Ferocity

solopaddler

The last week has been pretty special. I've been rolling up the km's on the odometer travelling both north and south in search of steelhead.

I've been having a blast with fish just hammering hardware with a ferocity I've never before experienced.

I had two fish recently destroy my Spro snap swivels on the strike, opening them up and making off with my lure.

On another occasion I had 3 fish in the 10lb class rush in right to my feet before one sped up and smashed my lure almost stopping my heart in the process.

Fish have been caught floatfishing and bottom bouncing as well. If you're not being versatile you're missing out on fish.

Speaking of floatfishing some guys on another board I frequent were recently touting the virtues of Berkley Nanofil as mainline so I gave it a shot.

Let me tell you this stuff is incredible! It's a super line, so zero stretch but is not a braid. It's perfectly round and has this slippery almost slick finish. Casts like a dream.

Best thing from a floatfishing perspective it floats! On a windy day on a long drift I had my entire mainline blow off the water.

Obviously hooksets and mending are greatly enhanced as well.

Check it out, I think you'll be impressed!

Anyhow, here's just a few more from my recent outings. I'm still waiting for a buddy to send me pic's of a thick 38" beast that's high teens minimum, maybe bigger.

October2011Steelheading262.jpg

October2011Steelheading264.jpg

October2011Steelheading248.jpg

October2011Steelheading247.jpg

October2011Steelheading245.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5969-1-1.jpg

IMG_5975-1.jpg

Edited by solopaddler

but even happier to have had a chance to experience one of those strikes. It was literally like hooking into a train going the other way :wacko: !!!

That's so ironic. That's pretty much exactly what Aaron Shirley said when we were out LOL!

I think he said it was a bus though, not a train. :D

Awesome Mike!! I tried this for a couple hours out this way on the weekend.

Nadda, but there is some other water I'll give it a go this week.

Thanks for sparking something different for me to give a go.

Edited by Harrison

Awesome Mike!! I tried this for a couple hours out this way on the weekend.

Nadda, but there is some other water I'll give it a go this week.

Thanks for sparking something different for me to give a go.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but out your way you've got to scale everything down and slow down the presentation. Out your way I'm partial to micro sized Kwikfish and Flatfish and spinners no bigger than a #2.

Nice job on the steelies. I like that spinning reel with the short wide spool. What type is it ?

Phil already answered the question, it is indeed an SX series US Reel. It's a true longcast spinning reel.

Decent reel, not overly expensive....but...the drag needs to be tweaked if you're using it for steelhead.

I've switched out the stock washers in mine with some leather and felt to improve performance.

For any other fish the stock drag is just fine, but these steelhead are hitting so hard and violently that the drag needs to be absolutely butter smooth.

Another similar reel that's also decent for the purpose is the Pfleuger Arbor.

If I'm not mistaken Phil has them on sale in his online store.

Been meaning to order one from etackle.ca myself to give it a whirl. ;)