I had a coffee with my Granpda today

NAW

My Grandpa isn't one to beat around the bush. He's 83. According to him, the average man lives to be 82. So in his mind, he aint got long.

Every time I see him, he always asks me what I want to get from him when he dies. It makes me feel weird, but I play along. So far he's set aside half a dozen wall mounts (2 bass, a pickerel, a pike and two musky). A few antler mounts (One moose, two caribou, and a few deer), and several other small interesting items he has on display at the house.

Today he sent me home with some interesting fishing items that I thought I would share with you.

The first is a peace of art that he made. My grandpa is an avid artist. He has at least 60 paintings in the house, and several other things he's created in his life time. This is a little dish he made from copper, and did something called copper enamel. Not sure the exact proccess. But the one he chose to give to me was very....Fitting :clapping:

DSC02600.jpg

The next was his fishing rod and real. Matching Abu Garcia King Fisher 44. The rod has lost it's backbone, and will never be used. The reel might catch another fish one day though!

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02604.jpg

He also gave me an old 3 peace bamboo fly rod. The handle can be removed, and put on the other way around. It's in good shape for an old rod.

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02609.jpg

DSC02608.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

I have some questions about this rod.

1. Does any know the make?

2. How about the rough age of this rod?

3. What's with the "hex" shape? Is there benefits to this over round?

4. Does anyone still use nimble light action bamboo rods like this anymore? It gets very thin at the end. 1/8" or less.

5. What would an old rod like this be worth in this condition?

And finally. Not really fishing related. But this very cool old "Mono pod" seat. Great for carrying along with you on a walk, or hunting.

DSC02614.jpg

DSC02615.jpg

I enjoy spending time with my Grandparents. There not going to be around forever. I see my grandpa's point in wanting to give away some of his stuff before he dies (hopefully not for a long time). This way he can actually get to see us enjoy it. :)

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Edited by N.A.W

Bamboo rods have a hex shape as they are made with six triangular pieces of bamboo. Doesn't necessarily make it valuable but they are more rare. And I doubt it ever had much backbone compared to todays rods.

Nice keepsakes.

Edited by kickingfrog

Nick,

I lost my dad 3 years ago. He was a terrific fisherman. I still miss him terribly. I gave him a nice G Loomis rod for fathers day a few years before he died. When trying to decide who would get it, my wife and I decided to use it as a wall quilt rack holder for a fishing quilt my wife made and hung it in mother's house.

Just saying that its not how much the value of the item is to others, its priceless to us. You have some mighty nice items there.

Treasure them.

Sorry to here about your dad. I agree about the treasures. Selling any of these items in not an option.

I'll find a nice way to display the rod in my home. I need to find a nice old reel to go with it somewhere.

I don't know about everyone else but that plate is the best. Wall mounts and such are cool but this was made by his hands and is the real keepsake to remember him by. Hell, if I were you, I'd lay claim to all the art work he made ;)

It's good to see you're spending time with him and I bet he has some good stories as well.

I don't know about everyone else but that plate is the best. Wall mounts and such are cool but this was made by his hands and is the real keepsake to remember him by. Hell, if I were you, I'd lay claim to all the art work he made ;)

It's good to see you're spending time with him and I bet he has some good stories as well.

I couldn't agree more :thumbsup_anim:

He caught all the fish, and created all the wall mounts him self, with the help of my uncle. So they have some serious family value to them as well.

It's awesome having an artist in the family. He has about 60 paintings in his house, and each family member has another 5 or 10 each.

All the paintings have some sort of memory behind them. He's got about a dozen oil paintings that he did by looking at pictures of where we used to live up in Pickle Lake. I would really love to get a couple of them for my new house. Even if I have to buy them from him.

He's got about 10 more if the copper dishes too.

That's what happens when you're a work-aholic, but you retire at 55!!

Edited by N.A.W

I have some questions about this rod.

1. Does any know the make?

2. How about the rough age of this rod?

3. What's with the "hex" shape? Is there benefits to this over round?

4. Does anyone still use nimble light action bamboo rods like this anymore? It gets very thin at the end. 1/8" or less.

5. What would an old rod like this be worth in this condition?

I've got some cool hand-me-downs from both my grandads in fact I'm restoring a bamboo fly rod from one of them at the moment to hopefully make it fishable this year. To try and answer your questions.......

With the logo rubbed off, hard to tell the make. There were a lot around in the 50's and 60s (as mentioned by someone else) with many being brought back from the far east by guys serving in the military.

If the ferrules still fit OK with no wobble and there's no delamination of the bamboo (splits along the length between the pieces of bamboo) I'd fish it - start with a few panfish and see how it goes - perhaps pair it with something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GARCIA-MITCHELL-306-REEL-MINTY-Completely-Original-INCLUDES-VERY-NICE-HANDLE-/400272781309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d321deffd. FWIW my fly rod is about 2mm diameter at the tip and it's a 6wt so not exactly light. It won't be as fast actioned as a graphite rod but the backbone will still be there!

They're not worth much ($30 maybe) but a great thing to have with lots of fishing mojo I'm sure :)

Lucky man NAW.

Does any know the make? I think it is a Horrocks Ibbotson

How about the rough age of this rod? 50's

What would an old rod like this be worth in this condition? About $20 - $30 bucks.

Nice rod. It may of actually been a 4 pc at one time. Not 100% sure, but there may of been another butt section with a fly reel seat. The one pictured is the spinning.

I still have some of my grandpa's, they're priceless. Looks sharp hanging on the wall in the basement too.

edit

Just saw Fisherman mentioned the 4pc already. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Harrison

My Grandpa isn't one to beat around the bush. He's 83. According to him, the average man lives to be 82. So in his mind, he aint got long.

BAH! My Dad's 88 and he's probably in better shape than I am, tell your Grandpa to keep going full-tilt! The only thing the Grim Reaper deserves is a giant middle finger!

And finally. Not really fishing related. But this very cool old "Mono pod" seat. Great for carrying along with you on a walk, or hunting.

DSC02614.jpg

Ah yes, more properly called a 'shooting stick'. I have one too, haven't got around to using it yet but your post has just given me a nudge.

If the ferrules still fit OK with no wobble and there's no delamination of the bamboo (splits along the length between the pieces of bamboo) I'd fish it - start with a few panfish and see how it goes - perhaps pair it with something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GARCIA-MITCHELL-306-REEL-MINTY-Completely-Original-INCLUDES-VERY-NICE-HANDLE-/400272781309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d321deffd. FWIW my fly rod is about 2mm diameter at the tip and it's a 6wt so not exactly light. It won't be as fast actioned as a graphite rod but the backbone will still be there!

I think my other Grandpa has some really old reels in the boat house. I'll grab one next time I'm up and give it a whirl.

Thanks eh!

Does any know the make? I think it is a Horrocks Ibbotson

How about the rough age of this rod? 50's

What would an old rod like this be worth in this condition? About $20 - $30 bucks.

Nice rod. It may of actually been a 4 pc at one time. Not 100% sure, but there may of been another butt section with a fly reel seat.

All the ones I've researched on line are 4 peace. Either this one is rare, or it's missing a peace.

The orientation of the handle can be flipped around for fly fishing.

BAH! My Dad's 88 and he's probably in better shape than I am, tell your Grandpa to keep going full-tilt! The only thing the Grim Reaper deserves is a giant middle finger!

Ah yes, more properly called a 'shooting stick'. I have one too, haven't got around to using it yet but your post has just given me a nudge.

I was thinking it would be good for a shooting rest.

Thanks for the comments to far everyone :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by N.A.W

There's a club in Scarberia that's still building bamboo rods, or at least they were 6-7 years ago when I was a member. Theey fish places such as B'ville creek for browns etc. If you want to dig more deeply into bamboo rods you could try contacting them. I'm not sure if |Gord Deval is still around.

http://www.pathcom.com/~coachman/

Knuguy ,Gord I think is still around last I saw him and Paul Quarrington was in 2010 .. I allso was a member, guess I still am tho have not been to any outing since 2010 .. Me and my son have built many bamboo rods .. The reason for the shape is you take the 6 bamboo strips and cut them at angles that gives you hex shape when glued together, I know there are guys who buy blanks and than attach guides and a reel seat and call them selves ROD BUILDERS , And Im not trying to take away their skills but a well made BAMBOO rod is just that "IT WAS MADE by the builder" . Gord DEval is what I call a rod builder and I own two rods he built for me and each is a work of art , and anyone who enjoys reading , Gords books about fishing are great reads ... And anyone in the know, the Canadian casting team is one of the best in the world .

Edited by capt bruce

Knuguy ,Gord I think is still around last I saw him and Paul Quarrington was in 2010 .. I allso was a member, guess I still am tho have not been to any outing since 2010 .. Me and my son have built many bamboo rods .. The reason for the shape is you take the 6 bamboo strips and cut them at angles that gives you hex shape when glued together, I know there are guys who buy blanks and than attach guides and a reel seat and call them selves ROD BUILDERS , And Im not trying to take away their skills but a well made BAMBOO rod is just that "IT WAS MADE by the builder" . Gord DEval is what I call a rod builder and I own two rods he built for me and each is a work of art , and anyone who enjoys reading , Gords books about fishing are great reads ... And anyone in the know, the Canadian casting team is one of the best in the world .

Not to hijack, but I had 3 good trips with Gord & co. One to "A/B" Lakesthumbsup_anim.gif. Have you been there lately? Gord is an inventor, too. Do you have one of his ice fishing buzzer set-ups?

As I said have not seen him since 2010 , who do you think gave him the idea , was working for the city than and had a few guys in the machine shop make up some ... lol hope the boss is not reading ... have 10 or so .. before my illness had 8 huts on the bog I would rent out .. when its dark and many wobbly pops the buzzers sure helped ... wake up dude you got a hit ... lmao

You're a lucky man Nick, you've got some real treasures there.

Not to hijack, but I had 3 good trips with Gord & co. One to "A/B" Lakesthumbsup_anim.gif. Have you been there lately? Gord is an inventor, too. Do you have one of his ice fishing buzzer set-ups?

I'm envious that you guys know Gord Duval. I've admired him for many years, particularly his annual quests for giant brookies in northern QC.

I can relate to any man with that particular passion.

Used to go into Beanpole and the unnamed lake a few 100 yds portage to the south back when Dad had a cottage in Haliburton, bows in Beanpole and specs later splake in the other. I've read Gord used to fish those 2 a lot too. :whistling: The only reason I recall that was Dad was a very proficient tournament caster in the 50's and Gord was always the man to beat, remember the name. A/B lakes I believe are in the same area from what I gather.

Very nice Nick.. great that you have all those generations to yack with !! That fold out rest/seat/what have you.. that's slick. Jen could probably use an adaptation of that as a cane and a butt rest. More food for thought in the shop....

Thanks for sharing all (well some of) Gramps gems!

Edited by irishfield