damned cormorants

Spouph

I was talking to a fellow the other day about the cormerants cleaning the perch out of his lake. It seem to me that 5 years ago I donated a little money to the federation of anglers and hunters on a phone call by them for eliminating nor reducing the cormerants. Subsequently I recieved a call for the next 3 years asking for the same thing. I did not give anymore and I think I asked them to stop calling. Now my question to you all is, has anything been done to cull cormerants. I have not heard or been paying attention, I understand that it takes a lot of money to lobby the goverment, I am just as much at fault I could of given more. But has anything been done by anyone. I was boating across lake Erie and there was a flock of cormorant that had to be in the thousands strong, when I went through the center of them, some were so full, they could not fly. From what sounds like the northern ont lake are getting hit hard as well. I have a thought, tell me if you think this is ignorant or not. But I think we should raise a ton of money and have the Native canadians, go on a free for all. They have no restrictions on what they hunt. It would eliminate all the red tape assioated with the cull, and the job would get done. Id rather give a million dollars to a native tribe, than to a politician, atleast something would get accomplished.

let me know what you think.

Huge issue. Wish they were gone. Complicated. On Pigeon lake in the Kawarthas we have a few. Lots more loons. I'm sure they eat a lot of perch and other panfish too, but I have to admit I love the loons being there. They are native. The cormorants aren't. Opening a hunting season would certainly help. Politically tricky.

Is it that time of the year again? whistling.gif

Oh...the Double crested Cormorant is a species Native to Canada.They were all but desrtoyed by polution and toxic chemicals.Now on the rebound they will probably succomb to a natural enemy, disease, within the next decade due to over population.

Huge issue. Wish they were gone. Complicated. On Pigeon lake in the Kawarthas we have a few. Lots more loons. I'm sure they eat a lot of perch and other panfish too, but I have to admit I love the loons being there. They are native. The cormorants aren't. Opening a hunting season would certainly help. Politically tricky.

I love it! Informed opinion!

I hate this topic and how naive people are. DDT Nearly killed half our waterbirds and damaged other species in the food chain and now that the birds are coming back people want them gone. There is no reason to cull them nature will run its course sure it will take 5 or 10 years but if we don't then the populations will never become stable and we will always have this problem. If anything we should be culling people the human race is overpopulated!

I wouldn't consider Lake of the Woods to be in southern Ontario. As per the artical the population probably expanded eastward into the Great Lakes region; they may very well have native to LOTW.

Northwestern Ontario, so your correct! lol.

I read a few other articles where they say they are native to LOTW, and populations are around the 15,000 mark??? No idea where that number comes from? On LOTW and Rainy Lake i've seen 100,000 plus in a freakin hour

I'll tell ya what...if/when they open a season on them, i will be the first guy in line to buy the license. Now, when you see a guy set up on your favourite island, whacking every cormorant that comes in range, don't cry the blues about the poor little birdies.....

S.

talked to the MNR this summer about the number of them i see flying up the petawawa river,and every morning hundreds fry upriver and late in the day they fly back !!!! guess where they are going ??? right into algonquin park and pigging out on specks,and having their way on all those nice little trout lakes !!!! they are showing up where they never were before...23yrs of fishing the ottawa river up there and never seen any till about 10yrs ago and it was only a few,now they have taken over a few islands in the river,and they are totally dead of any trees,or life period !!!! and the stench is just the most vile thing you have ever smelled !!! the mnr says their habds are tied i went right into the head office in pembroke to complain and get answers from the bioligist !!! its a joke....the cormorants should all be shot....right now believe it or not THEY ARE A PROTECTED BIRD !!!!!!! :wallbash::asshat::devil:

Up until a few years ago we only ever saw the odd one here on Sturgeon Lake, this year we saw hundreds. They have already pretty much destroyed one small island, the trees are all white and stripped of folage.

I was at a meeting last fall with Kawartha Conservation and MNR and asked what was being done about it, the reply was the standard "we're looking into it".

When I asked if they were considered an invasive species I was told they were. When I asked about round gobies (also an invasive species) and what I should do if I caught one I was told I should kill it. I then asked if I should kill cormorants too and I was told they were protected and if I was caught killing them I would be charged. Where is the logic in all of this? I asked that question too but they couldn't answer that.

I'll tell ya what...if/when they open a season on them, i will be the first guy in line to buy the license. Now, when you see a guy set up on your favourite island, whacking every cormorant that comes in range, don't cry the blues about the poor little birdies.....

S.

Sometimes they are mistakenly shot by duck hunters....just saying... :whistling: