Hit and run, what to do

GoneFishin

lol, we've got those 30 second spots up here too although not as sleezy. yet ;)

O.K. here you go lawyer Mike Slocumb

Now name the famous Canadian in the right hand corner. :thumbsup_anim:

Don't get me wrong I hate Lawyers in my world.

Except Marty he is my hero

Edited by aplumma
back pedaling

I think some people are on drugs

you go to the local body shop and get a written estimate, if you don't want to get it fixed you go to them and say you can pay to get it fixed

or I will take 80% 60% or whatever you want of the estimated cost in cash and not fix it, but with that amount you will feel compensated for the damage..

they get a deal, but not off the hook and you get some spending money knowing you wouldn't get it fixed anyways

they think you are OK for not charging them an arm or a leg........

and all is right with the world.......and the vehicle will last longer then most of my posts

i just seen an abbreviation for the first time ( UFR ) and knew what it ment.... :thumbsup_anim: guess im gettin smert in me ole age

solution to your problem >>>knock on their door.....hit and run....<<<<<

couple days later ....leave an appoligy note on their doorstep :sarcasm:

I so love William Shatner (no sarcasm) he is a survivor going from some of the highest points in the entertainment business to the lowest and then he recreates himself and rises from the ashes over and over again. :clapping:

Sorry for the highjack if you want it cleaned up send a P.M. :oops:

Art

If you don't have the accident documented then in the eyes of the law it did not happen. It is the only way to cover your butt in this instance. If you want to get the truck fixed then it is the only way that assures you will be compensated for the accident. So let's say you decide to go over and tell him it is $400.00 to fix the truck and he pays you the money.

Case one you might find that the damage is more, and it has cracked the frame which qualifies the vehicle to be totaled. To bad for you because you by accepting his money have entered into a contract that states by your acceptance that his liability is $400.00 in total. Legally you have no further right to bring judgement on him.

Case two you take the money and put it in your pocket because it is a not worth fixing. You continue to live across the street from this neighbor who everyday sees that you are not going to fix the truck... that will not make him a pleasant neighbor I am sure. Further let's say he is down right miffed and decides to file a suit against you for you guessed it fraud for taking money under false pretenses. Their is no difference from defrauding an insurance company with this action as doing it to a citizen, both can win in court. This is something that the average person does not consider but is something that employers have to get advise on to keep their company safe. Does this fit every application? No not really and in this case it could be a moot issue but if it isn't I would feel bad if I didn't give someone the advise that had the least possibility of repercussions.

Art

Additional damages would be a concern for a newer vehicle. But if the truck is only to get the OP through winter as he said, and he hasn't noticed any damage yet, then I don't think it be a major concern.

As for fraud, I think the neighbor would have to have a written contract specifically stating that the money would be used to repair the vehicle in order for that to standup in court. If the agreement is verbal, the neighbor has nothing to go on. If a written agreement does not specifically state that the money would be used to repair the vehicle, then I don't think he would have much luck either. The OP can simply state that he deserves compensation for reduced trade value, having to look at the dent every day, etc.

Many problems are solved without ,just saying.

The real world, has made us this way. :wallbash:

true, but to cya and make sure you're vehicle is fixed thats what you do. fail to remain accidents are an epidemic, people try to get away with hitting other vehicles all the time this was not an accident, an accident means no one was at fault. clearly his neighbour backed into him which is not only fail to remain but the registered owner is also on the hook for failing to report an accident.

i would hate for the op'r to get screwed over because it does happen even by the nicest neughbours. regardless of whether or not it was a beater truck, its still his property that got damaged.

The real world's not so tough.

I back out of driveway, clipped the nieghbours car. Go over and let him know. No big deal. So I thought.

He gets quotes of $2000 plus for repair. I say sorry, but I'm not paying that, take it to your insurance company.

We exchanged info (at this point I said I would pay his deductible). Guess what, he got car fixed and he didn't have to pay any deductible. Good for me.

I also reported it to my insurance company. No increase in premiums or anything.

We were both happy with the way it worked out.

this was not an accident, an accident means no one was at fault.

Officer, you of all people I would of thought would know the meaning of a accident....fault has nothing to do with the word accident...it's a unplanned event...but according to the insurance industry there are no accidents as they all could of been avoided in one way or another...now that's not saying I agree with that definition...but that's the way it is now a days....SOMEONE is ALWAYS at fault and must pay these days. The lawyers "insure" us of this....LOL

But getting back to what the OP should do.....if the person that backed into his truck did the right thing in the beginning....well then, the OP wouldn't have to do the right thing now....I really believe if you let this person off, no lesson will be learned and someday down the line he/she will do it again. But this time it might not be, just property damage.

The City of Buffalo has a (bad) Mayor, but he had a good idea...spend federal money to put up security camera's to cut down on crime....while he was trying to convince the common council to spend the money on camera's, his teenage son stole his car and hit several cars along Main Street one night...No one knew who did it at first as the kid LIED all the way to the bank....But low and behold Canisius College had security cameras that not only recorded the Mayor's vehicle hitting all the parked vehicles in the middle of the night, but also his stupid son who got out of dad's SUV and ran home. Many of the damage car owners were only students from the college and didn't have collision coverage or the money to replace or repair their cars. And guess what....the Mayor tried to squash the college's security tapes with his political power....if that would of happened the kid would never have learned a valuable lesson and his next act might have killed someone as this kid got away with other things in the past.

Bob

One thing which everyone seems to be missing is without talking to the neighbor we may not even have the whole story.

Was he trying to get away with it originally or did he leave a note in the first place which went missing for some reason? (wind blew off?)

After no response he than put on a second note?

Too many questions left in the first post.

One thing which everyone seems to be missing is without talking to the neighbor we may not even have the whole story.

Was he trying to get away with it originally or did he leave a note in the first place which went missing for some reason? (wind blew off?)

After no response he than put on a second note?

Too many questions left in the first post.

Did you even believe this as you pecked away ? ? ?

WHY leave a note when you hit your neighbour's car....why not just go over to his house and knock on the door and fess up to your mistake... :whistling: ....this person tried to get away with this until probably someone talked some sense into him/her.