Hit and run, what to do

GoneFishin

Well I am involved in a sort of hit and run. My truck was parked on the road and someone (clearly the person living in front of where I park) backed into the driver side door. No one left a number or anything and there was only one car parked in their drive way for the last 2 nights with no visible damage. Today I came out to my truck and find a small peice of paper with a number saying call me. Now there car is parked in there drive way once again and I feel as if they were trying to cover it up but realized they couldn't. Now I can under stand an accident is an accident and I feel bad because my truck was parked at the end of there drive way. On the other hand they presumably tried to leave and stick me with the bill at my loss, and could be charged, although I have not made a report.

I'm going to give them a call soon but I'm not sure what to do. My truck isn't worth me putting a new door on really and is just getting me through the winter, I guess what I'm saying is would it be illegal to work out a deal with them, or should I just have an estimate done and make a report to save my self from any further complications?.

By law all accidents resulting in more than $1000 in damage need to be reported.

That said a lot of people work out a deal. If you intend to buy a new vehicle and not fix the door you can always get a few quotes on what the repair is and do a cash deal with the person that hit you.

I would bet that when they see how much the repair is that they will end up putting it through insurance though. In that case a police report will need to be made.

If you cash out and don't get the repair done you will have extra $$$$ to put toward your new vehicle in the spring.

Call the # and talk to the person and I'm sure all will work out.

Maybe they were running late for a trip or flight and that's why they didn't leave a note to begin with. :dunno::dunno:

If you have no intention of repairing it, accept the neighbours apology and move on, let it go.

If you want the damage repaired, report it and go through the appropriate channels.

There is no 'grey area' here, as I have learned with a similar experience. Once you start talking cash or working out a deal, you're setting yourself up for more headaches.

Tony

Accepting a Deal will come back to haunt you. If you are going to get it repaired then report it and get the estimate etc. If you decide to make a deal then you are getting money under false pretenses which is also a crime.

Art

if its a beater truck just settle over a couple hundred and buy fishing gear :Gonefishing:

Call me simple here,but if you say it,s not worth getting fixed,well just a sorry and can we do anything for ya from the hittie would surfice for me. Ya they are wrong,but filtered try again please happens.

I had a guy rear end me on a icey road.Nothing major,a ding in the bumper.(ford build tough)Was nothing he could do. I said you ok,he said ya,I said,cool,no harm here. Why bother going through the Bull that will cost you many more dollars then need be.

TALK TO THEM AND SEE WHATS WHAT I SAY.

Sorry, I sould of added that I was on my way to pay for the hall for Bettys and I marrige renewal of our voes. My head was very CLOUDY. :lol:

Edited by Misfish

simply because you report it to the police - which you should to protect yourself - does not mean you have to file an an insurance claim. the problem with agreements is either one party reneges or there is a misunderstanding after the fact. Without the police report, you have no back up. Or the end result is different than what one of the parties intended. If the truck is due to retire soon, and the only damage is a door - can you get one from a wrecker? If so - what's the cost. If not, what do you feel the damage is worth?

Strictly speaking you could have the guy charged with leaving the scene - but he lives across the street from you? And he thought about it and decided to face the music and let you know?

An accident is an accident, we've all had them! You have already said you just want the truck to get you through the winter, will the dent in the door prevent you from doing that?

So here is how I would look at it if I were in your shoes:

A dent in the door is no big deal on an old beater, your neighbour had an accident which for all intent isn't really going to cost you anything!

Now you can make a few bucks off this or you can make a darn good neighbour by playing it straight. They will always owe you one if you let it go but the minute you accept a dime from them you are square.

Personally under the circumstances I'd be letting them apologize and telling them to not worry about it. You will come out much further ahead in the long run! Karma my friend, karma!

Good neighbors and peace of mind are things that money cant buy... and remember that there but for the grace of god go you ... and I am sure you already know the right thing to do.

But for the record, I happen to agree with Cliff. And for a lot of reasons - almost none of it has anything to do with the value/cost of the ding to your door.

Just want to clarify...

-You live on this street yourself (not visiting gf or anything right ) and they're your neighbours ?

-You parked in front of or at the end of their driveway, blocking it ?

If yes to both, maybe let it slide and hopefully this is where it will end. If you did indeed block their drive and do it again in the future, I would think your next ride will receive the same treatment eventually tbh. ymmv

There'a also no fault so they shouldn't be penalized if you go through the collision reporting centre. My wife scraped a neighbour's car (they parked too tight to our drive) and basically was no harm, no foul after it was reported. We're very good neighbours fwiw.

You seem to got your answer

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCYQL8ouqw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCYQL8ouqw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCYQL8ouqw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

:canadian::canadian::canadian:

Edited by Misfish

I was in the same boat as you this tuesday...only it was a neighbors visitor. I was not home when it happened...The guy was backing up and he smacked in to my driver side(front) door and knocking out my side mirror, damage was much worse that yours. He was goona run and let me foot the bill good thing I had a good neighbor and stepped in front of his car as he was trying to hightail his way out of there and almost got hit...the guy had no choice then but to give his info.So in my case I called the insurance,filed police report and got my car into the shop. I have no car for a week but I was provided with a rental.

My point is it's good to have a nice neighbor. You can gain one by letting it slide since your planning to get a new one and your card is old, They had a change of heart so i think they deserve a second chance. So I would give them a call, that would be what I would do.

Ahh let it slide.....

Good neighbors are hard to come buy. You like them right and the truck is an older model which you just want to keep around for a year ??? Go talk to your neighbor over a couple cold ones. He may surprise you....

Honestly though, the only reason I'm asking this is because I'm sure if his bill didn't cost him much he wouldn't have said a thing. His car was not present for 2 nights, and now it is there with the back bumper scratched to hell (probably not worth him fixing though) If it had of been fixed I would have had no way of proving who ran into me. If he put the note on my window when I got into it or at least that night, then I probably would have apologized for the inconvenience of having my truck across from his drive way. Now I don't even feel like an apology from him is good enough any more as I have been quite angry over it being a hit and run in my neighborhood.

I think I'm going to give the wreckers a call tomorrow and see how much it is to replace the door. After that I will call them and play it by ear.

Just want to clarify...

-You live on this street yourself (not visiting gf or anything right ) and they're your neighbours ?

-You parked in front of or at the end of their driveway, blocking it ?

If yes to both, maybe let it slide and hopefully this is where it will end. If you did indeed block their drive and do it again in the future, I would think your next ride will receive the same treatment eventually tbh. ymmv

There'a also no fault so they shouldn't be penalized if you go through the collision reporting centre. My wife scraped a neighbour's car (they parked too tight to our drive) and basically was no harm, no foul after it was reported. We're very good neighbours fwiw.

Yah to clear it up. I live across the street and my truck is parked directly across from their drive way on the other side of the street. Which it has been for the last 2 months or so..

An accident is an accident, we've all had them! You have already said you just want the truck to get you through the winter, will the dent in the door prevent you from doing that?

So here is how I would look at it if I were in your shoes:

A dent in the door is no big deal on an old beater, your neighbour had an accident which for all intent isn't really going to cost you anything!

Now you can make a few bucks off this or you can make a darn good neighbour by playing it straight. They will always owe you one if you let it go but the minute you accept a dime from them you are square.

Personally under the circumstances I'd be letting them apologize and telling them to not worry about it. You will come out much further ahead in the long run! Karma my friend, karma!

Cliff, I would agree 100% if they didn't try to get away with it from the beginning...but now compensation should be considered because this person will do it again if he/she know they can get away with it.

Basic rule #1 is always get a police report....otherwise things get turned around against you....a police report is a official record that everyone has to accept, including insurance companies.

Accepting a Deal will come back to haunt you. If you are going to get it repaired then report it and get the estimate etc. If you decide to make a deal then you are getting money under false pretenses which is also a crime.

Art

Have we really come to this? We can't make a deal, man to man, to get a door fixed? On a beater no less? Why do police and insurance need to get involved?

Talk to the man and see if he'll pay to fix it to your satisfaction. If not, then make the call.

Good neighbors and peace of mind are things that money cant buy... and remember that there but for the grace of god go you ... and I am sure you already know the right thing to do.

But for the record, I happen to agree with Cliff. And for a lot of reasons - almost none of it has anything to do with the value/cost of the ding to your door.

Good neighbours don't HIT & RUN....could be that adult beverages were involve from the beginning... :(

Gonefishin,

Thanks for the info, helps me visualize things. Yano, I understand about being on good terms with your neighbours and I make efforts to be one myself, but the fact that they waited several days to drop the note kinda bugs me. Not sure what I would do either.

I'm all for letting it slide, all things being equal, but you've already got at least one member, who should know, suggesting you report it. Possibly this could be a situation of CYA in case there are other issues besides a dented door. It covers their ass as well imo. ymmv

WOW,is all I can say. You have both thoughts from south of the boarder and north. This makes me say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Watching those south of the boarder info commercials,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Im not brained washed.

Hey call if you have had this or that and had this cause of this,did you get this from this,or did you read the after effects if you did take this or that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Good god,you should of called the GENERAL. LMAO.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

UFR

Have we really come to this?

Guess it has. :wallbash:

Have we really come to this? We can't make a deal, man to man, to get a door fixed? On a beater no less? Why do police and insurance need to get involved?

Talk to the man and see if he'll pay to fix it to your satisfaction. If not, then make the call.

If you don't have the accident documented then in the eyes of the law it did not happen. It is the only way to cover your butt in this instance. If you want to get the truck fixed then it is the only way that assures you will be compensated for the accident. So let's say you decide to go over and tell him it is $400.00 to fix the truck and he pays you the money.

Case one you might find that the damage is more, and it has cracked the frame which qualifies the vehicle to be totaled. To bad for you because you by accepting his money have entered into a contract that states by your acceptance that his liability is $400.00 in total. Legally you have no further right to bring judgement on him.

Case two you take the money and put it in your pocket because it is a not worth fixing. You continue to live across the street from this neighbor who everyday sees that you are not going to fix the truck... that will not make him a pleasant neighbor I am sure. Further let's say he is down right miffed and decides to file a suit against you for you guessed it fraud for taking money under false pretenses. Their is no difference from defrauding an insurance company with this action as doing it to a citizen, both can win in court. This is something that the average person does not consider but is something that employers have to get advise on to keep their company safe. Does this fit every application? No not really and in this case it could be a moot issue but if it isn't I would feel bad if I didn't give someone the advise that had the least possibility of repercussions.

Art