damned cormorants

Spouph

carrying capacity. it's worked flawlessly for hundreds of million of years. only man is arrogant enough to think he needs to control nature.

only man has evolved enough to control nature

only man know what arrogant means

so no stocking

no turkeys back in ontario

man has no choice but to control nature at this point

or start euthanizing Man to control it's numbers and locations..oh wait that act would also be controlling nature..

Edited by Terry

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i know what you're saying terry and you are 100% right. my choice of words is poor, and controlling nature has in fact been a large part of my career. lamprey control, lake trout stocking in lake superior/inland lakes, etc. were all things that i have done and was proud to be involved with. i also had the privelege of doing a brood stock collection on michipicoten island for that particular strain used here in ontario. management decisions are ever evolving, but are based on the best scientific evidence available. when the best scientific evidence determines that we should wack a bunch of birds, i will not oppose. like i said, if it's a legal hunt i'll join.

i'm following the culling efforts with great interest in lake michigan but i have faith in our canadian officials to determine what's best for ontario. they are good people, many anglers themselves, and they have a vested interest in ensuring that their decisions aren't made in haste.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

all i will suggest is that the people who are studying cormorants every day and who have dedicated their life to fisheries management know a lot more than all of us

I believe you've just called government employees smart. If that doesn't discredit anything else you've said I don't know what will.

Why stop at cormorants?

OspreyMusky.jpg

I saw more Osprey last year than the year before! This is irrefutible evidence that Ontario's fishery is going to come crashing down! They're eating MY fish!!! So what if they've been here all along. So what if their original decline was caused by people! Their nests? Don't get me started on those eye sores. Oh my God, I saw more herons last year than ever before as well!! Herons eat fish too! Oh my God! The world is ending!! We need to act right now!! THERE IS NO TIME FOR SCIENCE!!!

They're taking my fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY FISH!!!!!!!

Why stop at cormorants?

OspreyMusky.jpg

I saw more Osprey last year than the year before! This is irrefutible evidence that Ontario's fishery is going to come crashing down! They're eating MY fish!!! So what if they've been here all along. So what if their original decline was caused by people! Their nests? Don't get me started on those eye sores. Oh my God, I saw more herons last year than ever before as well!! Herons eat fish too! Oh my God! The world is ending!! We need to act right now!! THERE IS NO TIME FOR SCIENCE!!!

MY FISH!!!!!!!

I hope that osprey didn't use an ultra light to catch that musky...

Too bad they dont know about the 120 posession limit on minnows. I have seen them following schools of shiners on simcoe goin at it like an all you can eat buffet. There had to be about 200 of them and each one can eat how much ?. Maybe we should all get one as a pet and use it to get us some bait.

I'm not sure, its illegal to find out.

You can make anything edible in pepperettes or sausage. Add enough pork and it will taste fine.

You can hunt crows....are they edible? Not really......are they a nuisance....yuuuup!

I just want the protected status taken off. It makes no sense to protect a bird that is overpopulating the waters from here to the east coast. It will only get worse before it gets better. My old man tells me on the east coast they are everywhere. He said they try to steal the fish right off your line. Could you imagine??

s.

I don't know how edible they would be, its illegal to find out. I know you can make anything taste OK in sausages or pepperettes though. They can't be much worse than a merganser, or old squaw, and I eat them too.

Are crows edible? I'm not sure, I've never eaten one. Are they a nuisance? Yuuupp! Is hunting a means of controlling their population? Yuuuup...

Are coyotes edible?? I've never tried, and wouldn't ever, but I'll shoot every one that comes in range. They are also considered a nuisance, and hunting is used as a control on their populations.

There is quite a long list, but I'll leave it at that.

Why keep cormorants listed as a protected species? Its not like thier population is in and danger.

S.

Why stop at cormorants?

OspreyMusky.jpg

MY FISH!!!!!!!

Are Osprey overrunning the lakes by the thousands near you ? If so show some pictures...I'm sure we would all love to see them.

Meanwhile take a look at these pictures....see anything pretty about them. Now wouldn't you like to have them all over your dock and shoreline... :rolleyes:

Cormorants.jpg

Cormorants.jpg

90207ycormorants3.jpg

233.jpg

I'll wade into this conversation and throw in my uneducated opinion.

They should not be protected, their numbers justify a controlled hunt IMO.

They are native and should be allowed to exist and will find a balance in their numbers eventually.

(remember the passenger pigeon anyone?)

As far as their range goes, the weather patterns have changed on the past several decades which have allowed all species to increase their range further north than in the recent hisyorical past. There is proof of this everywhere. This is not my opinion-it is fact.

It is good to hear that the MNR is doing some culling but IMO some areas need to be more aggressive in this area. It is true that the tree huggers will protest if outright culling occurs publicly. The best bet is to open them to a hunting season.

All my 2 cents

the new group that is doing the Species at Risk in Ontario List, a seems to have no scientific input or they don't listen to it

you take the sturgeon..there was a good c&r program working in ontario and the data collected showed that C&R was not hurting the stocks

but the new group put a stop to almost all fishing for them.....

can't have turkey on Manitoulin island because of a grasshopper or something like that..the people in charge have no idea what they are doing, most likely a few of them belong to P3ta