Someone recently said"Oct 1, i have an urge to start the furnace"

mercman

I love a warm fireplace, but bylaws in my area forbid woodburning fireplaces to be installed in new homes, or retrofitted in older homes.Next best is this Vermont Castings, clean burning gas fireplace i installed last fall.I like it for its realistic embers, and logs. Love the remote control, and fully automatic thermostat control.Set the room temp, grab a glass of sparkling grape juice and relax by the fireclapping.gif

IMGP0058.jpg

Nothing beats the smell of a fireplace, but this is the next best thing for me.

Funny you started this thread Paul cause this morning I replaced the filter in the furnace and gave it a rip to boost the temps back to 20C in the house :)

I have a wooden fireplace in the living room but rarely use it due to my wife and daughter being asthmatic :o

Only in emergency situations will I use it to heat the house :angel:

Nice looking fireplace you have btw :thumbsup_anim:B)

Edited by Leechman

Im not one for snozzing Lew,but I could in either one of those spots on a cold winters day after a hunt. :thumbsup_anim:

You know your welcome anytime Brian, and you can even do all your hunting without leaving the back deck.

It'll save all that tree climbing you enjoy so much :lol:

A cozy wood fire

Me in the comfy chair

One 4 legged critter hangin outside in the tree---just brought home from an early start to the day

A cold beer

fresh tenderloins fryin in the pan in butter with lots o black pepper

This is Canadian Heaven

I have a wooden fireplace in the living room but rarely use it

A wooden fireplace? I wouldn't use it either. :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry Leechman. I couldn't help myself. I'm sitting in a motel room in Dryden and bored.

Installed my own 2 Novembers ago, and LOVE it.

Grew up with one, and My first house was simply to small to give up the space, so when I bought the new house It was in the plan all along to have one in my man cave(AKA basement)

firstfireinnewfireplaceforOFN.jpg

Goofy grin but this was the begining of my first fire in the new stove :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Cookslav

I couldn't live in a area where someone else tells me what I can and cannot do in my own home....grrrrrrrr that gets my blood boiling enough that I don't even have to heat the house...

But anyways.....I have been heating with primarily wood for about 10 years....but that's coming to a end as my RA is affecting me more and more and can't do the heaving lifting, etc...

However, we still plan to burn 2-4 cords this year, supplementing the furnace on the coldest days with my LOPI.... :D

WoodBurningStove.jpg

I heat almost exclusively with wood, base boards are only used if we are away for a couple days or more.

Usually we burn about 3 1/2 cords a year, cut & split that's about $1000. Not bad when I talk to most folks spending at least $2000 to heat their house. Mind you, I just spent $2000+ to have a new stove-pipe and chimney installed.

I love the wood heat, she's been on a slow burn all weekend. I've never heard of such a by-law, that sucks.

I love the wood heat, she's been on a slow burn all weekend. I've never heard of such a by-law, that sucks.

Has to do with air pollution, but i believe its because the houses are close to eachother in the city and burbs, and the smoke bothers some people.

I heated completely with my gas fireplace last year for just under 700 bucks. I do agree though,i like the smell and sound of real wood burning.