leaders for pike

Jacob

I'm just wondering what you use as a leader for pike, because i've noticed that a lot of pike are following right to the side of the boat when i use wire leaders. So i thought about trying flourocarbon next time and i wanted to know lb test to use. Most of the fish are in the 35 to 40 inch range, i'll mainly be fishing big hard bodied swimbaits, minnow baits and big soft plastics, most of the lures are 5 to 10 inches.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

I'm just wondering what you use as a leader for pike, because i've noticed that a lot of pike are following right to the side of the boat when i use wire leaders. So i thought about trying flourocarbon next time and i wanted to know lb test to use. Most of the fish are in the 35 to 40 inch range, i'll mainly be fishing big hard bodied swimbaits, minnow baits and big soft plastics, most of the lures are 5 to 10 inches.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

hi Jacob,

Im probably in the minority, but with the newer lines out, I havn't used a leader in years. Easier to cast and more proficient in the water.

Good luck

Slayer8

On my recent trip to the Attawapiskat I only used 40# Seaguar flourocarbon leader material.

I only had to retie a couple of times the whole week and I caught a bunch of big pike to 45" and didn't have a single biteoff.

I use a good quality snap/swivel on the lure end and use a back to back UNI knot to join my leader to mainline.

I'm one of the ones that count my blessings and go leaderless when targeting pike. Now if I'm targeting muskie well thats a different story all together. I like to use 80lb mono of some sort. Usually Triple fish or Seaguar with good heavy duty snap swivels.

I've been using 17lb suffix flouro for years for pike chucking bass baits and almost never break my line. But if your chucking bigger baits I'd go with 40lb possible more if your baits are expensive ;)

Edited by GoneFishin

Now I always use min. 80lb Fluoro Leader. I have had pike break 50lb braid like it was candy floss.

And personally, I would not want to have a break-off and have a lure stuck in the Pike's mouth...possibly killing it. I know I am not the only one who has caught a fish with a lure or hook still stuck in its mouth. I think the whole "It'll rust out or work its way out" is something we tell ourselves to lessen our guilt.

Pike are not leader shy. I always catch as many or more as those in the boat who don't use a leader.

But don't think switching to Fluoro will stop follows. It just comes with esox fishing.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Changing type of leader will not encourage pike to strike. Use what you're comfortable with. Pike will hit a 6 ounce bottom bouncer tied to anchor line.

I use fluoro leaders 50lb and up....not because they are less visible but because they are more convenient to tie and are available in a larger range of strengths.

Changing type of leader will not encourage pike to strike. Use what you're comfortable with. Pike will hit a 6 ounce bottom bouncer tied to anchor line.

I use fluoro leaders 50lb and up....not because they are less visible but because they are more convenient to tie and are available in a larger range of strengths.

Yup, a big pike tore a piece out of a walleye I had on a stringer tied to my canoe the other day. use a good steel stringer as a leader and you can tie several lures at the same time.

And personally, I would not want to have a break-off and have a lure stuck in the Pike's mouth...possibly killing it. I know I am not the only one who has caught a fish with a lure or hook still stuck in its mouth. I think the whole "It'll rust out or work its way out" is something we tell ourselves to lessen our guilt.

That's the same way i feel about breaking fish off, also a lot of the hooks that are used on pike lures are salt water hooks, which wil never rust out.

Thanks for all of the replies, i picked up some 50lb flouro for the next tome i'm out pike fishing.

Jacob

Was reading a great article on esox leaders the other day. The author was commenting on the irony of using "invisible" leaders on lures with 7/0 hooks dangling off of them :whistling:

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!