damned cormorants

Spouph

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

cormorants do eat fish but we are the only ones who put fish stocks at risk. they do make a convenient scapegoat for finger pointers though don't they?

Sometimes they are mistakenly shot by duck hunters....just saying... :whistling:

I only shoot if I can get more than one with one shot :) I know this guy who has a cormorant band....he found it dead on a beach :whistling: Poor little bird. We're not sure what happened to it. Must have choked on a baby walleye or something :dunno::tease:

I don't think there is a C.O out there who would lay a charge for shooting one. It would take some bleeding heart, P3TA freak to cause a ruckus in order for anyone to get charged.

In all honesty, there sure are a lot of them. This year while duck hunting we saw literally tens of thousands. I'd take the boat thru a flock of 1000 of them just to get them moving.(right in front of cliffs house too!!) Just think of all the fish 1000 of them will eat in a day, a week, a month ....a year. Its incredible. I've witnessed them eating walleye, perch and crappies in the kawartha lakes. Just think what 1000 of them will do!! 10 years ago, I didn't even know they existed. Just wait another 10 and see how many there are!!

I think they will eat themselves out of food, start to starve, and then we will have to re stock our lakes. By the time anything gets done about it, we will have no fish to catch, and an infestation of sick, dying birds to deal with. I wonder how much disease they carry with them? I have this funny feeling some of our invasive species, and fish virus's are carried around by them as well.

Just thin them out a bit now, and it will save us a lot of work down the road. I'm not saying kill them all, but keep them in check. Look at the numbers of canada geese we have....and there are plenty of opportunities to hunt them, as well as annual egg oiling....but the population still rises every year.

It will be the same as everything else with the MNR. Too little, too late. By the time anything gets done, there will be no fish left, and millions of cormorants to feed. Whats more important, the fishery in ontario, or some cormorants? The answer is a simple one in my eyes.

S.

We used to do alot of fishing around an island in Bay Of Quinte just north of the ferry. Eventually the cormorants discovered it and took up residence on the end of the island and within 2 years everything was white with their excrement and all the trees they used appeared dead.

A few years back there was a cull in the area and if I recall correctly they eliminated 6000 birds.

There were no longer ant birds on the island and the trees regained their foliage and to see them today you'd never know there was any sort of problem.

Just thought some may find that interesting.

Sinker is RIGHT.......by the time the USA and or Canadian governments do anything it will be too late....just look at the snow geese problem....our government is just STARTING to address the situation....but a lot of damage has already been done to breeding grounds of other waterfowl.

I have never seen our government "ACT" to something that needs to be done, but rather "REACT" to something that should of been done years ago.

Now where did I put that cormorant shotgun of mine..... :whistling:

Oh, here it is.....thfudd.gif

Edited by Billy Bob

I hate this topic and how naive people are. DDT Nearly killed half our waterbirds and damaged other species in the food chain and now that the

birds are coming back people want them gone. There is no reason to cull them nature will run its course sure it will take 5 or 10 years but if we don't then the populations will never become stable and we will always have this problem. If anything we should be culling people the human race is overpopulated!

I tend to not comment on things I dont know anything about, this approach would have served you better here my friend. The population is exponentionally higher than it has EVER been. As humans we have impacted eco systems and as a result sometimes we do need to assist mother nature in correcting issues we have caused, unfortunate but a fact of life.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I tend to not comment on things I dont know anything about, this approach would have served you better here my friend. The population is exponentionally higher than it has EVER been. As humans we have impacted eco systems and as a result sometimes we do need to assist mother nature in correcting issues we have caused, unfortunate but a fact of life.

his opinion is entirely informed actually. i hope you have a wildlife management background that's leading you to your expertise.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Sinker is RIGHT.......by the time the USA and or Canadian governments do anything it will be too late....just look at the snow geese problem....our government is just STARTING to address the situation....but a lot of damage has already been done to breeding grounds of other waterfowl.

I have never seen our government "ACT" to something that needs to be done, but rather "REACT" to something that should of been done years ago.

Now where did I put that cormorant shotgun of mine..... whistling.gif

Oh, here it is.....thfudd.gif

A big comacawzee protected bird turns around and say's , am gona get you you yittle billwee sue

A big comacawzee protected bird turns around and say's , am gona get you you yittle billwee sue

OH BOY.. :w00t: .....now that sounds like it could be FUN.. :P ..at last count my ammo supply is hovering around 5000 rounds.....so all I can say to these cormorants is "BRING IT ON"....thfudd.gif

BTW....I may need help......any volunteers.....Uncle Billy Bob wants YOU....JOIN the Anti-Cormorant National Guard....Protect and Serve your community lakes and rivers....The Few, The Proud, The ACNG... :canadian:Smiley-IPB-295.gif:canadian:

Pitchforks, torches, blind ignorance.

So what do we have here? People running around shooting birds that are protected because it is perceived by many to be a population explosion based on nothing more than casual observation?

