a few times a week that I have no time to watch to begin with .. That's why I also waste $ on a PVR that has a full memory bank ... Therefore I'm paying for shows that I like that I can't watch .... ... Thanks for the enlightenment Simon... Calling Eastlink to cancel my scrip ... Saving me 150.00$/ yr ... I have 3 working PCs in the house that I can watch You Tube on and 7 wireless devices that can do the same ....

Randy

;)

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I have watched it once or twice....at first interesting then it gets boring very quickly......

It's just a different presentation to show you how fish react....you have to remember there are many States that allow you to fish bass year round and I have no problem with that.....up north you guys fish perch, bluegills and crappies during their spawning periods....WHY is that allowed...because it's no threat to that fishery and either is fishing bass year round in many States down here....so enjoy it for what it is or change the channel to Curling....LOL...

I find WFN's airing of UK Carp fishing matches from the mid 1990s much more egregious...

and BB is right, its all relative. Down south, bed fishing is completely kosher, and if you're looking for big ones, a no-brainer. I wouldn't expect anglers to go out of their way to find difficult ways to catch good fish, when obvious, entirely legal patterns are right there. The idea of the show is to film the fish in their habitat, reacting to presentations. I've seen some pretty interesting behaviors...

Edited by DoubleDigits

I find WFN's airing of UK Carp fishing matches from the mid 1990s much more egregious...

and BB is right, its all relative. Down south, bed fishing is completely kosher, and if you're looking for big ones, a no-brainer. I wouldn't expect anglers to go out of their way to find difficult ways to catch good fish, when obvious, entirely legal patterns are right there. The idea of the show is to film the fish in their habitat, reacting to presentations. I've seen some pretty interesting behaviors...

I love the "fish o mania" shows...

I find it interesting... And carp fishing is getting really big in north America... So there is an audience that wants to watch... It's like watching old superbowl classics... But for carpers...lol

Hundreds of guys travel form all over the world to fish carp on the st.lawrence river...

Edited by Musky Mike

I cringe when fishomania comes on. EMBARRASSING :blush:

I always laugh at the fishmania show but I can't help but watch it. I love the weigh in format. I make fun of it but if it is on I have to watch it.

As far as Hook and Look goes, I used to think it was good when they "fished first and then filmed underwater later". Don't know if they did that before but it was edited that way. I don't get wfn but this month it is free and I watched it yesterday and I was shaking my head when the diver was actually telling him when to reel, and when to stop. "man he is aggressive" the diver says. LOL. Really???? It is on its bed! Duh! I actually told my wife this can't be legal. SHe didn't really care as she was not really watching. I was surprised at them and kind of ashamed of them.

I have seen 2 or 3 shows and the 1st time I watched for a few min I thought "oh now that's cool" but then they said "now watch how fast it swims back to it's bed!" I was done. Sure it's legal where they are but to someone not knowing the LOCAL reg's they might think it's OK to go fishing for any fish at any time.

watch out river guys... ;)

I have seen 2 or 3 shows and the 1st time I watched for a few min I thought "oh now that's cool" but then they said "now watch how fast it swims back to it's bed!" I was done. Sure it's legal where they are but to someone not knowing the LOCAL reg's they might think it's OK to go fishing for any fish at any time.

watch out river guys... ;)

There is no excuse for not reading the reg book.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy::clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I love it!!