Scratching the ice for sleds

Sharkbait22

How do people manage sledding on crusty snow and ice without burning off the slides? Last year on Simcoe, there were a few times we had rain and then freeze-up. I installed scratchers this year and new graphite-loaded slides. These scratchers fit on the skid. It's a 1997 380 Skandic. I've read about people using bolts through the skis. I think Terry might have tried this. Any pointers appreciated.

PS someone wake Mother Nature up already. Make some ice! :o

Terry has scratchers.. I have bolts thru my skis for the days they're needed. Both seem to do the trick. Mine's air cooled so I'm only worried about the track/sliders. Terry's is liquid cooled and I think he also added something to mist the cooler...or that may have been Fishhunter/Lloyd.

I have bolts through the ends of the skis, they work not too bad

but scratchers work best

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid25.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc52%2FMrbeee1954%2FVideos%2FDIGI0007.mp4">

I have a pair of Tric Ice Scratchers and they are light years ahead of any of the hard spring steel scratchers out there. They ain't cheap but the first time you accidentally back up with the regular scratchers deployed and trash them you will wish you payed the few extra $$$ for them. :lol:

I have had the spring steel scratchers and they do work quite well but they become pretzels if you back up with them deployed and need to be replaced while these are made of heavy stainless cable with a replaceable stud as the point that does the scratching.

SMA-ICESC-00-ST.jpg

Do they really get enough force going to make a good spray Dave?? I have lots of stuff around here to make something similar.... :whistling:

Yeah they work very well.

I'll try and get some video on the weekend if I remember. I'm old and don't remember things too good any more. ;)

They are carving up the deck on my sled trailer pretty good if that gives you any idea. :lol:

Okay.. I have lots of cable "cut offs" with no other use for them.. swagging tools and some cable ends around here that I can fabricate a point or installed a sharpened bolt into.... so I think I can make something similar with no real expense but my time.

There you go.

Once you get em figured out ya can send me a couple of sets for Arctic testing. :whistling:

As I said the set I have are drilled and tapped for a carbide track stud.

They hold up well and are cheap and easy to replace. ;)

I'm a snowmobile rube if you guys haven't figured that out yet, lol!!!

My parents neighbour said the spiked track on mine chews up enough ice as is, no need for these things.

Would disagree with the neighbour. Seen a few sleds over the years over heat from the lack of snow, even with a studded track. Might be enough to lube the sliders but I wouldn't bet on that.

Spray some pam on your sliders!

Not going to keep the sled cool but will might make the cooling fins non-stick so you could do a couple of eggs. :D

For the sliders, I've heard of dish soap as well. I had a buddy that drilled holes in the slides and injected them with a high heat grease. Seemed to help.

Would disagree with the neighbour. Seen a few sleds over the years over heat from the lack of snow, even with a studded track. Might be enough to lube the sliders but I wouldn't bet on that.

Luckily for me I'm rarely if ever out on glare ice with no snow :)

Terry has scratchers.. I have bolts thru my skis for the days they're needed. Both seem to do the trick. Mine's air cooled so I'm only worried about the track/sliders. Terry's is liquid cooled and I think he also added something to mist the cooler...or that may have been Fishhunter/Lloyd.

Irishfield, Thanks for your reply. How do the bolts fit on the skis? I have steel skis with plastic skins. I have a 3" 3/8 (grade 5) bolt. I'm most concerned about it damaging the ski (egging-out the hole). I'll likely see how these store bought scratchers work first but the bolts would be cheap additonal protection.

Luckily for me I'm rarely if ever out on glare ice with no snow :)

I have studds (109 of them) and my slides melted a bit last year. I tried to hit the snow vs ice patches as much as possible. Even had my feet down at times to dig in the snow, but they still melted a bit. Legs were a tad sore after 14km. BTW- my scratchers were bought for $60. They tuck up out of the way when not needed.

I have bolts through the ends of the skis, they work not too bad

but scratchers work best

Thanks Terry. I read a lot of posts on the net. Most were from guys riding trail: not slick frzen lakes. Hard ice is a different animal than crusted snow. I'd like to see the cable type work on several km of glare ice - then I might buy a set.