If the pesticides from OUR population explosion killed a great many of these birds before any of our lifetimes and they are now making a comeback because of a positive change in OUR policies then we should probably not make judgements in their numbers based on a sample of 10-30 year fishing experience. There sure does seem to be alot more of them now than 15 years ago but then again I was not around in the year 1900 to see how many there use to be.

Is the complaint here that they eat too much fish mass? If the fish weren't there to eat they couldn't eat them. Is the complaint that they crap on trees? Yes, it is pretty unsightly. I guess my point is that unless you have scientific evidence you should put your gun down and stick to whatever you do for a living.

Like I said earlier...

The government is paying people to help control their numbers...

My cousin gets paid to go to islands where cormorants have nests and spray the nests killing the eggs...

I just don't think the government wants to announce they are poisoning thousands of eggs or else the tree huggers would start a protest...

Pitchforks, torches, blind ignorance.

So what do we have here? People running around shooting birds that are protected because it is perceived by many to be a population explosion based on nothing more than casual observation?

If the pesticides from OUR population explosion killed a great many of these birds before any of our lifetimes and they are now making a comeback because of a positive change in OUR policies then we should probably not make judgements in their numbers based on a sample of 10-30 year fishing experience. There sure does seem to be alot more of them now than 15 years ago but then again I was not around in the year 1900 to see how many there use to be.

Is the complaint here that they eat too much fish mass? If the fish weren't there to eat they couldn't eat them. Is the complaint that they crap on trees? Yes, it is pretty unsightly. I guess my point is that unless you have scientific evidence you should put your gun down and stick to whatever you do for a living.

Well said. Instead of blaming cormorants for just doing what comes naturally, let's try to find out WHY their numbers have rapidly increased in the past few decades. No species exists in isolation,something has changed in the environment that has allowed them to flourish. What if we found out that they are pigging out on, and thereby controlling, round goby populations. Would we be so eager to kill them then?

With all the technological advances in fishing gear sport fisherman have it better today than we have ever had it in history. We complain because cormorants eat fish? Here's a shock for you - FISH EAT FISH! Guess we should control all predatory fish species too, which is... um... oh, all of them. I don't think there are any vegetarian species in Ontario, but I am willing to be corrected on that.

If fish populations were rising as fast as the cormorant population, I'd have no problem. Whats gonna happen when we run out of fish?? We all suffer, not only cormorants.

I have no doubt they're eating gobies in some lakes, but around here, we don't have them, so I'd say they're feeding on sportfish primarily. They will probably drop a few gobie eggs in the kawartha's though....isn't that just gonna be great!!

I have no problem with cormorants as a species, its the massive boom in thier population i have a problem with. They need a bit of help in controlling it. As long as we have lots of fish, the population will continue to rise.....do the math.

Sure, give it 10 or 15 years and let them thin themselves out, but what about our fish stocks?? We gonna let them thin out as well?? I don't think its worth it for a few dirty birds. Their negatives, by far, out weigh the positives.

I like the idea with the natives. That is a great idea IMO.

S.

his opinion is entirely informed actually. i hope you have a wildlife management background that's leading you to your expertise.

No I don't have that as a background and didnt imply I have expertise in the issue either, I just dont agree with his view and unless he has been studying the issue 1st hand his statement is no more relevant than me disagreeing inspite of his background. I wonder if the various experts studying the issue would see it his way?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm not a cormorant expert, but have studied wildlife management and population dynamics etc. and what he says is closer to the facts than what most posters have to say on the subject. and those that do study the subject have yet to publish anything to suggest that cormorants have anywhere NEAR the impact on fish stocks that we do as the apex predator.

if only we spent the same energy worrying about habitat loss, overfishing (both recreational and commercial), global warming etc... these are the real threats to our fisheries.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

We have been controlling rats for YEARS.....WHY.... :whistling:

Cormorants IMHO are rats with wings.....unless some of the more wildlife educated studiers here can explain to me the benefits of having a GREAT POPULATION of these flying fishing eating rats.

Until then.....BANG....oh, I thought that was a quacker.... :)

Now what did I do with Ted's phone number....had it around here somewhere...oh, I know....it's in the gun safe where it belongs... :good:

The population is exponentionally higher than it has EVER been. As humans we have impacted eco systems and as a result sometimes we do need to assist mother nature in correcting issues we have caused, unfortunate but a fact of life.

The nail has been hit on the head.clapping.gifgood.gif

because they are NOT native to north america and they spread disease.

Half of our species are NOT native to North America, including you....so what are you saying....just because it's not native we should be controlling them/it and those who are native should not be controlled.....I doubt you're saying that....but it sounds that way....

Still asking what are the benefits of these fly fish eating rats... :dunno:

Scientific evidence should be making these decisions. Science doesn't have an opinion. All it has is evidence and truth. The only concern that science has is that it is producing factual knowledge and reasonable solutions.

These decisions should not be made by arrogant and ignorant individuals with no evidence or education to decipher evidence in the particular field of discussion. There should not be an armed uprising of the unqualified running around the countryside shooting everything they deem to be overpopulated or generally a detriment to their view of society.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Grimace