Baitcaster/braided line discussion

boombap

Hi,

I was cleaning up my rods and tackle last night, jonesing for the soft water season to commence :rolleyes:

I've always used 50# power pro braid on my baitcasters, but I feel that Im not getting enough distance on my casts. What are everyones experiences with using a lighter braid on a baitcaster? I was thinking of switching to 30# but just worried about backlashes.. since 30# braid is equivalent to 8# mono, right? How do you all decide on what # line to use? Technique? Species? Anyone input would be great.

Edit: Also, are some brands of braided normally thicker than others with the same # test line?

Edited by boombap

i normally use the heaviest line i can get away with... without effecting lure action of course... or dive depth...

im assuming your talking about bass set ups... wich is something i know little about... so thats all i can say about that...

Edited by Musky Mike

I use 50# Power Pro on my MH rod, but only 30# on my lighter medium action baitcasters with no issues. Backlashes occasionally happen, but usually it's user error. :whistling:

Actual line diameter is usually listed on the box.

Edited by Jer

I usually have 55# daiwa samurai on all my bc's. I think what you're looking for is a better casting braid. All of the 8 weave braids should be better in the casting dept, but check your line diameters before hand or make sure at the store.

There's lines out there that are way thicker than they should be, some thinner(samurai is one of them).

Samurai does break a little easier, so I dont recommend 40 for bc's.

It will take a trip or two to get used to it, but I love that line.

As someone else said backlash is because of the user for the most part. If you adjust the spool tention accordingly to.all your lures you should be fine. I mean I get the odd birds nest on bot my baitcasters and its generally because I have a brain fart an do something dumb. Also if you are using a cheap baitcast reel your not going to be casting as far as someone with a higher end one. Regardless of the line one it. I know my Citica doesn't cast like my Curado or my friends Core. I don't think the line makes a difference on distance though. Never noticed any from 50# to 20# on the Citica.

Bill I agree with you about the Suffix 832 I couldn't stand it. On top of what ypu mentioned I found it frayed alot more as well and quicker.

Edited by Live2fish85

To each their own I guess, I don't think brand really has anything to do with it.

I've used 15lb PP on my Medium action baitcaster without any issue. I agree with most posts saying that you should try as best you can to match the #test to the lure(s) you are using which typically matches the technique. I use 30# on one of my MH setups, and 50# on the other, and run 65# PP on both of my heavy setups. I find I do get some backlashes but its usually human error thats causing it, not the diameter of the line.

As someone else said backlash is because of the user for the most part. If you adjust the spool tention accordingly to.all your lures you should be fine. I mean I get the odd birds nest on bot my baitcasters and its generally because I have a brain fart an do something dumb. Also if you are using a cheap baitcast reel your not going to be casting as far as someone with a higher end one. Regardless of the line one it. I know my Citica doesn't cast like my Curado or my friends Core. I don't think the line makes a difference on distance though. Never noticed any from 50# to 20# on the Citica.

Bill I agree with you about the Suffix 832 I couldn't stand it. On top of what ypu mentioned I found it frayed alot more as well and quicker.

I think the fact it got super limp when wet was why it was wrapping so badly. I fish a lot of topwater and it was driving me insane. It casts very good however. Never had an issue with braid doing this before.

I use braid ranging from 40to 80 lbs on my baitcasters, and don't have any complaints with casting distance, but I tend to throw heavier baits. Backlashes are pretty much always of my own doing, for sure.

As far as diameter is concerned,I still have a spool of Sufix Performance Fuse 30 lb, on one of my baitcasters. It's almost as thick as the 80 lb Power Pro. Mind you, that line is older by a couple of seasons, and has seen a lot more action, so it's "fuzzier", but a thick line for its rated strength, for sure.

Boombap, below is my braid setups.

30lb braid for spinnerbaits, topwaters, and basically any other horizontal type baits where you are casting. However now I have gone back to 17lb mono or fluorocarbon when throwing the above.

50lb or 65lb braid is what I use for topwater frog fishing in heavy cover.

50lb for flipping and pitching

80lb for punching slop mats and dunking thick weedbeds.

You didn't ask about spinning, but I go with straight 20lb, doesn't matter what I am throwing when I use braid.

Backlashes are due to user error mostly. In time they slow down, but never go away. I still get them, especially when there is a camera boat around or some folks watching from shore :)

Good Luck,

Phil

Edited by Harrison

I think the fact it got super limp when wet was why it was wrapping so badly. I fish a lot of topwater and it was driving me insane. It casts very good however. Never had an issue with braid doing this before.

Same here if I am not out drop shottin I am generally in using top water in bays along Erie and I had the same problem. An yes it does cast better then power pro but not enough to counter the problems with it. Even if I am tossing spinners I found it to do the exact thing when you jerk the spinner. Stuff is just garbage other then casting. I also found the nanofil wasn't great other then for casting. Mind you nanofil is nice for icefishing.

I run spiderwire on all my baitcasters, from 20-65lb test depending on the rod and technique. No issues with any of them. Used power pro in the past, hated it. Won't use it again, tuff line I also used, wasn't bad. But I just prefer spiderwire over all else.

Power Pro for me as well. All my baitcasters have 50 pound accept for the crank bait rod. It has 15 pound mono. The spinning rods all have 20 pound power pro. The only acception is my frog rod, it has 65 pound PP and its a spinning rod.Yes a spinning rod for a frog rod. I like the extra distance on my frog setup. I tried going with a baitcaster but I like the extra distance to cast beyond the lilly pads. The longer the cast for a frog rod the better as far as I am concerned.

I was under the impression that thinner diameter = further chances of casting. That's what I've read online ect.. but who knows.

I was thinking of putting 30# power pro or spider wire on a couple of my setups and see how they do.

15lb braid has the breaking strength of like 30lb mono. Might wanna re-think your casting technique, lol.

Lets say powerpro, ive seen some tests where it broke at between 17-20lb, alot less than 30lb mono.

With tension near rocks or other cover, my line got cut off no problem, same with casting, threw out the whole spool.

I do cast really hard though lol, could almost empty the whole spool on my daiwa alpha

Edited by danbob

PowerPro all the way for me here, I would suggest the new superslick PowerPro, you can hardly tell its a braid, stay with the 50# and see the difference. I had my baitcaster spooled with it last year towards the end of the season and all I can say is wow.

RED