Is There Many Other Loners Here?

bushart

Ok....My next b'day I'm going to be 51

Been fishing since I was 6 and hunting since I was 15.

And by practicing these things---one part I always, always treasured-----the ability to get away from rat races and crowds of people.

When I was a kid I used to visit my uncles farms and that was great---heck one still did'nt have hydro and it was fun to go outside and pump water to drink from the well.

But in recent memory---my little hideaways are slowly leaving---Constantly running into all kinds of folks pushing in farther and farther.

It is getting harder these days to just do simple things---I used to be able to walk down some country roads and never see a vehicle---now you need orange not to get hit

The lake I live by---in the summer I have to see if there is yet another tournament going on (which is most summer and fall weekends) because you would'nt get a parking spot

Even in Northwestern Ontario--where you'd think there was enough room-----nope---trophy deer gets shot and people are going in droves. Met a guy from Michigan years ago on the crown and he made out like I was trespassing on his land. etc. etc.

I know the world is changing---and yes--I'm reaching dinosaur status---but I'm just a little sad sometimes to see it go.

Then it's a little compounded when I consider stuff like this by David Suzuki (maybe a board bro can help me again with this link)

K i'm done feelin sorry for myself now.

When I lived up in French River many years ago I use to love taking my rifle or fishing rod and just walking off into the bush, never knew where I would end up or when I'd come back out.

There are still many places you can do that sort of thing but you do have to go further North to find them. I'm 66 now and can't quite go for as long or as far as I use to but I still love just going and sitting in my deer stand for hours at a time and watch nature do it's thing.

Thanks Cliff and I hear ya---- years ago I remember setting up a spot where I knew this buck was hangin around---took like an hour to walk into--and yup here comes buddy on his 4 wheeler stoppin by wantin to ask me questions

Guess my fault--I should have bought a 4 wheeler to get further away

Still plenty of room to get away from it all once you leave the center of the universe that is Ontario. :tease: :tease: :tease:

I am often out on the land and do not see another soul.

Even in the far North you can't completely get away from civilization though.

I have been 100's of kms from the nearest town and you can't get away from plane traffic.

All you need to do is look up and you can see the contrails of jets and sometimes you can hear them even though they are flying at 35,000 feet.

I live in the Whitby area and it's brutal out here. I love the time I do get to go fishing alone or with friends as i just tune out and be... When it comes to this time of year it's hard to find peace on the ice as the closest ice is Scugog and everyone knows it's a zoo at best. I would rather sit in 'Sin city' (Sinclair's hut) and fish then go to a b-day party of some sort (beer involved or not!). I just love to get away and try and clear my mind; fish or no fish.

Just turned 60 and I agree, although with older age comes the ability to zone out and nobody notices. Go to the local lake, find a nice spot with a tree, line with a bobber in the water and ignore everyone. Hearing is going so it's easier.:Gonefishing:

Ok....My next b'day I'm going to be 51

Been fishing since I was 6 and hunting since I was 15.

And by practicing these things---one part I always, always treasured-----the ability to get away from rat races and crowds of people.

When I was a kid I used to visit my uncles farms and that was great---heck one still did'nt have hydro and it was fun to go outside and pump water to drink from the well.

But in recent memory---my little hideaways are slowly leaving---Constantly running into all kinds of folks pushing in farther and farther.

It is getting harder these days to just do simple things---I used to be able to walk down some country roads and never see a vehicle---now you need orange not to get hit

The lake I live by---in the summer I have to see if there is yet another tournament going on (which is most summer and fall weekends) because you would'nt get a parking spot

Even in Northwestern Ontario--where you'd think there was enough room-----nope---trophy deer gets shot and people are going in droves. Met a guy from Michigan years ago on the crown and he made out like I was trespassing on his land. etc. etc.

I know the world is changing---and yes--I'm reaching dinosaur status---but I'm just a little sad sometimes to see it go.

Then it's a little compounded when I consider stuff like this by David Suzuki (maybe a board bro can help me again with this link)

K i'm done feelin sorry for myself now.

Wow , i felt just like that too when i turned 51 , weird hu

Shmuck .....LOL....that was just the other day //////// was'nt it....

You know Ron.. Having flash backs is an early sign of Dementia.

You should talk to your doctor about that.

