It's OFFICIAL!!!

bigbuck

I'm now a member of the 50 inch club!!!! I went up to check on my mouse traps at the trailer and to get out and do some musky fishing. Left Oakville at 11:00am and it was nice and sunny. By the time I got up to Honey Harbour, it was raining and windy. Checked my traps (caught one nice fat mouse) and grabbed my gear and headed down to the boat and it wasn't at it's normal slip, the wind on Sunday did a number on many a dock in the area, the chains were busted, anchor piles moved, a fair bit of damage. The boys out on the barges sure were busy yesterday repairing docks in the area.

Got out do some trolling since casting was out of the question due to the winds and rain. Trolled for a couple of hours with nothing to show for my efforts and pulled into a buddie's place for a hot coffee and a visit, trolled back and had a big hit that felt like a snag, checked the sounder and I was in 25 feet of water, IT'S A FISH!! I put the boat in neutral and started the battle, she peeled some line and I tightened down the drag a bit and she was still pulling drag, IT'S A BIGGUN!!! I fought her for a couple of minutes and got her close to the boat when I noticed a barge coming right at me and I was blocking it's path, so I loosened the drag a bit and moved the boat closer to shore. The barge stopped and watched the fight, I got her up to the boat, got the Stowmaster ready and off she went again, she did that 2 more times before she was ready to be scooped up. While getting the net under her, she thrashed and rolled and spit the hook which was pretty much straightened out now and managed to hook the corner of her eye socket to my horror, thankfully, her eye was ok and the hook was only in the skin. I got a quick measurement of length, 50 INCHES!!! and she was fat and heavy, I figure around 40 pounds or so. Nice and clean with no scars or markings, really pretty fish!! I was going to try to get a pic but my hands were covered in slime and blood and the back deck of my boat looked like an ax murder went down and I was not going to make a mess of my Blackberry which would have took a lousy picture anyway so I slipped her back into the water and she went off like a shot with no revival necessary. The guys in the barge were hooting and hollering when they saw the musky.

I figured this spot would produce and have heard stories about it so this was the first time I fished it and it produced for me. It took about an hour or so before the adrenaline rush subsided. GBAY may not be a numbers fishery but it sure is a monster producer.

Thanks everyone!! She sure was a nice fish and it's unfortunate that I didn't get a pic but I did measure her (mind you, I didn't pinch the tail). It dispelled the stories I have heard that the big girls of GBAY don't fight too much. I'm really stoked now and am hoping to make it up for one more trip in the next week before I pull the boat out of the water for winterization and storage.

congrats! I too can tell the way you wrote that, that it must have been a great fish and an adventure being solo (I was there not too long ago ;)). The memory still runs through my mind of my biggest fish so I'm sure yours will too all the time... :clapping: