Small Basement Leak

fishnsled

Well since I'm not fishing today I decided to get some stuff done around the house. Upon doing so I discovered a small leak in my storage area. Wondering if anyone has had some recent work done that they are happy with and would recommend anyone in the Durham region for repairs? Would like to get someone to look at it this week. Thanks.

Well since I'm not fishing today I decided to get some stuff done around the house. Upon doing so I discovered a small leak in my storage area. Wondering if anyone has had some recent work done that they are happy with and would recommend anyone in the Durham region for repairs? Would like to get someone to look at it this week. Thanks.

have a look outside and see if there is slope going away from the wall,Usually quick fix, no slope is a dead giveaway.

My son is law just and a small leak due to a cracked foundation wall, the builder injected it wil a solution and stoped it.

Oh yeah, can't help you on the leak....I'm busy that day..... :whistling:

Yeah,he,s cutting down his hedge. :whistling:

Slope or no slope,he has a leak. How old is the house? Is it block foundation or poured concrete?

If it,s block,you may have some work ahead of you.Concrete,what Ket said,good be a fast fix.

Edited by Misfish

Too many variables to give you an answer Will.... a leak can be caused by any number of things... perhaps a better description of where you see the moisture coming in and the construction type and I would be able to provide you with a proper answer. It could be anything, from a failing sill gasket, cracked foundation, weepers... or even a problem with you're siding...

Just to many variables. descriptions and photos inside and out would help.

G.

Looking at the picture tells me that there is a dip under the mat and that the water travels towards the foundation and the crack...Maybe as a quick fix you could tar the wall and put some cold patch in the low spot... what it really needs is to be regraded and sealed properly. At the very least extend the downspouts away from the foundation....

What Gerrit said.

Looks to me like there could be a few problems and this looks like its been going on for a while.

probably should be fixed before the ground starts to freez.

I wouldnt be in a pannic to get this fixed or you probably will end up doing it again in a few years.

It looks like there is no quick fix.

I travel up into Durham all the time I would be happy to take a look and see what may be involved.

Ps not trying to sell you on anything.

Pm me if this sounds acceptable.

Don.

Thing is, if it's a block wall the water isn't necessarily coming in from that crack. It could be coming in from another source altogether. Or, it could be coming from multiple sources.

Assuming the outside grade is okay, your weeping tile is not plugged up, and your siding, windows and eves are all in good shape, there are a couple of ways of dealing with this.

It looks like the basement is unfinished where you have the water coming in. If that location is reasonably close to a floor drain, you can put in a French drain. What they do is jackhammer a small trench along the base of the wall, then take it out to the existing floor drain. The inside of the wall gets treated with a plastic sealant, and the trench gets some coarse gravel in it. Finally, they cement over the trench so it's hard to tell work was ever done there - pant the floor and you'll never know. What happens is that water still comes in, but it gets directed down into this little in-floor trench and sent down the drain - at least it's controlled and won't do any damage to your stuff. It will cost you from maybe a couple hundred bucks to $2,000 or more, depending how far they have to dig, and it works very well. But, it's a short-term bandaid solution.

In the long term, you'll most likely have to dig around the outside of the house and apply a proper waterproof membrane to permanently fix the problem. That costs a lot more money (amount depends on size of the house and how easy/hard it will be to dig). But, it won't ever leak again.

In the end, it comes down to how much you want to spend, and how long you plan to stay in that house.

In these types of situations simply ask yourself "what would Mike Holmes do?"

Tell the boys "Ok, let's knock'er down and bill the owner. I'll be back, have to change my coveralls and fix my hair. :)

(I am just jealous, my wife likes him)

Best suggestion.....

Open the crack larger, flood the basement and stock it with fish. whistling.gif

But then he's gonna have to try and figure out how to get the boat down there Chris! Plus, CCMT will never leave! No more pics taken at the Fns household, he doesn't want anyone stealing his spot!

HH

PM F7Firecat, he does this kind of stuff for a living and I'm sure he will have a feasible solution for you.

If you want my opinion, pulyurethane injection will fix your problem at the cheapest cost. This is how they fix foundation cracks in new homes. Judging by the pic you attached, it looks like water pools under your mat because the grading is not adequate. I would be tearing that up next year or asap and properly grading the area. If you leave it until next year you should be shoveling all snow away from the area this winter.

Best suggestion.....

Open the crack larger, flood the basement and stock it with fish. whistling.gif

Did this once before when the hot water tank let go. :rolleyes:

But then he's gonna have to try and figure out how to get the boat down there Chris! Plus, CCMT will never leave! No more pics taken at the Fns household, he doesn't want anyone stealing his spot!

HH

:D

PM F7Firecat, he does this kind of stuff for a living and I'm sure he will have a feasible solution for you.

If you want my opinion, pulyurethane injection will fix your problem at the cheapest cost. This is how they fix foundation cracks in new homes. Judging by the pic you attached, it looks like water pools under your mat because the grading is not adequate. I would be tearing that up next year or asap and properly grading the area. If you leave it until next year you should be shoveling all snow away from the area this winter.

Thanks for the input and pm sent.

I've seen similar problems at my parent's old home and roofing seal (what they use on flat roofs) did the trick. It's good because it maintains its elasticity. By no means a permanent solution, but it should get you through the winter.

Does this stuff dry up or does it remain tacky?

I've seen similar problems at my parent's old home and roofing seal (what they use on flat roofs) did the trick. It's good because it maintains its elasticity. By no means a permanent solution, but it should get you through the winter.

Do you know what kind of sealer it was? I am looking for something like this to use on my roof. I know that there's a lot of different kinds out there but I'm finding it hard to find locally except for one brand that Rona has. :dunno:

Does this stuff dry up or does it remain tacky?

It gets more viscous than its original state but it doesn't really harden. It's remains flexible so it will be effective even if the crack slightly changes shape due to moisture/temperature.

Do you know what kind of sealer it was? I am looking for something like this to use on my roof. I know that there's a lot of different kinds out there but I'm finding it hard to find locally except for one brand that Rona has. :dunno:

I don't remember since it was stuff that a neighbour had left over after we helped him redo a flat roof. I believe it was some brand from Home Depot, I'll try to find out.

I'm figuring that I need to dig around the up foundation. There is a crack at the side entrance but wondering if a patch can be made to get me through the winter.

Exterior Shots.

IMG_7214.jpg

Water entrance?

IMG_7215.jpg

Interior shot.

IMG_7213.jpg

Looks like a grading issue judging by the basement photos. Water looks like it's get in at the top of the blocks.