Is There Many Other Loners Here?

bushart

You need to live where we do, about the only noises you hear around here are the loons, coyoties, that sort of thing. We are lucky I guess, deer still wander through our yard from time to time and most of the people that live around here are quiet and respectful of each others privacy.

You need to live where we do, about the only noises you hear around here are the loons, coyoties, that sort of thing. We are lucky I guess, deer still wander through our yard from time to time and most of the people that live around here are quiet and respectful of each others privacy.

Same thing over this way Cliff, nice & peaceful with about the only noises coming from the critters wandering around.

Now if I could just get the locals to put rubber tires and those darned buggies goin down the road past my house it'd be even quieter :lol:

Cnv0600.jpg

There still are places in Northern Ontario where you can get away from it all if your not afraid to load your gear in a boat and cross a lake of go up or down a river and are willing to rough it a bit.

I know I'm going to upset some people, but nothing represents the modern intrusion into the bush to me more than those "darn" ATV's. I have no problem with them being used to draw fire wood or water or pull out a moose, but when I see the number of people who let their 10 year olds rip around on them and tear up what were once good walking trails, I see red. There is one old logging road near Timmins where my Dad and I spent many long hours walking together with our dogs in the Fall and I'll bet Dad is spinning in his grave because of what the ATV's have done to it. One of the ironies about this area is that for the years we walked it, we were also wlaking on a gold mine. There is now an operating underground gold mine extracting ore from under that trail. I to am a type of loner, even if my remaining years are limited. Hopefully, Mr. Harper will let me start collecting my OAS this Fall. LOL!

Bush,NWO is still a great place to live.

I spent almost the first 40 yrs of my life in Dryden,but could never live in a town/city again.

2 hours in a big city & I have had enough.

This is the deck veiw where I spend my winters.

001-39.jpg

And this the deck veiw where I spend the other 3 seaons.

001-24.jpg

Life in the north is Great.

I'm in Oshawa but am from the country. I am still amazed at how close relatively undisturbed spots are for those that make the effort. It might not be what it used to be...I can't argue with that... but peace and solitude AND good fishing are not to far away...especially if you are lucky enough to be able to sneak out midweek.

There have been times I've gone to my camp by myself for 4 or 5 days in a row and never spoken to or seen another human being the whole time. It's nice to be able to do that but eventually I get lonely and the sound of an approaching quad is something I long for.

Without talk radio on Sirius satellite I'd go nuts.

You really have to go deep into the bush and over a few long portages to ENSURE peace and quiet. If you can reach it by boat or atv good luck!! Its weird when there's No noise. Unsettling at first.

dan o.

Perhapes later in life you will find no noise to be your Medicine ...lol

This is why I take my few weeks off every year and head out to my Grandmothers out in Eastern Ontario. Even though in the last 3 years people fishing the lakes I do has increased. I can still walk down to my boat on any 5:30am morning and have the small lake to myself, my boat being the first across that day. It's very different here, I got out to Sturgeon lot's last fall and liked the fishing but not the people. You can not have a small boat on that Scugog River coming out of Lindsay or you might die. Gonefishin and I went there a half dozen times last year and every time it's the same thing. Bigger boats and ignorant people. Honestly, in the "no wake" or at least speed zones. Those people in the big fiberglass boats fly by every time and yes they watch us turn our boat to face there waves even before they pass us. Still we take the waves and flip the finger every time.

All thing's aside, Kesagami gave me another perspective on this world. Being up north not needing to know a thing in the world but what's for dinner when u get into shore was great. Loved the "life" up there.

MTBF

* Dam, I need to get out bass fishing. :wallbash:

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I have been following this thread for a couple of days. Brought back so many memories from days gone by. I thought i would share a place, where i spent many many summer days, soemtines alone, sometimes with dad.

Dad was born and raised in Jones Falls Ontario. His dad worked on the locks there, as a carpenter in the winter, and guided on White and Sand Lakes in the summer. He would trap beaver and Muskrat in the fall and spring. His mom worked at the Kenney Hotel in the laundry room.

The Daughter of the owner, i knew her as Miss Kenney, was my kindergarten teacherclapping.gif When i lived in Kingston.

I havent been back there in almost 40 years, but the images in my mind are still vivid. I fished Sand and Whitefish Lake with my dad, as a kid.It was then, and still is now, my idea of peace and beauty.I would spend hours sitting at the top of the stone arch dam, looking down at the water leaking for the turbine supply tubes, watching the tree tops swaying in the breeze. Have a look at my idea of heaven on earth. I would love to get back there, and relive all the best of my childhood.Maybe fish some spots that i use to with Dad. Have a look.The place still looks exactly as it did 40 years ago.The Kenney hotel is the building in the background of the 3rd photo.

http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/videos/vid-05-jonesfalls.html