Deer Hunting question

Cookslav

I have a freind who just completed the Hunter/Safety course who wants to join my group in November.

I didn't think its a problem, but on his way out of the course the instructor and him got into a discussion, about where he is going to hunt etc...

The instructer finds out he was going to join us this fall and informs my buddy he cannot.

That the Deer Draw was back in June, and he's to late?

I get that he can't enter the draw for a Doe tag, but can he not still get his license?

I was under the impression he would automaticly get a Buck tag?

I've read through the entire regulations and I can't for the life of me find anywhere that states a License deadline? There are deadlines for the Antlerless draw, but I can't find any information about deadlines for "antlered" deer???

Normally I'd just call the MNR for this information, but they are closed on weekends

So I thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge we have here :)

Edited by Cookslav

It depends on the Zone you are hunting, if there is not a controlled hunt then he can buy a license and hunt, he can shoot a buck on his own license or if you are group hunting he can shoot a doe if one of the party has a doe tag.

If it is controlled then no he cannot hunt as he missed the draw.

Dan

Yup he's licensed.

He has his Hunter Safety and PAL.

But Instuctor says he can't get a deer license this year because the Antlerless Draw was June 30th, and he missed it.

Every time I read and re-read the regs it clearly states that hunters who do not apply for an antlerless tag, or that are unsuccessful in the draw can hunt Antered Deer anywhere in the province with the excpetion of controlled hunt area's.

It also clearly states the deadline for the DRAW was June 30th

But there is no mention of having to purchse your license by then...only that if you wish to enter the Antlerless draw you must do so buy June 30th

So I am not 100% sure but if I'm reading it correctly he should be able to pick up his license the day before the season opens...he missed his chance for a Doe tag, but getting a license should be available?

If he has a hunting license, he can buy a deer license anywhere, and shoot a buck anywhere in ontario. I'm not sure what that instructor was thinking, but he is WRONG!

He can kill a doe for your party, as long as a doe tag is available in the group.

Good luck!

S.

Ok I'm glad to hear a few more people are in agreement....I thought that was the situation, and was baffled when I heard his instructor was telling him he was to late???

I searched the regs, over and over again...but I still cant see where the instructor came to this conclusion?

If the instructor actually told your friend what was reported (and your friend didn't misunderstand him?) he should be reported to the Ministry as he has no clue to what he's talking about & as such should not be teaching hunter safety which in part deals with Ministry regulations.

As an instructor of Hunter/Safety he should be expected to held to a higher standard.

I'm a First Aid/CPR instructor & I'm expected to be extremely more knowledgeable than the 70% required to pass the basic First Aid Course.

Well just for those who want to know I got official Clarification today from the MNR that YES he CAN get a Deer License. So this morning he waltzed into the Service desk and got himself his temporary Hunterversion outdoors card complete with a 3 year fish/small game seal, and Deer license with out issue.

He is also dropping by the Instructor place to give him the headsup that his info is wrong and he should probobly call everyone that took his class to let them know he was wrong and they can infact hunt THIS Year.

Thanks for all the replies, and peace of mind last night LOL...

disregard the following if you're bow hunting...

does he have a valid PAL or did he just pass that course as well? i know you can get a temporary hunting license, but i dunno about the PAL. from what i remember, there is no temp. PAL which means you need to wait for your card to come in before you can buy a gun or hunt with a gun on your own. anyone have some input on this?

as for the comment about firing the instructor for being wrong...

if people got fired for making a mistake we wouldnt have any mechanics, doctors, lawyers, CO's, or instructors of any sort as they all make mistakes at one point in their careers.

My brother just did his pal course last week and was told it was going to be atleast 6 weeks untill he gets his pal card in the mail so he can actually hunt. It will be a close call for the nov gun hunt if he can go or not. When did your friend take his course? .. Unless the guy was talking about the controlled hunt he has no clue what hes talking about as far as deer tags go.

disregard the following if you're bow hunting...

does he have a valid PAL or did he just pass that course as well? i know you can get a temporary hunting license, but i dunno about the PAL. from what i remember, there is no temp. PAL which means you need to wait for your card to come in before you can buy a gun or hunt with a gun on your own. anyone have some input on this?

if people got fired for making a mistake we wouldnt have any mechanics, doctors, lawyers, CO's, or instructors of any sort as they all make mistakes at one point in their careers.

Read the post and replies bud. He is legit.

I picked up new prop to hunt this fall and next spring for gooblers. Something about KARMA.. :worthy:

It was simply a Hunter saftey course and my bud has had his Pal for years.

The issue is the instructor told my buddy infront of a few people in the class that they could not hunt Deer this year as they had to get their license before June 30th

(which is the deadline for the Antlerless draw)

Of course a few people in the class challenged this and re-questioned the instructor as there was a fair number of people taking the course so they could hunt THIS fall.

But the instructor was 100% sure they were outta luck....

The reason I asked this question in the first place was because I invited my Buddy to join our hunt and told him to get his license so he could come along....then this instructor made it sound as though I steered my buddy wrong so I wanted clarification for peace of mind.

Either way it all worked out in the end.

BUT...My buddy is stopping by to chat with the instructor to let him know he's wrong, and that he should call his students and let them know as a couple guys left the course pretty bummed about not being able to hunt this fall.

I wouldn't want to see him fired, but he should be told he's wrong for sure and like wise he should call his students and share the good news...its the right thing to do I think :)

Edited by Cookslav

If this comment was in response to my post I think you should read what I posted.

I never said "he should be fired".

I said "reported".

When someone takes on the responsibility of teaching a course that has legal implementations one should also take on the responsibility of teaching the right information.

If his/her information was in the other direction (yes you can contrarily to the excising laws) which lead someone to violate the laws & they were charged would your sympathy still be the same for the instructor?

If your going to teach teach it correctly.

Any organization which employs or certifies instructor should have in place a system to ensure they are up to date & are actually instructing to the correct standards.

Firing may not be necessary but at least corrective actions are required to stop further mistakes.

If the mistakes continue without any attempts of correction by the instructor (& yes this can happen) than yes firing would be appropriate in this situation.

Edited by Woodsman

• 3 years later...

Gonna re-up this thread as I was looking for the same answer. My question is if I go get a buck tag can I hunt with a shotgun or only bow as I didn't apply for the controlled hunt.

If you intend to hunt in a zone with controlled hunter numbers then no you cannot hunt with a shotgun in that zone, you can hunt with a bow only, and some WMU's do not allow bow hunting if there is a controlled hunt taking place. If you intend to hunt in a WMU with a general deer season, then yes you can hunt antlered deer with a shotgun during the open season. If you are found hunting with a shotgun in a controlled hunt and don't possess a small yellow tag with the WMU, your name, and whatever the ministry is allowing for harvest, typically antlered or antlerless, then you will likely be charged. The regulations are pretty clear when you read them, but if you had intended to participate in a controlled hunt with a shotgun you would have had to apply by the end of August!

Edited by porkpie