And Bush.. I've got a ways to go yet before I hit the big Five-Oh. But I hope that when I get there, there's still some places I can go to relax in the peace and quiet. Ones that I don't have to drive a day to get to!

Edited by N.A.W

I hope so--I used to fish creeks in Southern Ontario---nowhere near the same today

I hear you on that one. Small creek within a half hour drive of Kitchener produced a 17 & 16" speckle trout for me in "the good old days". In fact one creek even closer than that would consistently give up 12" specks with the odd nice resident rainbow.

You know Ron.. Having flash backs is an early sign of Dementia.

You should talk to your doctor about that.

And Bush.. I've got a ways to go yet before I hit the big Five-Oh. But I hope that when I get there, there's still some places I can go to relax in the peace and quiet. Ones that I don't have to drive a day to get to!

I just hope when i finish here and retire i can still remember where my hide out is in northern Quebec that i have hidden away at Mt P

I hear ya. One of the things that killed my first marriage was not just my ex, but her family. To them there always had to be hoards of people around, and the discussions always had to be about their huge family. I have always valued solitude, and when I used to go out on my nature walks on a Sunday afternoon, instead of being at the in'law's place getting all the latest family gossip, they thought I was weird. Some people just cannot understand that there is a great difference between being alone and being lonely. Trekking through the woods with my binoculars and camera made me feel alive and connected to everything around me. Sitting in their living room with half a dozen of them made me the loneliest person in the world.

Call me lucky , i grew up with dead silence in the country where we lived . Funny i took a girlfriend there i was dating from Toronto who had never been out of the city , thought it would be a great thing for her to expeirance , we arrived and shut the car off and i aked her to step out and listen , i then could'nt get out of the car fast enough to find out what all the screaming was about , there she was with both hands over her ears screaming like mad saying it hurt , can you belive that , silence hurt her ears . I was'nt long getting rid of her i'll tell ya .......... lol . Silence is golden in my books and getting harder to find in this world , but like you say , if you look you can still find small pockets of it here and there . I did a test one time to see just how much noise we live with every day , at the time i live out in the country with dead silence but there was some thting that buzzed in my ears and i wanted to see if i could make it stop and hear complete silence , i got it when i shut the main breaker of in the house and cut all the power off , its surprizing how much noise our houses make . The wife and i vacation every year as many times as we can in the mountains of Quebec just to injoy the silence . Think we're nuts , come with us some time and you be the judge .

So There seems to be a significant group of us---the sit under a tree on a summer day on a hillside gang :thumbsup_anim:

Here's one more---I live in a small town now---used to live on a lake in Northwestern Ontario---that's another story

Our town has approx. 1000 folks------when the weather gets warm-----almost every 2nd night---partying teenagers----up and down the street---3-4 in the morn----screaming---puking---vandalizing etc.

I guess I'm weird---when I was younger--yes I did some partying---but i always hit the sack at a decent time cause I was goin fishin the next day

Pretty tough to sleep---so one day I'm thinking we'll be on the move yet again---sticks---here I come

So There seems to be a significant group of us---the sit under a tree on a summer day on a hillside gang :thumbsup_anim:

Here's one more---I live in a small town now---used to live on a lake in Northwestern Ontario---that's another story

Our town has approx. 1000 folks------when the weather gets warm-----almost every 2nd night---partying teenagers----up and down the street---3-4 in the morn----screaming---puking---vandalizing etc.

I guess I'm weird---when I was younger--yes I did some partying---but i always hit the sack at a decent time cause I was goin fishin the next day

Pretty tough to sleep---so one day I'm thinking we'll be on the move yet again---sticks---here I come

When that happens don't forget to take us all with you . AAAAAAAAA! we're all going to bushs place ....beep beep , wait up Franky wants to come ..... Hey! don't forget to bring the tunes ........... LOL .

Even small town Ontario has been struck with urban disease. Any calm or warm weekend night and the streets are filled with drunk, stoned and passed out kids at 4 in the morning. Or they are down one of the rural roads setting off 20' bonfires that have cops and firefighters scrambling.

Yeah it's a treat---try to capture something simple like a nice breeze through the bedroom window on a summer's night---perfect mix for sleepin

Nope----the screaming parade starts like clockwork anywhere from 1-4 am

Gave up on putting solar lights in the front garden---just ended up sweeping the smashed bits off the middle of the road