Can I just use an axe to punch holes for ice fishing?

Weeds

I'd planned on doing a little ice fishing tomorrow on Chemong most likely; probably close to the causeway where I've seen some huts. I've just noticed that my two piece auger is messed up, the handle is squashed and the 2 pieces won't thread together. I've got a firemans axe, axe blade on one side and pick on the other. Providing the ice is not overly thick (or thin) I should be ok, no? Considering this will be my only outing of the season I don't really want to spring for a new auger. Thanks

I'd planned on doing a little ice fishing tomorrow on Chemong most likely; probably close to the causeway where I've seen some huts. I've just noticed that my two piece auger is messed up, the handle is squashed and the 2 pieces won't thread together. I've got a firemans axe, axe blade on one side and pick on the other. Providing the ice is not overly thick (or thin) I should be ok, no? Considering this will be my only outing of the season I don't really want to spring for a new auger. Thanks

I would think that the rough edges could cut your line,but if you make the hole big enough that shouldn't even give you a problem,have a great day!

Ask the clown who keeps chopping 2'X2' holes around shanty bay and not marking them. Buddy is out there every day working like Paul Bunyan. There's my rant for the day. :)

hahaha saw him a few times this week ....he's making a hole every 30 minutes, hard working guy for sure....

Best thing to do is tell a little lie.......go to wherever you're going to fish and ask another angler with a auger if you can use it saying, I forgot mine and I drove a long ways and still would like to fish....now when you do this, look for a guy with a new POWER AUGER.... :whistling:

Thanks for all the replies. Axe worked pretty well, opened up a few old holes as suggested. I was surprised at the thickness of the ice, looked close to 12 inches. Initially nobody else was out there to irritate; was damn cold.

No. It's a ridiculously wet and messy affair. The final hole will only be 1-2 inches wide.

Personal experience.

Jiggy

Exactly :thumbsup_anim: My folks had a cottage with no water. We took our own water for drinking but used lake water for doing dishes and having a shower. Had an old Irish Spring commercial like shower outside...it was awesome. Anyway chopping a hole in the ice to get water was a huge PITA and that was only to make a little hole to get potable water. A hole big enough for fishing out of would be one sweaty slushy wet chore and I would not wish it on my worse enemy. If you do give it a try Raf's idea about a lanyard tie off would be a very good idea.

Edited by crappieperchhunter