New boat?

trevy727

I was at the boat show today and I'm really considering a Legend 18 Xtreme.

In fact, I'm taking my wife back to the show Sunday morning to put a down payment and sign the papers unless I get a bunch of negative feedback from you guys/ gals.

I've never been in a legend until today but they seem real nice and very well priced compared to some others. I've always had my heart set on a Lund, but after seeing the difference in prices, I don't think you get the money's worth.

Any and all comments from everyone will be very much appreciated. I know that there's a ton of knowledge here and I respect everyone's opinion on my upcoming purchase.

Thanks

Did you upgrade the motor package? That's one thing I noticed when we started to look for a new boat. Lots of features, great price, but extremely underpowered in the standard package. We ended up with a used Lund, couldn't be happier.

Edited by BillM

My thoughts are the same as everyone else

Know a few legend owners-all like the boat but most wish they had upgraded the engine.

I actually think the ads they do in Ontario out of Doors, shows and other places are borderline false advertising:

16 and a half foot fully rigged boats with. 25 horse for under $10000 is not a great deal IMO

legend boats are good boats

the guys that I know that have them are very happy

they all upgraded the motor

and that is the only problem I have, they so under power the boats to have a great low price that you get 3 big guys i the boat and try going into the waves and you can't get up on plane...very dangerous when you need control and power to survive .....

but once you know you need to more then double the HP, you have a great package

Ok, after some research and reviews I've decided to hold off on my purchase. I will be buying a 18-19' aluminum boat this year just not this weekend. I really want brand new but I've been on the Internet and have seen a few new 2010 models with drastically reduced prices so I think I'll go that direction.

Thanks for all the opinions and replies, I really appreciate it. I'll show it off when I finally make my purchase.

Fall is also a great time to buy a boat, people always trying to get rid of their toys :)

I'm looking for a 12' tinny right now to drop into a back lake up here.

Problem is there are very few available so I have my buddies in Alaksa looking for me so I can pick one up in the fall. Got a line on a 14' jon/trailer that needs a new transom for $100. I can probably unload the trailer for $50 and carry the boat on my roof rack and have a $50 boat to leave in the bush. :thumbsup_anim:

Will likely want a 130 hp or better 150h hp 4 stroke with a 18-19 ft IMO

Got a 90 on my 18 footer and it cruises at 25-27mph and tops out at 35-36mph.

It's rated for max 115 hp.

Make sure you look at the max hp rating of the hull and get an OB within 20% of max and you will be fine.

Loving the comments. Every manufacture is out to make a great boat and I happen to work for one of them. if you guys have notice we are 1 of few companies that list pricing on our boats. Yes we use smaller HP as a price point but it gives the customer the ability to choose the appropriate horse power for their needs. Most dealers that sell the manufactures product buy them pre-rigged and try to sell you the package with a massive horse power. Our pricing is upfront and shows you how much more it is to choose more power.

screenshot20120123at426.png

I will be using the 18 Xtreme with a 115HP 4-Stroke this year for my Tournaments. I cruise around 46-47MPH on my GPS with a standard aluminum prop. Anyone is more than welcome to come for a ride with me this year :). As long as its in Barrie or Orillia LOL.

Edited by Henry Nguyen

Best time to buy a boat is right now. The majority of manufacturers have some sort of deals or incentives between January and the end of March, coincident with all the boat shows and sports shows across Canada. These can take the form of rebates, discounts, special packages, extended warranties - or all of the above.

You can get good deals in the fall too, though that's normally a dealer giving a discount on leftover inventory they need to pay for and don't want to carry through the winter.

Perfect world - find a dealer who still has a 2010 model in stock now, and really wants to get rid of it. Then take the extended warranty on you new (i.e. still unregistered) engine. Best of both worlds.

Don't leave it too late. Every year guys see the boat they want at some show, then go back to buy it in June and find it's gone and the dealer isn't ordering in any more till the following winter.

Henry, I'm sorry, but what you are offering is DANGEROUS.

A first time boat owner may not understand how UNDERPOWERED a 50hp motor on your listed boat would be.

If it's rated for a 150hp, and your "salesman" can conciously offer a 50hp motor on it - well, it says a lot about the company.

I'm quite confident any respectable dealer would never ever sell a boat with a motor that is only rated at 33% of the max hp.

Yes, your correct, a buyer can upgrade. BUT will your salesman explain that it is unsafe to purchase that boat with the "included" motor of 50hp?!

Purely dangerous.

In my mind equal to a car dealership selling a Yukon truck with breaks for a civic. You can tell them, "just don't break too hard" ... just as likely you'll tell me "it's better than staying on shore" ... but really, is it?

The LEAST you should ever rig a boat rated for a 150hp is a 90hp engine. So your "included" price should be with a 90hp, MINIMUM!