Any Crestliner owners out there ???

Lunker777

I hear what Shane is saying, it's one of the reasons I bought a Smoker Craft last month.

Lots of well respected members here with positive things to say about Crestliner. However when I posed the same question last month I had several members pm me telling me to avoid Crestliner.

Sometimes you just have to take all the info you've got and go with your gut.

Crestliner has awesome warranty and customer servive, And that is my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE !!

They looked after my warranty issue no questions asked and very quick.

I use my Fish Hawk 1650 on Lk Ontario all summer plus trailor it all over southern Ontario, been in pretty rough waters, no hull cracking issues what so ever. I bought it for fishing and I make full use of it, but I don't abuse it.

Any hull will split and rivits will pop if you abuse it or don't know how to drive it, every vessel has its limitations, boat, car truck or even a tank, :D

know your limits and use accordingly.

AS for fishability, one of the best layout in 16' class IMO, modified V hull (13* deadrise). 87" beam, one of the biggest front casting decks I have seen in a 16", easy to launch, easy to tow(2000 lb package). handles big water with ease yet I can fish the slop in 18 inches of water.

You won't be sorry,

Like making any other major purchase, Check for warranties across the border, make sure you get the motor you want and it comes with a good make & proper size trailer.

Check the thickness on those harbourcrafts.....apples and oranges.

S.

Yep ,exactly!!!

Most of the less expensive welded aluminum hulls are using much thinner aluminum stock that is easily over heated when welding. This over heating weakens the area next to the weld and it is more prone to crack.

I think Sinker is confusing Crestliner with Tracker, lol!

I think is just confused, the post asked for Crestliner owners. And where has anybody been to see three of anything, let alone three boats "split open".

It is a fantastic boat at at fantastic price. Do yourself a favour and PM Bernie on this board, that is if his head hasn't split open from listening to morons bash the boats he sells.

Jim

I think is just confused, the post asked for Crestliner owners. And where has anybody been to see three of anything, let alone three boats "split open".

It is a fantastic boat at at fantastic price. Do yourself a favour and PM Bernie on this board, that is if his head hasn't split open from listening to morons bash the boats he sells.

Jim

All I can say is that I am a Crestliner owner. and if Lunker can pick that rig up for what he's been quoted, then it's a great deal that he won't regret. :good:

there is a reason why planes are riveted and not wielded

and it makes sense for boats for all the same reasons..I will go with riveted boats, unless it's one hell of a deal

Funny, at one time planes were made out of wood and fabric, and now most modern aircraft are constructed from composites. So maybe all our boats should be made of composites now. :sarcasm:

Edited by Old Man

Funny, at one time planes were made out of wood and fabric, and now most modern aircraft are constructed from composites. So maybe all our boats should be made of composites now. :sarcasm:

lots of them are composites now

I know people who have had great like with wielded boats but I know people who have had nightmares with them

some companies were great about repairing them..but they lost half the summer or more getting them repaired

most rivet repairs can be done in a day......

everyone will love one or the other and will swear by the one they love and no amount of facts will change their mind...

I think you and I fit into that category

I was just wondering where do most of the welded boats crack?

Drifter explained exactly like a friends Crestliner cracked, the welds themselves are fine , they crack immmediately adjacent to the welds. This friend was also a multi ticketed maintenance welder at a Hamilton steel mill, excess heating of the material was his best guess at the cause.

I've got a 16' Fish Hawk with the 60HP 4-stroke. Its my second one, use mine a lot as I live on the lake and am retired. like to trade every 4-5 years. As I mentioned, its my second one, so I must like it. If you have a choice, check out the Northern Package vinyl floor as mentioned previously, easy to keep clean and durable.

Drifter explained exactly like a friends Crestliner cracked, the welds themselves are fine , they crack immmediately adjacent to the welds. This friend was also a multi ticketed maintenance welder at a Hamilton steel mill, excess heating of the material was his best guess at the cause.

I meant on the boat.Is it a general area or do they randomly crack where they have been welded.There not all the same grade of aluminium.

Jim

Yup, your right. I'm a confused moron. :blahblah1::asshat:

I'm only telling you what I've seen. Have you heard of any other brand of boats that split open?? (other than tracker) I'm not bashing Crestliner, I'm just not a fan of welded hulls. Period. I wouldn't buy a welded anything unless the metal was thick enough to safely weld without having to worry about it splitting open.

Buy whatever brand you want, I'm just telling you what I know. While your pm'ing Bernie, ask him how many he's seen come back for warranty work.

S.

Later this month my riveted Grumman will be 27 years old and still going strong......she has see a LOT of Lake Erie and Ontario....I knew 2 guys with Crestliners and as far as I know they didn't have any problems and they spent at least the same amount on Lake Erie....one did have a rotten floor....

Now getting back to welding vs rivets...

I worked on the railroad for 30 years....one of my jobs was to repair damaged freight cars in our shop or out on the tracks where they stood....we could weld just about anything EXCEPT safety appliances....like ladders, hand hold, sill steps, running boards etc....those had to be riveted or bolted....NO WELDING WHATSOEVER as per FRA Standards and it's the same in Canada...so think out that.... :whistling:

Funny, when I farmed, the frame of my 835 Versatile Tractor was welded together. So was the frame and hitch of the 36 ft of Morris deep tiller I pulled with it. But then again I'm talking about tractors and cultivators which have just about as much in common with boats as freight cars and airplanes do. So think that out. :whistling:

1978%20Versatile%20835%20Tractor.jpg

The big difference is SAFETY....your hitch breaks off you have to go back and get it....a grab handle or ladder breaks off the side of a box car the man could be killed. When it comes to safety the FRA takes it VERY serious and that is why those standards are in place.

BTW my boat the GRUMMAN is built by a manufacture that builds planes....many help us win WWII.... :thumbsup_anim:

Funny, when I farmed, the frame of my 835 Versatile Tractor was welded together. So was the frame and hitch of the 36 ft of Morris deep tiller I pulled with it. But then again I'm talking about tractors and cultivators which have just about as much in common with boats as freight cars and airplanes do. So think that out. :whistling:

Funny, haven't seen too many aluminum tractors or ploughs lately. Different metal, different properties.

The big difference is SAFETY....your hitch breaks off you have to go back and get it....a grab handle or ladder breaks off the side of a box car the man could be killed. When it comes to safety the FRA takes it VERY serious and that is why those standards are in place.

BTW my boat the GRUMMAN is built by a manufacture that builds planes....many help us win WWII.... :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, Grumman also built the Lunar Landers for the Apollo missions. My point is that talking about materials and construction methods for different applications is pointless. You know one of the reasons for the shift away from riveted aircraft aluminum to composites in airplane construction is due to the fact that every hole drilled for a rivet on an aircraft skin is a potential weak point. In many cases where aircraft have experience problems with metal fatigue it almost always starts with hairline cracks at the rivets. That said, does this mean that riveting aluminum is a bad way to build a boat? No, it isn't, because the two vehicle operate under and in a totally different environment and method.

Edited by Old Man