"Unattended" lines

Fishnwire

I have no problem seeing that if I'm asleep in my shack, any lines I have outside are "unattended" and therefore illegal. What about a line in the shack that has some sort of sounding device (bells, a buzzer, a rattle) attached to it? Could I take a nap in my shack and (legally) have a line in there if it's likely I'll be woken up by a strike?

I guess another question would be...just how "sporting" is it to fish while unconscious? I rarely keep fish and almost never one that isn't badly wounded. The only reason I'd be interested in having a line while I sleep is out of curiosity. If it's flat-out illegal...than that answers any questions about how "sporting" it is. If it isn't in contravention of any rules or regulations, it's something I can see wanting to try. I would be cool to be woken up at around 2 am and not be able to get back to sleep for hours because the bite is on. The next night I'd set the alarm clock to wake me up around 1:50, and hope to repeat.

When I running line at night, I crank the volume on my fish alarm on the Humminbird.

It wakes me up everytime there's a fish under the hut. Rod it within arms reach, so I just reach over and start jigging.

Edited by N.A.W

There is no regulation that says you have to be awake while fishing. :sleeping_02:

You must be within 60 m (197 ft.) at all times of any

line or tip-up you are using when ice fishing and you must have a clear and

unobstructed view of the lines being used at all times.

Is your view obstructed with your eyes closed?

We have used buzzers and screamers (fish alarms) on outside lines even when we are awake. It limits the time the fish is hooked and therefore would be more sporting in my opinion.

There is no regulation that says you have to be awake while fishing. :sleeping_02:

You must be within 60 m (197 ft.) at all times of any

line or tip-up you are using when ice fishing and you must have a clear and

unobstructed view of the lines being used at all times.

Is your view obstructed with your eyes closed?

We have used buzzers and screamers (fish alarms) on outside lines even when we are awake. It limits the time the fish is hooked and therefore would be more sporting in my opinion.

I would think you you don't have a clear View & your view would be Obstructed unless your eyes work different then mine, the Question is would they Charge you for it, likely depends on the CO, I wouldn't want to be the Guy they nail for it, Guys on the forums can be Brutal on some Subjects lol

Thanx & Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

I use circle hooks on all my set lines so 98% of the time I will not deep hook a fish even if I don't run to my tipdowns as soon as I see action on them. The other 2% will have just stolen my bait.

As for being asleep with a line in your shack you can use bells or a rattle reel.

I don't know how legal this it is or not but I would not hessitate to fish with a alarm when your sleeping, you have just as good a chance deep hooking a fish asleep or awake with a tip up. give er. You definately have the right Idea as far as times as as far catching walleye is concerned. In colledge a buddy kept 3 little walleye in a 300 gal tank, with all the bait needed and structure. I made this guy a buddy because I would fish for hours and this guy would just fish an hour er so every now and again. Always when the fish were bitting. I could not figure out how he knew. Until I was playing card in his appt and he just dropped the cards and said it is time to fish When I asked why he said the fish in the tank were feeding. He charted it and there was a definate pattern not exact but like 5 to 15 minutes later every day from the previous day it was wild totally improved my time spent to number of fish ratio. Not sure weather this was legal but I learned alot about Kawartha walleye`s. Thought you would like that story. I wish I had taking to take his info and cross reference it to lunar cycles, and barametric pressuere. good luck