eating lake ontario fish

northernpike56

most of the fish i catch in the harbourfront area are covered in lesions and boils of unknown origin. the anchor comes up out of the bay covered in inches of thick oily slag. when i was a kid at sailing school on the bay we'd overturn our boats in rough weather. if you accidentally swallowed some water you would puke almost right away. bodies way of telling ya something. i've been advised by local marinas to flush the motor every time you go in the bay due to the water being so caustic.

who cares what the book says. if ya want fish tonite try the fish market.

i wouldn't eat a 4lb bass from any lake that's a personal thing....

ahah well i don't see it being too bad, atleast not as bad as some of the stuff i've seen while working.. people poaching half dead salmon and keeping carp/suckers and selling them at their restaurants in Toronto labeling them only as "Fish", duped wayyy too many people and the fines don't seem to be enough of a deterrant.

While we are on the topic of eating bass...for all you bass eaters..do you'll have a personal size limit for largies and smallies beyond which you wouldnt eat em..

I dont usually eat largies since i am not a fan of the taste of the fish but dont mind filleting a smallie every now and then...Usually keep fish in the 15 -17 inch slot....but the more I think about it..fish that big here in Canada are pretty old...thoughts?

I would not eat any fish coming from lake Ontario . I have seen fishermen dragging half rotten salmon around, but I assumed they needed the eggs from the fish and were taking the fish home for fertilizer instead of throwing it in the bush to smell. I can not imagine anyone desperate enough to eat those half rotted salmon.

Serve it with Flava beans and some Chianti.

Jokes aside, you should eat it and document what happens.

No seriously, I read an article a few years back stating Hamilton Harbour was in the top 20 most toxic freshwater sites in North America, which eventaully led to the environmental cleanup project ongoing.