Boat plug

moemoe

Here's a question for everyone, and don't laugh, but which side do you put your boat plug in? Whether the flip top or the set screw style, do you put in on the outside-motor side- of the transom or do you put in from inside the boat? Just curious, as I had always put it in from the inside, that way it is easy to pull while your running down the lake to empty an water, but I have seen a lot of newer boats at the ramp that are pushed in from the outer side. For reference point, say it is a 17 ft aluminum boat

Outside.

Otherwise, as the boat displaces water pressure could pop your plug inwards if it was loose or too dry (shrunk).

I used to make it a practice of having one plugged in from the outside with a spare on the inside readily available. Use a bildge pump to rid yourself of the water onboard.

-Brian

I put mine in from the outside, I have it attached to a screw on the transom with a piece of steel leaders so it doesn`t get missplaced and I can see it hanging when I take the straps off. I pull it to allow any water to drain while I am tying the boat down. My livewell has a separate drain, I pull the plug on that when the fish come out.

I also have a bilge pump, water is only a problem for me if I am fishing in the rain, leave the boat in the water on vacations, or catch some waves wrong. I carry a spare plug for the boat and livewell.

Edited by OhioFisherman

I carry a spare and replace it every 2 or 3 years. I put it in the inside because it has never caused me any problems. You might want to avoid the T screw type they will get stiff to turn and feel tight when they really arn't. The other flip style also has a nut on the end of some that you can tighten if it is a little loose.

Art

Guest gbfisher

outside bud!...You have a bildge pump on your boat. Removing it to drain is easier when you have the boat out of the water. You will never have to remove it when running.

Mine came from the dealer on the inside and I thought it looked a little cleaner that way so I left it. Have not had any problems yet. I have a bow rider so it takes about 5 seconds to open the large screw type plastic cover and pop it in or out. I always carry a spare in the glove box. If putting it in from the outside make sure which hole it goes in. I know one guy who has put it in the drain for his livewell twice, boat fills up with water pretty fast when you make that mistake. (no it wasn't me, Thank god).

Edited by taper

Ive always had it in the inside. Like you said, so you can drain while the boat is running, say, if you have a leak or you were rained on. (Id rather lose the plug inside my boat than somewhere in the Great lakes) Give me a break about the water displacement theory. Especially at high speeds water/Pressure has a tendancy to drain from inside to outside) If you ask me, the plug being on the outside, and needing a leader so you don't loose the plug, must be the fashionable thing now I guess. Not a stupid question though. By the way, the 2 boats I bought that were second hand, also had the plugs inside. Obviously from the thread, not a stupid question.

I can't figure out why the plug would be put in from the outside? Can anyone explain this to me......I just don't get it........the pressure thing doesnt make much sense.....if your plug was that loose it would leak anyways. :dunno:

Mine is on the inside, and has been on every boat I've had/been in......that I noticed anyways. I like it on the inside for the same reason that has been mentioned......to drain the water while running. I keep my boat docked most of the summer, so rather than burn out my bilge.....I like to take her for a rip and get the water out. I'm lucky enough to live close enough to the marina I guess, so doing that is no problem. :canadian:

Sinker

Every boat I have had in the last 50+ years it's been on the inside. Never has given me a problem and if you have an open fishing boat with an easily accessible plug at the back and the boat has water in it you want to get rid of it fast, just start moving quickly take out the plug and you have a poor mans bilge pump...just make sure to put it back in before you slow down.

Guest gbfisher
I can't figure out why the plug would be put in from the outside? Can anyone explain this to me......I just don't get it........the pressure thing doesnt make much sense.....if your plug was that loose it would leak anyways. :dunno:

Mine is on the inside, and has been on every boat I've had/been in......that I noticed anyways. I like it on the inside for the same reason that has been mentioned......to drain the water while running. I keep my boat docked most of the summer, so rather than burn out my bilge.....I like to take her for a rip and get the water out. I'm lucky enough to live close enough to the marina I guess, so doing that is no problem. :canadian:

Sinker

Sinker... Although he didn't say it. The boat he is referring to is a Lund Mr.Pike. Has bilge pump. Getting to the drain plug is not easy(access hatch) :worthy: ...well....for less agile people...lol. Almost be like getting to the plug on my boat from the indside. :blink: The plug is on the outside so the boat can be easily drained when putting in and out. Not to say it can't be on the inside. :whistling:

My boat is in all year and has the plug on the outside.

A lot of it is access, mine has a splash guard on back, livewell pump in back, bilge pump in back, batteries in back, putting it in from the inside would be a pain. Much easier to rear load! Doesn`t make a difference as long as it stays in and doesn`t leak.

Guest Trophymuskie

Having big boats since 2000 or my last 3 I couldn't think of trying to reach the plug from the inside.

A small word of advice here, get a screw in plug from outside, as even if you place the flip plug towards the top you can hit some waves at high speed that will have it rotate and once it gets close to or just bellow the transom, it opens up and you're taking on water. This happenned to me twice and now I'll never use a flip type of plug.

Ahhhhhh.....I get it. :thumbsup_anim:

You guys with the fancy boats have to put it on the outside cause your nice rear casting deck is over the plug and you can't access it easily.........gotcha.

I just have a plain jane open aluminum. No probs getting at the plug.

Sinker

What? Are you serious? You mean there is a plug in the boat to install before backing it into the water? Hrumph. No wonder the boat was gone after we pushed it into the water and walked away. I though we had our backs turned too long, and someone took off with the boat. So it must have sunk! Ahhh, that makes more sense now, especially since nobody else was around except us. We interrogated each other to the point of exhaustion ... pointing fingers, waving our arms, and some biting was actually exhanged. At the end of the day we had nothing to say to Officer Racoon and Officer Chimpmunk.

Haven't had a chance to get your ex out yet. She's looking a little blue. I think she needs some water. The ice is starting to receed from the shores around the cottage. Can't wait Moe! What's this about a plug? :P