Do you eat large mouth bass?

Nipfisher

I have eaten both, probably been about 10 years since I've eaten either though. Soaking them in milk will help.

Bass have turned into a strictly catch and release fish for me. Most of the time, the waters that I catch them in have plenty of panfish if I do want a meal.

I eat LMB, and i really like it.I guess the taste chages from one place to the other, depending on what they eat.

I either deep fry them in batter, or even better, tin foil, butter, garlic, and a touch of Cattle Boyz BBQ sauce, put a scallion on each fillet. Oven at 3235f for 20-25 minutes.

I find LMB very lite tasting, almost bland.You have to spice it up a little bit.

I have eaten both, probably been about 10 years since I've eaten either though. Soaking them in milk will help.

Bass have turned into a strictly catch and release fish for me. Most of the time, the waters that I catch them in have plenty of panfish if I do want a meal.

As a kid growing up and fishing with my pop,we kept smallies for the fry. They tasted like fish. I have tried one large mouth, my whole life and it tasted like ,,crap.

Butter milk is the best for soaking IMO.

I eat LMB, and i really like it.I guess the taste chages from one place to the other, depending on what they eat.

I either deep fry them in batter, or even better, tin foil, butter, garlic, and a touch of Cattle Boyz BBQ sauce, put a scallion on each fillet. Oven at 3235f for 20-25 minutes.

I find LMB very lite tasting, almost bland.You have to spice it up a little bit.

BBQ sauce with freshwater fish huh? Interesting....I'll have to try that.

Edited by Jigs

I have eaten them twice in my life.....sadly I enjoyed both experiences.

My policy is stricky catch & release too. I figured the fish gods won't shine down on me when I'm warming up the skillet. Maybe why I never seem to catch pickeral!

the few times i've tried LMB they have been very soft fleshed, a little gross when your thumb punches thru a fresh fillet you are trying to hold.

i think it has more to do with the water temp and "sunbaked" nature of the fish, when caught in an 80+ degree shallow lake the fish comes out half cooked!.

now a smally from an ice cold northern lake , seems like the flesh is firmer and much more palatable.

tried a scugog largie once - turned me off not just LMB, but shallow water fish forever.

Personally, I like LM better than SM for table fare. The flesh is firmer I find. You can fry the fillets up in beer batter or steam it whole with green onions, ginger and soy sauce. That's how they cook them in the chinese restaurants. Check out the chinese markets down in T.O., they sell farmed LMs. They call them green bass and you can order it in the local eateries.

Anyone that has ever fished Lingham Lake and did not eat Large mouth bass or Small mouth bass from that lake has missed out on some of the best tasting fish in Ontario. when we went into Lingham, we went with canoe, fish was our staple for dinner every night.

the few times i've tried LMB they have been very soft fleshed, a little gross when your thumb punches thru a fresh fillet you are trying to hold.

i think it has more to do with the water temp and "sunbaked" nature of the fish, when caught in an 80+ degree shallow lake the fish comes out half cooked!.

now a smally from an ice cold northern lake , seems like the flesh is firmer and much more palatable.

tried a scugog largie once - turned me off not just LMB, but shallow water fish forever.

Flesh was firm as pike. A little more reddish in colour but still looked like fish. I'll let you all know how it tastes tomorrow.

I love'em....have eaten plenty. Toss up between them and smallmouth....I've had some nasty smallies....not too many unpleasant largies though. This year, I've been grilling most of them.

Fillet gets seasoned with whatever (salt, lemon-pepper, sweet chili, oregano are just a few) and I plop it down on a hot grill...flip it once...it's done when it gets flaky. I thought it would be pretty dull with no grease or butter....but it's great.

I've eaten both -- but I think it's critical that they're basically fresh out of the water -- more so than other fish. Even then, it's not something I'd want to do more than once or twice a year.

It just doesn't compare to walleye or crappie, or even a good sized rocky.