Last Kawartha report (for me)

Rizzo

Got out Friday for one last attempt at sliming the boat. Greeted at the launch by a few inches of snow and 38 degree water temps. Thought we'd try jigging steep breaks. Zilch. We did notice though as we got further out from the break there were fish suspended 20 feet down over deeper water. Perfect. Time to sit on my butt and troll for suspended fish...beats banging bottom or casting in -4 weather! Got a real beauty which released itself at boatside, go figure, would have been my best fish of the season. Luckily we did get to see it. A couple of cold hours later we got this fish, the last one of the season for me as I winterized the boat yesterday.

more muskies 009.jpg

Help me out. My partner "couldn't find the tape measure" (he wasn't actually looking now that I think about it) so we quickly let the fish go. Naturally he finds it as soon as the fishes tail kicks out of sight! Likely next time he can't find the camera. I am now accepting resumes for position of "new fishing partner for next year" :rolleyes: I like to keep a musky log and have guessed a length of this fish, but if anyone wants to make a guess please feel free. If you guys are more generous than me maybe I'll revise my log!

Dang, none of them are easy guesses, Roger. We (I) could be way off. It's not terribly fat for this time of the year either but I'll go between 45" and 47".

A great ending to your season. Congrats.

Judging by the angle of your right arm, the 38 degree tilt of your head and the expression on the fishes face I would go with 46 inches. Remember that my guess is accurate to within 4.5 inches 17 times out of 20.

In all seriousness that is a nice fish to end your season on.

Got out Friday for one last attempt at sliming the boat. Greeted at the launch by a few inches of snow and 38 degree water temps. Thought we'd try jigging steep breaks. Zilch. We did notice though as we got further out from the break there were fish suspended 20 feet down over deeper water. Perfect. Time to sit on my butt and troll for suspended fish...beats banging bottom or casting in -4 weather! Got a real beauty which released itself at boatside, go figure, would have been my best fish of the season. Luckily we did get to see it. A couple of cold hours later we got this fish, the last one of the season for me as I winterized the boat yesterday.

more muskies 009.jpg

Help me out. My partner "couldn't find the tape measure" (he wasn't actually looking now that I think about it) so we quickly let the fish go. Naturally he finds it as soon as the fishes tail kicks out of sight! Likely next time he can't find the camera. I am now accepting resumes for position of "new fishing partner for next year" :rolleyes: I like to keep a musky log and have guessed a length of this fish, but if anyone wants to make a guess please feel free. If you guys are more generous than me maybe I'll revise my log!

That fish makes your Johnson look small. Nice catch!

thanks guys. We had earlier lost a real good one so this fish "looked small" in relative terms. While I was unhooking it in the water, my buddy tells me the tape measure isn't in the box. At that time I'm thinking it was a low 40's so didn't think much of it. Quickly lift it out of the water, snap a photo and then back into the drink. He opens first compartment and finds the tape as the fish takes off like a shot. It wasn't until I put the picture on the computer that I realized this one was actually decent as well. It's the memory of the one that got away though that'll keep me excited until next June. My previous outing I had been skunked, so at least I can erase the bad taste of that day and think happy thoughts all winter.

You da man! My hero, someone that can actually catch a muskie in the Kawarthas ( I know lots of you other guys can catch them too). I would put it at 48" to 50".

As far as a resume: I live on Pigeon Lake, have a box full of lures, am not afraid to do a figure 8, will do the muskie dance if I have to, provide sandwiches and drinks, oh I have a map too!

PM the date I start! :D