Cod liver oil on lures?

jat

Are you looking for the scent or just something as a rust/corrosion deterrent?

I've heard that WD-40 has some fish oil extracts that apparently some spray-on scents also use. Not sure you would want to put much into the water though... I've wiped down jigging spoons with WD-40 before because otherwise they rust and corrode very quickly, but I'm pretty much a non-believer when it comes to all the scent stuff...

Has anyone ever tried this stuff to enhance their lures for ice season?

Everyone has tried most things on baits. Ask the people who catch fish what they actually put on their baits. Nothing. You can make an argument for fish such as catfish who'll often catch their fish based on the most putrid , smelly bait they can find. That's how they eat...some don't even bother to use a hook....the fish will hang on because of that wonderful, oh so disgusting smell.

No, I don't use attractants. Ever. :)

Everyone has tried most things on baits. Ask the people who catch fish what they actually put on their baits. Nothing. You can make an argument for fish such as catfish who'll often catch their fish based on the most putrid , smelly bait they can find. That's how they eat...some don't even bother to use a hook....the fish will hang on because of that wonderful, oh so disgusting smell.

I can't believe you never put on cologne in the past to attract the atteniton of......

It works better than the commercial stuff and its alot cheaper. A large bottle from Rexall is around $10 and it lasts forever.

I find the oil sticks better on baits and lures. I even put a drop on my sometimes not so fresh roe bags and it work wonders. The only things I would not put it on are hair or marabou jigs. It gums up the fibres and kills the action. Definitely give it a try.

I agree somewhat Roy. But I use scent and alot of it on slow moving baits such as Tubes, Drop Shots, Grubs, etc. Another time I use scent on baits (oil based) is when I flipping heavy pads or slop (in summer). It helps your baits slip into pockets and little holes.

My favourites are Bang Garlic and Powerbait.

I've seen the advantages of using scent too many times not to use it with certain baits. Just my two cents.

Edited by Harrison

John Power who wrote a fishing column many years ago used Anice Oil. I tried it a few time under the ice I don't know if it was the oil but I caught fish. One little problem, everything smelled of it, powerful stuff!

Pretty sure anise oil smells like black Licorice right Ketchenany? So does the Bang scent I use, walleye and bass like it.

Pretty sure anise oil smells like black Licorice right Ketchenany? So does the Bang scent I use, walleye and bass like it.

There you go. Keep a pack of black licorice sticks in your pocket..chew on one from time to time and every 10 casts or so, spit on your bait. I must write this one down...

I know its been done before and people still do it but guys, c'mon, please don't promote putting WD40(petroleum product) on your lures or in the water. If ya want scents use the biodegradable ones that are sold for that purpose. Cod liver oil has worked wonders this summer, we have been putting the pills in our hollow body frogs, never thought of dipping spoons in the oil though, going to give that a try:clapping:

RED

See now you need to take lessons from your favorite local Redneck when it comes to catching fish when they don't want to bite....don't waste your money on those fake fish attractants...your going to need that money for very expensive gasoline this summer (heard it going to spike this summer).

Over the years I have discovered a couple tricks to get them there finicky fish to turn on.

1) always have some cheese and pepperoni with you....put some on your hook and get them fish in a picnic mood....tell me, who can turn down cheese and pepperoni while on a picnic...I know I can't...

2) if you can see all them lazy fish just below you on your depth finder but they just wouldn't bite here is what you got to do...pull anchor and fire up the big engine...put her in gear and go around in circles as fast as you can....this will usually stir them up and get them biting...

3) and if all else fails try this but first check you regs in Ontario as it may not be legal....open up a can of green peas and pour them onto the surface of the water....when a fish comes up to take a pea, net the son of a gun..... :rofl2: repeat as necessary until you filled you bag limit... :)

Well that's all I have for now boys.... :P

I'm a firm believer in scents for icefishing. It compliments the way I fish, aggressively ripping lipless cranks and darter style baits, any live bait quickly falls off. I also find that the gulp spray is useful for only a brief period. I am sold on Pro Cure gels and bait butter. Sticks to the bait and provides scent a long time. Actually have to wipe your bait off when storing it. The slower diffusion of an oil based product isnt a concern as I'm using sound, flash and vibration to attract fish from far away. Its when fish are inspecting the bait that I want the extra attraction.

I seem to catch more fish using scent, so it gives me confidence. Which is half the battle in fishing, the more confident you are that any moment you will catch a fish, the more effectively you will fish, and usually pay closer attention to detail.

Trolling for fall muskies we ran a little experiment on a day when both pike and muskie were hitting well. 3 identical lures, 2 unscented. Rotated the location of the lures in the boat. Eliminating the fact that some lures just run better, we caught 7-1 on the scented bait....confidence booster on those long fall days.

I know its been done before and people still do it but guys, c'mon, please don't promote putting WD40(petroleum product) on your lures or in the water. If ya want scents use the biodegradable ones that are sold for that purpose. Cod liver oil has worked wonders this summer, we have been putting the pills in our hollow body frogs, never thought of dipping spoons in the oil though, going to give that a try:clapping:

RED

Actually, not many people know this, but WD-40 is mainly fish oil based.. There is little, if any petroleum in it..

Gypsy, WD40 people didn't know about it either. This is from their site:

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

Gypsy, WD40 people didn't know about it either. This is from their site:

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

Yes I stand corrected, I was trying to edit my post but my computer went nuts, so you beat me to it.. I also read that it DOES contain petroleum ..

I guess I shouldn't have believed that E-mail I got a few months ago about WD-40..

I asked the same question here a few years back and got some very good replies.

I've used it to coat my lures (Williams jigging spoons). But if you don't remove it after, it turns yellow/brown. The lures don't sparkle like they should. You have to clean the oil off after you use it.

As for attracting fish. The oil doesn't mix with the waters, or leave a scent trail.