Towing through Toronto on 401

scugpg

LOL...not freaking by any means I just want to save some time and be cautious in the process. Towing on the highway is something new and lots of folks have good input and experience doing it here.

Just yanking yer chain Bro LOL...

Take your time, keep your eyes peeled, especially for vehicles that have these four letters on the roof...TAXI!

Im my many years of driving, I can say that these professional drivers are the one's you really have to watch out for...

HH

TAXI!

Im my many years of driving, I can say that these professional drivers are the one's you really have to watch out for...

HH

And the worst part is, most of them aren't even aware of the chaos their creating as they slam and bang their way across the city :w00t:

This is the guy you can thank for traffic jams and people slamming on their brakes.

You belong in the far right lane, if you don't like the merging, then get up to speed and sit in the middle lane like everyone else.

If transports can do it, so can you.

I am already going about 5 miles over the speed limit...so go around.

Did you ever notice anyone in front of you is a "JERK" and anyone who passes you is "MANIC" ..... :whistling:

I am already going about 5 miles over the speed limit...so go around.

Did you ever notice anyone in front of you is a "JERK" and anyone who passes you is "MANIC" ..... :whistling:

Ah, so because you are already going over the limit you feel it's fine to hold up the flow of traffic?

Do us a favour, if you are going to drive slow, do it in the lane it was intended for.

they are not slow and fast lanes. the speed you are driving is irrelavant. they are DRIVING lanes and PASSING lanes. if you are being passed by traffic on the right you are in the wrong lane regardless of your speed. unless you are actively passing you belong in the far right or DRIVING/CURB lane.

slower moving traffic, no matter what the speedometer says is a huge impediment to traffic flow. it also forces a dangerous condition where oversize/commercial vehicles are forced all the way to the outside passing lanes to pass the slow moving vehicle in the middle. now all 3 lanes have slowed and no one can overtake. now a bunch of jockeys start doing double lane changes and passing on the inside. it is all related to the middle lane guy who thinks its safer to be in the middle.

think about it, you want to be safe? only have traffic on one side of you at a time and leave yourself 'an out' (ie the shoulder). this would leave the driving or curb lane as your safest lane. having traffic wizzing past you on both sides is hardly the safest conditon for you to be in.

if ya dont like it check the drivers handbook and the highway traffic act. they both address lane use and its never discussed what speed you are travelling, just fast and slow moving traffic.

of course at the 20km/hr toronto traffic moves, it really doesn't matter what lane you are in.

You want to move to the left lane as fast as possible and stay there.

Gets ya there faster eh Paul? :clapping:

Fish dont wait for no man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or women. :whistling:

On the question of the thread.

I havent had to make a trip south of Vaughan since my family south of there has been gone. I can tell you this. Once you leave the 400 and hit that 401,bring a gun,well maybe not,cause you sure as crap, will shoot someone. :devil:

Edited by Misfish

Ah, so because you are already going over the limit you feel it's fine to hold up the flow of traffic?

Do us a favour, if you are going to drive slow, do it in the lane it was intended for.

When you pay for my gasoline I'll drive in whatever lane you want...until then, I will stay in the SAFE middle lane... ;)

When you pay for my gasoline I'll drive in whatever lane you want...until then, I will stay in the SAFE middle lane... ;)

That would explain, me passing in the slow lane, to get past you in the middle lane,and the slow guy in the fast lane. :dunno:

Edited by Misfish

One of the biggest problems on our roads, beside all the obvious ones, are the middle lane numskulls that sit in there no matter what the traffic is like. The rules of the road say you are to drive in the lane farthest to the right and then move to the left to pass. Can't do that on most 3 lane highways though because we have 10km long moving road blocks of people who think that they can turn their brains off because they are sitting in the middle lane.

Oh no I have to think and anticipate traffic patterns if I'm in the left lane, I may even have to check my mirrors and change lanes to allow traffic in, how can I possibly do all that and change the radio station.

:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by kickingfrog

All i have to say is if your in the hammer lane and and a guy behind you has his front bumper under your rear bumper , boat or no boat get ta hell over and let him go by . Thats what 42 years accident free experince has to say . If you don't think so try driving the auto baund over in Germany or better yet drive Qc . Some of us are good drivers and I could go on but i'll stop here .

Edited by Skipper " D "

What I loved about the UK.. if you're in the outer lanes and not passing someone... you're subject to charge. Pass someone on the left (our right) you're charged.

As for trailering thru TO... my only fear is some ass taking out my engine and transom ! :w00t: Other than that I can point and swerve as well with 30 feet following me as I can with just the truck! :oops:

Edited by irishfield

What I loved about the UK.. if you're in the outer lanes and not passing someone... you're subject to charge. Pass someone on the left (our right) you're charged.

As for trailering thru TO... my only fear is some ass taking out my engine and transom ! :w00t: Other than that I can point and swear as well with 30 feet following me as I can with just the truck! :oops:

my thoughts exactly , iam not out there to hurt any one , theres no radio playing for three hundred miles , always consendrating on what am doingbecause i love driving but some folks just don't know .............

As for trailering thru TO... my only fear is some ass taking out my engine and transom ! w00t.gif Other than that I can point and swear as well with 30 feet following me as I can with just the truck! oops.gif

That actually happened to me Wayne.The guy wasnt watching my motor, and slowly drove his Tiberon under my skeg.No danage to my motor, but he now has a skeg mark in the middle of his hood.

yes my trailer has surge brakes.....but i had to make a hard an quick stop....mustve warmed up the discs real bad ......scared the crap out of me last weekend..i figured the original discs were bad....they had 140k on em..and im heading out to quebec next week didnt wanna take a chance....i figured for 400 installed it was cheap insurance...

maybe ill get my trailer looked at when i get back.....anyone know of a good trailer place...

Depending on the time and day, spend the $ on the 407. I for one use the 407 daily (perq of the job). I find that the drivers on the 407 are better drivers, the traffic is always moving and the conditions of the road are second to none (GTA anyway).

It will save time and gas and will offset the cost of the toll. Where is your start and end points?

My thoughts exactly!

Plan on leaving early or after supper. Between 7 and 9 and 3 and 6, not much point on trying to get through TO anywhere on the 401. If you've tried doing it often enough, you will know what I mean - ask a few of the transport drivers and regular commuters on the board.

not sure how close you like to follow the person in front usually, but try to double it. Even with a little boat you're stopping distance will be longer, and as Wayne and Paul mentioned - the guy behind you will ususally need more time than he has allowed too, so help him out. Yes, cars will continue to take the opening, but it surprising how easy it is to maintain after a while.

As an interesting excercise if you get in one of those stop and go back ups - find one of the lane jumpers with an easily identifiable car - colour, roof rack, whatever. 9 times out of 10, when the road finallly clears, he'll be within 10 -15 car lengths.

As for those who don't understand the concept of lane dsicipline - the net effect of failing to abide by the keep right except to pass requirment of the HTA reduces a 3 lane highway to a 2 lane highway and vauses congestion and accidents. It is not the safe lane as some mis-guided defensive driving organisiations identified it back in the 1970's -it is the middle passing lane and I wish the police would enforce the obstructing traffic charges that can and should be laid. Stating you can't change lanes due to merging and other traffic in the left lane is nothing other than justification for your unwillingness to drive properly. I towed 48 and 53 foot of trailers through Toronto Montreal and other areas for years. Wayne is 100% correct about how effective lane discipline is at keeping traffic moving int he UK and Europe in general. Enforcing it here woudl go along way towards addressingour raod congestion and accident rate. Use da cruze and go with da flow.

Theres some good remarks here now and there right , nobody wants to be told out on the road that they are the dink , but what it all boils down too is to many people on the road don't know what they should be doing while driving in traffic , seams its more importen to be consendrating on their phone ,drinking Tims,how loud they can get the music to play , waiting for the gps to tell them what to do next ect then consendrating on the driving part of what they are doing . I know , i just bought my first new truck last fall with all the toys , thease things were'nt my choice but i needed a truck right away to be able to keep moving my equipment and this is the only way they come now , no more bare bones as they dont make enough money selling that kind of stuff . To me the thing is nothing but a death trap out on the road with all its buildt in features that try to distrac you from what you realy should be consendrating on , and that at all times should be the driving , some of us who can't let our selves be distracted know you can never take your eyes off the driving for a second . It shure would be nice if we were all on the same team but i've lived long enough to know thats never gona happen .

Nothing much more to say on the 401 driving, but I find I have to brake hard more often when I'm travelling on the roads north of the 401. You know, the guy who turns onto the highway you are on RIGHT in front of you causing you to hit the brakes hard... and when you look in the rear view there is not a car in sight???

Edited by ccmt