Ice Auger from Costco

Cosmos

Hi Guys,

Just got news email from Costco.

This is an auger they are selling now:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10351131&cm_mmc=CNEmail_EN_574-_-Focus-_-26-_-MarketingItemName

Tempest

43 cc, 2-stroke engine

8-in. Ice Auger

Features Super Sharp High-speed Serrated Stainless Cutters

Item # 277385

Be the first to write a review.

Share this Product:

$329.99

Shipping & Handling included

Has anyone use it before?

I bought equinox ice hut from Costco and i am pretty happy with it.

Just wondering how good is this product?

Also i can see that they start selling ice huts again:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10352729&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|111|22211|22229&N=4011457&Mo=10&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22229&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&hierPath=111*22211*22229*&topnav=

I used 2-3 person all last season and wuld like to say that this is a really good product for this money.

Looks to be the same as the Eskimo unit they carried the last couple of years, except green paint must cost more than red... :whistling:

They did the same with the pop-up huts the stores have carried (on-line is sometimes different). Two years ago they sold the red Eskimo QuickFish 3, last year they had a blue version under a different name but it was identical in every other way.

The suppliers prefer to sell Costco a slightly differentiated product (if only in colour) in order to protect the price integrity of other dealers of the same product.

If only they had a 10" version :whistling: I'm crossing my fingers that either Costco or another store will offer a good price on a 10" auger. As for the 8" auger, $329.00 to your door is a great price. I also agree that Costco is great for returns if your not happy.

Edited by motion

I just saw that on their site as well, it says it has a Viper engine, but if its the same as their Eskimo then thats good as some folks here said the Eskimo has worked well, + Costco's return policy is very good. Now to see how many twoonies I have saved in my change jar, that just may cover it half of it ....

after playing with google search for Tempest Ice Auger all I cam up with was the Cost-Co site. It looks just like the Eskimo I got last year but in bright green. When I got mine it was $299.99 online shipping incl. or $284.99 in store. so call your local store to see if tey are going to stock it based on the web item number. they can tell you what stores are going to or are selling it too. I'm very happy with mine.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up - Peterborough Costco is clearing these out at $249.97. Had 7-8 units in stock.

I'm assuming this is a great price. Brand may be unproven, but with Costco's return policy is probably a no-brainer for those looking for an auger.

Just a heads up - Peterborough Costco is clearing these out at $249.97. Had 7-8 units in stock.

I'm assuming this is a great price. Brand may be unproven, but with Costco's return policy is probably a no-brainer for those looking for an auger.

Brand is not unproven, they are rebranded Eskimo Makos the same as the Rapala power augers CTC had on sale last week for $249.

Brand is not unproven, they are rebranded Eskimo Makos the same as the Rapala power augers CTC had on sale last week for $249.

correct! just make sure you can get the right replacement blades (or know how to sharpen them on your own) if you do so... :whistling:

correct! just make sure you can get the right replacement blades (or know how to sharpen them on your own) if you do so... :whistling:

Dont waste yer time on the sharpening.get replacement blades.

Should of bought a strike master. PROVEN. :clapping:

Edited by Misfish

OMG DROOL Thats so sweet Dave. ERA?

:D

Not sure of the ERA but I bought it off ebay 5 years ago.

I think it was a refurb.

$300 and change incl. shipping.

It's a 10 1/4" 3HP job.

The new Mo is an 8" 3hp that will be used on them lakes wit de small fish in dem.

Hoping it's a little lighter as that Strikemaster gets pretty heavy by the end of the day.

PS I always have spare blades handy. ;)

I've got 3 sets for the strikemaster one stays home and one set is in the storage pouch in my auger bag. Along with allen key, wrenches, spare plug and new rope for the pull starter.

Don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with 5' of ice and a broken auger. :oops:

The one I bought last year,new 2010, is very light.It,s a 8 inch. I was very pleased with it. I,ll find out how good it really is this season.I only had 4 trips out with it last year.This year it will get a full work out.That is of course,I dont need the spud to make holes. :whistling: Southern Ontario winters are so unpreditable. :lol:

They have a couple left at Ajax location .....

Why do you need to sharpen the blades or replace them so often? I've had mine for 4 years punched tons of holes and never sharpened them once. Still like new.

I have the same question Rob. My little 2Hp x 9 inch lightning has THOUSANDS of holes under it's belt thanks to 6 guys all liking to use it when we're on Temagami for a week at a time. Still cuts like it was new and this will be it's 5th year.

I think part of the issue is ones like mine use the ripper blades on them and these strikemasters and the likes use the same blades the hand augers use... and they just don't hold up to the abuse of being powered.

MIND YOU.. this Tempest is showing it has a serrated tempered blade ! The strikemaster that I bought of Misfish's brother Rob had two normal blades on it just like a hand auger.

Edited by irishfield