Snowblower Recommendations

RickOnt

i have a husqvarna snowblower and lawnmower. did a ton of research on the snowblower and didn't even know husky made snowblowers - build quality vs. price was remarkable - cheaper then just about anybody (except the depot!) and heavy build, sealed bearings, etc...

i didn't think much of the ariens but they seem very popular! wouldn't have anything to do with the fact they are economical and at the front door of every home depot?

My guess is that the Ariens you see at the Home Depot have very little in common with the Ariens of 10 or 20 or even 30 years ago that everybody raves about.

I'd say the Toro is probably your best built machine for the money these days. Besides, you'll get much better service in the future if you buy from a reputable independent dealer.

My Toro is 20 years old and still starts on the 1st pull every time. It's a 5hp 21 inch 2 stage. For my purposes here in the 'burbs, it's fine. You need a minimum 8hp maybe even a 10 or 12hp depending on how much snow you need to clear. I'd go with Toro, Ariens is fine as well but buy it from a dealer who will set it up and make sure it runs properly. Home Depot will charge you to assemble it and you have to make sure it's running properly.

I am looking for a Blower.

I have a 4 wheeler/ATV with plow but sometimes if the snow is drifted or we get more than I can push and Ramp up, a Blower would help.

I have been spoiled as the neihbour has a big blower on His Tractor and He was doing some cleanup for me,

However this year He is going to Florida for 3 Months,

What Size,HP,Brands etc would anyone recommend.

Rick

http://parrysoundbuyandsell.ca/ THEY HAVE ONE FOR SALE THAT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR YOU.

The new John Deere's are just re-branded Simplicity snowblowers. Simplicity it's self as a brand is owned by Briggs Stratton who also own the Murry, Snapper and numerous other brands.

As I said earlier, I love my Ariens Platinum, but also strongly considered Honda. I personally think Honda makes the best, especially their tracked models, but they do come at a considerably higher price. When making comparison to the Ariens and considering my needs, I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Honda.

I'd also like to echo several other's opinion that buying from a dealer is worth the support and set up. My Ariens dealer in Fort Francis has be great and their prices were competitive with the Home Depot's of the world.

Edited by Old Man

Just to add my 2 cents, Ive had the same 10/27 Murry select From home depot and have done oil changes every year,no problems.Imagine that in Barrie. I agree 10hp or greater is a must if you have any snow at all. A good cover to help slow down the rust and added weathering to the pull cord. Oh by the way I have a plastic shute and I add hot water some times because of freezing

Just to add my 2 cents, Ive had the same 10/27 Murry select From home depot and have done oil changes every year,no problems.Imagine that in Barrie. I agree 10hp or greater is a must if you have any snow at all. A good cover to help slow down the rust and added weathering to the pull cord. Oh by the way I have a plastic shute and I add hot water some times because of freezing

good.gif

I use spary lithium grease a couple of times a winter on the aiming gear, and i spray ''Heat'' deicer for windshields on the chute if it freezes, but i rarely have this problem unless its really wet snow.

I am looking for a Blower.

I have a 4 wheeler/ATV with plow but sometimes if the snow is drifted or we get more than I can push and Ramp up, a Blower would help.

I have been spoiled as the neihbour has a big blower on His Tractor and He was doing some cleanup for me,

However this year He is going to Florida for 3 Months,

What Size,HP,Brands etc would anyone recommend.

Rick

this is the only way to go for an ATV THIS ONE WORKS THE BEST ON THE MARKET. CHECK IT OUT

WEB SITE>>>>>>>> ( www.bercomac.com ) ITs a real snow blower that works on ATVs . its got power and it has its own 21 hp motor . best out for ATVs.

Edited by mrpike

It seems that this outfit - MTD Canada- makes quite a few snow blowers under different names:

http://www.mtdcanada.com/home.asp

It you buy one of them, parts are not a problem as they are shared over several makes.

I purchased a Cub Cadet two years ago. Home Depot was selling them, but did not sell the replaceable lugs??? They did not sell tire chains for them either - salesperson told me with the tires they came with, you wouldn't need them. (absolute baloney)A part-timer would be assembling it for $40 or so.

So I went to a local dealer-Georgian Small Engines. They took a deposit of 25% for pickup the following weekend. Following weekend, no one had any knowledge of my blower! They did get one together in an hour. I ended up re-assembling it myself as parts were loose.

The snow blower works okay now. But I'd recommend learning something about them before purchasing.