Someone recently said"Oct 1, i have an urge to start the furnace"

mercman

Lit up the stove Saturday night after we got home from a house warming party at the Ports of Newcastle and kept it going all day yesterday rather than turning up the baseboards...

We used to burn about 5 bush cords a year but a couple of years ago we cut back to half a bush cord a year for emergency and/or recreation fires as my wife's asthma came back after being six years free...

It is just as well as my legs and back can' take the lugging involved...I still chop my own kindling on a big stump I have in the garage...canadian.gif

One of the things that got me to buy my house is the 'real' fireplace that is pretty big in the family room. You can't beat the snap crackle and pop of real wood not to mention the smell of the smoke. I have a gas fireplace in the basement rec room that is nice for a 'quick' fire and to take the chill out but it still doesn't have the ambience that real wood burning provides.

Came home from a weekend away packing another house and was looking forward to walking into the warmth of our house. No such luck...it was down to 53 degrees! And there were 2 very unhappy Bearded Dragons! Haha! So turned the furnace on for the first time this year and got it back up to 69!

We can't have a real burning fireplace either due to my daughters' asthma but this was my Xmas present last year.

IMG_0668.jpg

And now every time I try to use it, he complains the fan keeps him awake! SHEESH!!!! :lol:

Nothing like a real wood buring fireplace on a cold crisp night. It is really hard, almost impossible, to find one in a newer home subdivision. When I looked into putting a wood burner in the basement I was blown away at the headache to do so.

So I have a gas one, it is ok, but nothing like the real deal IMO.

fire2.jpg

Edited by Harrison

After all those years of living at home and being forced by the old man to prep the fire, I sure as hell am glad my new to me home has a gas fireplace. To me, the effort required for a wood burning fireplace is not worth it. I'd rather flick a switch. And ya I still have to help every year to put away 4 cords of wood :wallbash: at my dads place. Overall, yes a wood burning fire is more pleasant, but not worth the effort IMO.

Nothing like a real wood buring fireplace on a cold crisp night. It is really hard, almost impossible, to find one in a newer home subdivision. When I looked into putting a wood burner in the basement I was blown away at the headache to do so.

So I have a gas one, it is ok, but nothing like the real deal IMO.

Wow! That is gorgeous! I'm very jealous!

After all those years of living at home and being forced by the old man to prep the fire, I sure as hell am glad my new to me home has a gas fireplace. To me, the effort required for a wood burning fireplace is not worth it. I'd rather flick a switch. And ya I still have to help every year to put away 4 cords of wood :wallbash: at my dads place. Overall, yes a wood burning fire is more pleasant, but not worth the effort IMO.

I totally enjoy getting my parents wood in for them and cutt,n and splitten and stacken. Good healthy workout. :canadian::clapping:

I totally enjoy getting my parents wood in for them and cutt,n and splitten and stacken. Good healthy workout. :canadian::clapping:

This how I got my Pile-its lisence.

My Dad still burns wood; in his new house he has a wood-furnace and heat exchanger. There is no open-view fireplace but the heat is nice and the wood is cheaper than oil/gas/electric.

My condo of course is electric power with no other options. Its not very glamorous, but living on the third floor allows me to take advantage of the neighbors heat through the walls. Still, I'm jealous of those with wood or gas fireplaces.

I miss the wood fireplace we had - a bunch of you guys enjoyed it last sept. during Fish-a-Thon 2010... Here's our golden Lab chillin by the wood insert....

DSCF4268.jpg

Unfortunately, shortly after that it didn't pass it's WET certification and the wife vetoed my plans to get a new Wood insert... she's high maintenance and wanted to be able to use it when I'm not around lol :wallbash: Here's the new gas insert as of last x-mas... BOO I SAY TO GAS... Miss the wood insert big time...

163070_458815586579_502461579_6212655_896353_n.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

This how I got my Pile-its lisence.

My Dad still burns wood; in his new house he has a wood-furnace and heat exchanger. There is no open-view fireplace but the heat is nice and the wood is cheaper than oil/gas/electric.

My condo of course is electric power with no other options. Its not very glamorous, but living on the third floor allows me to take advantage of the neighbors heat through the walls. Still, I'm jealous of those with wood or gas fireplaces.

Guess I shouldn't complain - but hey, I bet your internet blow's mine out of hte water sky high! :thumbsup_anim:

Wood is too much work they say....... :rolleyes:

Lazy is as lazy does.... oh, wait....is that what Forest said... :whistling:

OK, here's the thing.......when burning wood, we enjoy not only the aroma but temps in the mid 70's...all while those who burn gas or electric are shivering in the mid 60's.... :D

Wood is too much work they say....... :rolleyes:

Lazy is as lazy does.... oh, wait....is that what Forest said... :whistling:

OK, here's the thing.......when burning wood, we enjoy not only the aroma but temps in the mid 70's...all while those who burn gas or electric are shivering in the mid 60's.... :D

ya but your wood stove is only around 75% efficent while my heatpump is currently running at around 300-400% efficency and did I mention that it cools the house in the summer very cheaply. :lol:

But I do understand the ambiance thing!

Currently the heat pump is running on the lowest setting and it is a comfortable 73

Wood is too much work they say....... rolleyes.gif

Lazy is as lazy does.... oh, wait....is that what Forest said... whistling.gif

OK, here's the thing.......when burning wood, we enjoy not only the aroma but temps in the mid 70's...all while those who burn gas or electric are shivering in the mid 60's.... biggrin.gif

Oh NAY NAY !!!!

I keep the whole first floor, livingroom kitchen and master bedroom a comfortable 70-73 degrees all winter long with my freestanding gas fireplace. Set the thermostat, and bingo.I have auto 6 position flame, and six position fan.If the temp drops below 2 drgrees of what i set, the flame and fan kick in at 6, then slowly and automatically reduce as the temp reaches the desired setting.

Its whatca called new technology Bob!! Kinda like when you got internet for the first time last monthtongue.gif

Oh NAY NAY !!!!

I keep the whole first floor, livingroom kitchen and master bedroom a comfortable 70-73 degrees all winter long with my freestanding gas fireplace. Set the thermostat, and bingo.I have auto 6 position flame, and six position fan.If the temp drops below 2 drgrees of what i set, the flame and fan kick in at 6, then slowly and automatically reduce as the temp reaches the desired setting.

Its whatca called new technology Bob!! Kinda like when you got internet for the first time last monthtongue.gif

Paul, I not saying that your freestanding fake fireplace will not heat the home to a nice warm temp...what I was trying to say is that most folks don't want to spend the $$$$ to get the home that warm...where with wood we don't care about how much gas or electric is going for this month......It's what we Rednecks call....Honey, throw another log on the fire.... :thumbsup_anim:

I'm using my gas furnace now since it is new and not cold enough to make a fire. Once it gets colder and I can keep the fire going 24/7 I won't be using the furnace anymore except when I go away for a few days. My high efficient wood stove is in my living room, it has a glass door so I can enjoy the flame. I burn about 3 full chords a winter and wouldn't change it for anything. Wood is the only fuel that heats you up more than once.

Here's what I use!

firepit.jpg

Whatcha gonna do when yer clothes git dirty and the Wife wants her washin machine drum back? LOL

We have a gas stove in the living room that has been on for a week or so. I have it on a thermostat with an automatic fan. This keeps the main room warm. We use a nice duvet on the bed and it is fairly cool in there for sleeping. The wood burning fireplace downstairs will get used when it gets colder and we spend more time down there. For the two of us, this works! I may consider the furnace if this weather keeps up!

When I looked into putting a wood burner in the basement I was blown away at the headache to do so.

Ya no kidding...even after all the bi-law & firecode research, permits and inspections I had a bi-law officer come by to "re-inspect" as Some nosey nieghbor complained my brand new stainless steel double wall superflu stove pipe was an eye sore....

They also were concerned my chimney was not high enough and they feared the smoke would damage their home. :asshat: 's

Anyway,

I was legit and my stove was installed to the letter of code.

It was a pain in the behind but I'm glad I did it.

Smelly, dirty,messy fireplace no thanks, I have a gas FP in the basement and it`s okay.

LOL...its the smelly messy look I want in my basement?

I guess different strokes for different folks :)