How to tie a canoe to a 2011 Kia Soul ?

splashhopper

One of the percs of my new job is a new car.

I will be receiving a 2011 Kia Soul any day.

2011KiaSoul.jpg

I went in to the dealer where we bought it from and asked how I was going to tie my 12 ft Sportspal canoe to the roof. ( Foam pads for the canoe are already bought)

There is a hook at the front, but NO BUMPER in the back ! :blink: :blink

The canoe is super light and I am thinking that as long as I secure the pull straps across the canoe from door to door and have another pull strap at the front that a decent bungee chord should suffice for the rear. There is only the plastis bumper back there with two plastic l-brackets holding that to "the body". :blush:

What a dilemna? lol

And as I type this, I realize that it will be even trickier with my 12 foot tinnie up there ( with cross bars to hold the boat off the rails of course).

Any thoughts ?

you can make brackets for the front and back that will attach to the frame and stick out to the end of the bumpers so you have something to

or you buy the roof rack poles and just tie it too the roof racks

you can make brackets for the front and back that will attach to the frame and stick out to the end of the bumpers so you have something to

or you buy the roof rack poles and just tie it too the roof racks

No frame... Uni-body

I don't trust tieing to the roof racks only.... it is mere glue that holds most of those down ;)

A good gust of wind from a passing transport truck and.... hey is that my canoe in the windshield of the guy behind me :w00t:

No frame... Uni-body

I don't trust tieing to the roof racks only.... it is mere glue that holds most of those down ;)

A good gust of wind from a passing transport truck and.... hey is that my canoe in the windshield of the guy behind me :w00t:

Take it back and tell them you want nothing less than a 1 Ton, front and rear tie downs. :clapping: That whole thing looks like it's probably glued together. :tease:

Seems to be a common problem with newer vehicles that come with plastic bumpers and fairings etc underneath the car. I saw a newer VW Golf drive by me the other day with a canoe strapped to it and they had the front tie downs going under the hood and the read tie downs going under the rear hatch...perhaps you could try that.

No frame... Uni-body

I would think there's 8 bolts holding those roof racks on. they hide them very well check the weight capacity in the owners manual if it has one they are bolted down if the are asthetic only there will be no weight cap in the manual and cross bars won't be availible if they are boltaed just tie it down to the racks and the front, won't budge.

I use the ratchet style straps ctc sells (My link) and secure my 16 foot, 54 lb canoe to my Santa Fe. Doesnt budge ( and yes, I did buy the cross bars). Did the same on a Ford Taurus, and Ford Ranger, with no roof racks, just the styro blocks too. Same result.

Not quite so pretty, but effective - same winch straps over the top of the canoe, under the roof racks between the door jambs and S hooks linked inside the vehicle. Crank it tight (not too tight, you might bend the car sarcasm.gif ) Canoe will break before those let go

If you are worried about the roof racks being pulled off then open the doors and run the ropes or straps under the roof through the doors. Straps would probably be a better choice as there is less thickness to worry about when closing the door. You can tie the ends of the canoe to the roof racks them selves instead of tied them to the bumpers.

Like Wallacio said, most outdoor outfitters sell this type of webbing or straps by the foot. You make a whole to affix to a screw under the hood and then burn the end so it doesn't slip off. Same for the back end under the hatch. The only problem I had is I had to replace the screws with slightly longer ones because of the added material of the straps.

Good luck

Mike

Seems to be a common problem with newer vehicles that come with plastic bumpers and fairings etc underneath the car. I saw a newer VW Golf drive by me the other day with a canoe strapped to it and they had the front tie downs going under the hood and the read tie downs going under the rear hatch...perhaps you could try that.

That's what I do with my golf. That an area just along the seem of the hood when it closes that you can tie a rope to. I actually leave my on all the time. When their not being used, they just hand down on the inside. The rear I attached to my trailor hitch, but before the hitch i just jimmy rigged it to some structure under the back.

No frame... Uni-body

Thank you. There are still folks around that think of others. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Harrison

I found an easy and secure system for tying my canoe down. Ratchet straps around the top...they do the bulk of the work. For the front, I popped the hood and found two solid areas I can tie to. I've left some rope with loops tied in there permanently....when I need them, I just pull them out, and hook onto the loops. A little bucket handle is useful, so the loop doesn't bind. I do the same thing for the back...i just tie the loop around the hook that my liftgate latches onto. Rope stays on there all year round, doesn't get dirty or in the way....and when I need to tie down, there's no crawling around on the ground.

Mind you...ever since I bought the trailer, I just tow the tinner around laugh.gif