Tire pressure

fishnsled

The "scam" part comes from the tire shops that have discovered it fashionable to sell it to people at inflated prices.

Selling it "inflated" sounds reasonable to me if we're talking tires, Brian. Sorry, only on my first coffee here.

All newer vehicles in the USA have tire pressure sending units because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone Tire fiasco.....but none of these tires as far as I know have nitrogen in them

My 2010 F-150 was manufactured in Deerbourne (sp) Michigan, has tire pressure sending units and came equipped with nitrogen filled tires.

Different specs for different countries I spose :dunno:

As for the air compressors mentioned by Jer, I always have 2 in my truck and have extended the power cord by about 25' so I can reach the trailer wheels if needed.

Sorry,

But I have to disagree! The reasoning behind using Nitrogen in tires is directly linked to it's "inert" properties. While not purely inert, it is virtually so at the temperatures and pressures used in tires. The air we breath is considered to be 78% Nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, and the remainder (approx. 1%)is other gases such as CO2, Argon, etc. Commercial Aircraft have always used Nitrogen in their tires so that the pressure at 40,000 feet would not be that much different from the pressure on the runway in Saudi Arabia.

Sorry but I tend to disagree too, Nitrogen is not an inert gas by definition, in fact it can be a highly reactive gas, regardless of temperature. Inert means it doesn't with other substances.

As for the air compressors mentioned by Jer, I always have 2 in my truck and have extended the power cord by about 25' so I can reach the trailer wheels if needed.

I always carry one as well, going to extend the power cord so that I can easily reach the trailer tires. Good tip Lew. :good:

All newer vehicles in the USA have tire pressure sending units because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone Tire fiasco.....but none of these tires as far as I know have nitrogen in them....however, there is one tire dealer here that advertises the great gas savings nitrogen give your vehicle when they add it to their tires upon purchase from them... :rolleyes:

You would think after all these great gas saving devices that I would have to actually drain gas from my tank....LOL

Actually I think they all have nitrogen in them... well 78% nitrogen anyway :whistling:

Actually I think they all have nitrogen in them... well 78% nitrogen anyway :whistling:

John.....anything is possible I guess but recently in purchasing a 2007, 2009 and 2010 vehicles none have nitrogen in the tires unless the dealer and owners manuals haven't mentioned it. :dunno:

Memo to fishnsled ..............Toss tire pressure gauge in the garbage !!

I have a digital tire gauge and it was at 39psi. Went to the gas station and use the gauge on hose and read just shy of 80psi. Grabbed my gauge and checked both tires on trailer and one was 77psi and the other was 76psi.

2 different gauges with similar readings as quoted. Don't think it was the gauge. Have tested it since against a couple "old school" gauges I have and the readings are the same. Just found it weird that tire pressure could change that much. I'm usually on top of these things but had some other stuff on my mind as of late. Tires are topped up and will test them on the next trip to see what kind of different reading I get from cold to hot the next time.

If that is true then when my tire lost pressure would it be because the oxygen leaked out... and the nitrogen would still remain? If so, would the nitrogen content increase and approach 100% as I continnually replaced the lost oxygen content with and 80/20 nitrogen/oxygen mixture?

That would be cheaper than actually paying for the nitrogen.

Just asking.

I had my front tires replaced a while back and they filled all 4 with nitrogen. Crappy rims started slow leaks in both new tires after only a short period. I had to fill tires at least twice a week and just used straight air from gas stations. I saw no difference. They leaked as quickly as the old tires with straight air.

2 blowouts recently (not one but 2 - at the same time!) and 4 new rims & tires with just air. Haven't had to fill them yet in 2 mnths! And steering straight for the first time in years! Woohoo! :clapping: