Wife asked me a good question

mercman

The origin of term comes from old boating practices. Before boats had rudders on their centerline, boats were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a sailor located towards the stern (back) of the boat. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the boat. The word starboard is a corruption of steering board, which in turn came from the old Norse language word st�ri, in the language of the vikings.

Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the Portboard side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words portboard and starboard sounded too similar to be distingued under windy sailing conditions, portboard was shortened to port.

The starboad side of most naval vessels the world over is designated the 'senior' side. The officers' gangway or sea ladder is shipped on this side and this side of the quarterdeck is reserved for the captain. The flag or pennant of the ship's captain or senior officer in command is generally hoist on the starboard yard.

MODERN EXPLANATION

• According to the column "The Straight Dope," the steering wheel is on the right side of power boats for mechanical reasons. Boat propellers spin clockwise and the torque on the propeller caused the right side of older model boat hulls to rise out of the water. Boat designers placed the steering wheel on the right so that the weight of the boat's operator would keep the boat even in the water.

what are you saying

rofl2.gif

I don't always give a smart asshat.gif answer

Nothing at allwhistling.gif I just thought i had left myself out in the open for a moment.angel.png

I enjoy your answers Terry.Straight to the point...Bada bing Bada boomrofl2.gif

Told her i had no clue, and that you guys would be able to tell me.blush.gif

Paul was she as happy as my wife is when I tell her I have to check with OFC before I make some decisions that never goes well if its something she wants at the time and i want to wait and ask kinda like the Lap Top last week LOL.

Paul was she as happy as my wife is when I tell her I have to check with OFC before I make some decisions that never goes well if its something she wants at the time and i want to wait and ask kinda like the Lap Top last week LOL.

Your Honor, I refuse to answer that question. I do not want to incriminate myself.whistling.gifrofl2.gif