A great day on the ice with my son

I'll try to set this up a little bit so maybe you folks can appreciate what today meant to me. My son has never been a fisherman despite my best efforts when he was younger to get him interested in my passion. He moved out of the house in Aug 2010 at 21 and bought himself a townhouse. He is currently working part time and going to college full time. So he has school 5 days a week and works both days on the weekend. Frankly I have no clue how he pulls it all off. To say he is busy is a gross understatement.

So one night this week I get a message on Facebook. Dad I don't work this weekend...do you wanna take me out ice fishing? I think he was 8-10 the last time he was on the ice with me. Take you fishing...HELL YES !!!

I had tentative plans made to hook up with someone from the board here. I PM'd that individual and explained my situation and that I was going to get out with my boy instead. He was a class act and gracious about it and for that I am grateful. Phil thank you for your understanding. Hopefully we can do it some other time.

So we fished out of Port Bolster today from 7:30 until 2:30 and managed 11 keeper perch between the 2 of us...one of my worst days ever on the ice for perch...but it was a great day. We had an hour in the car up and an hour back to solve the problems of the world and 7 hours on the ice to torment a few fish and just spent a good day catching up. It was over way to fast for me.

This past summer he got out in the boat with me twice as well. So three times in the last year. For the first time I have a glimmer of hope that he has started to actually enjoy time spent fishing.

Some times the best days on the water have nothing to do with catching fish. Today was one of those days for ME :thumbsup_anim:

That is great! If he finally got a day off and you are the first one he phoned (especially at 21) then he must hold you in the highest regard. It sounds like he is taking a liking for fishing as well.

I have not fished with my father since September. We use to fish together every week-end. We have both been busy at work and I have a little boy now. When I was 25 I figured out that my father was right about all those things I thought he was wrong about. We have been inseparable ever since.

:thumbsup_anim::good:

What a great message to receive and congatulations on an excellent day fishing with your son.

Congratulations to your son also, working, going to school and purchasing a home! He's really a busy boy and deserves a pat on the shoulder. Now then, can I send my son over to meet him and take some lessons?

Good on you and Jake !!!...

You didn't mention you and Jake's annual carp fishing event on Father's Day...

You know, the one where he takes my spot over at our two-swim area at Carp Point...

Only fair though...he did help move some of the boulders out of the way...clapping.gif

Now to start working on your grandson...

great story! I think i'm going to call my dad to see if he wants to go fishing. There isn't enough time in a day or week or even a month in that matter. Sometimes you just have to make time... thats for making me realize that. Great to hear you two had some great father and son time. Catching some fish was just a bonus

Nick

Thx all for the replys. It was a Great day for us. I was so stoked I even took my camera and was actually going to try and post some pictures with my report..which would have been a first for me. Got out there, got set up and grabbed my camera to get an action shot of Jake drilling his first hole EVER...AND my camera says "LOW BATTERY" Just my luck. :wallbash: Soon forgotten though and Jake got some pics with his phone that he shared with me on Facebook so I was happy about that.

Get out with whoever is important to you. That's what it's all about :thumbsup_anim: