Giving up

limeyangler

irishfield, on 07 June 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

GOOD... don't leave Jack high and dry like my old man did to me when I was 24 ! Give that some thought and those cravings should go away...

That helps....I'm pretty pumped that i've even managed one day with the help of patches.

I always believed in tough love Simon!! :D

I always believed in tough love Simon!! :D

Me too wayne...if it was not for 'tough Love" when i was fighting with other addictions in my life i would have been dead long ago. Its a shame that the concept is out of favour in the climate of political correctness we live in today.

All of the gimmicks for quitting smoking put Nicotine into your body. So you become addicted to the patches etc. Champix on the other hand blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain. It is covered on most company insurance plans so there is no cost to you. You will experience wildly vivid dreams and nausea for the first 2 weeks but after that it is smooth sailing. You have to stay on them for 3 months in order for all of the nicotine to flush out of your body. It worked for me too and it’s been 3 ½ years of no smoking for me. No cravings to boot!! :thumbsup_anim:

Good on ya Simon. Well worth the effort, and your family will thank you for the rest of your life. The first week is the physical part - after that its all in the head - and if you beat the bottle this will be a breeze (of fresh air) - kicked a 2 pack a day habit.

Here is something to keep in mind...

If you've got a couple of days or more in without having a smoke, and you are tempted to have "just one"...that cigarette is going to taste like crap and you'll feel a little woozy after it. Basically, it's totally not worth it. Afterwards (trust me) you'll just be sitting there thinking, "What a waste. I ruined my streak and didn't even enjoy the cigarette."

Hang in there Simon. My wife and I quit 15 years ago when the doctor told her she need to quit or she'd be carrying and oxygen bottle in 10 years time. We used the patch and it definitely helped. Every time you get a craving, just think of Jack. If not for yourself, he's the best reason to quit.

Here is a little poem that seems to hit home with a lot of folks fighting addictions.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

There are two days in every week that we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone!

The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its impossible adversaries, its burden, its hopeful promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is beyond our control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. And until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something which happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!

Author Unknown

All of the gimmicks for quitting smoking put Nicotine into your body. So you become addicted to the patches etc. Champix on the other hand blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain. It is covered on most company insurance plans so there is no cost to you. You will experience wildly vivid dreams and nausea for the first 2 weeks but after that it is smooth sailing. You have to stay on them for 3 months in order for all of the nicotine to flush out of your body. It worked for me too and it’s been 3 ½ years of no smoking for me. No cravings to boot!! :thumbsup_anim:

Ok....i think its unfair to label those products as "gimmicks" as they have helped a lot of people quit. I am fully aware that i am not "nicotine free" at this point and am probably ingesting more nicotine daily than i might have done on some days when i was smoking. However, i chose this method after careful consideration. i know from beating other addictions in my life that reducing gradually works...FOR ME...

I like what i hear about Champix...but even Champix does not work for some people.

But as i've stated before...Champix sounds like a pretty good plan 'B' for me and i appreciate all the insight you share about your experience :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck Simon!! You can do this!

Thanks dood....i'm gonna give it 1000001%

I am on year 3 (I think) I don't even think about it anymore, first few months are tough. Think how much more fishing time you will have with Jack, that should get you through!

Will do Bubbles...thanks man.

Not only will i get more time fishing....i can afford it too!!!!

Good on ya Simon. Well worth the effort, and your family will thank you for the rest of your life. The first week is the physical part - after that its all in the head - and if you beat the bottle this will be a breeze (of fresh air) - kicked a 2 pack a day habit.

Awesome spincast....i'm in awe...and all these success stories harden my resolve to do this.

Thanks for your support.

Here is something to keep in mind...

If you've got a couple of days or more in without having a smoke, and you are tempted to have "just one"...that cigarette is going to taste like crap and you'll feel a little woozy after it. Basically, it's totally not worth it. Afterwards (trust me) you'll just be sitting there thinking, "What a waste. I ruined my streak and didn't even enjoy the cigarette."

Thats exactly what i think. No way i'm gonna have just one,,,i know where it leads. I know how my addicted thought patterns work too...if i justify one i can justify more.

Here is a great website http://whyquit.com/. Best of luck,exercise and behavior modification will help.Been 7 or 8 years for me.

Joe

Thanks man....i'll check it out....jeeeze...i'm sweating already just thinking about exercise.

But her we are again...another success story....congrats daplumma...good job :thumbsup_anim:

Hang in there Simon. My wife and I quit 15 years ago when the doctor told her she need to quit or she'd be carrying and oxygen bottle in 10 years time. We used the patch and it definitely helped. Every time you get a craving, just think of Jack. If not for yourself, he's the best reason to quit.

Where the hell ya been buddy? have you been out for Bass yet?

Anyway thanks for the encouragement Gord, it will be a pleasure not to have to step outside of your Frabill this winter :thumbsup_anim: or poison you in mine!

The Crappie should be in in Mile and trap...i aint got out as much this year...fancy a trip out soon?

Once again...thanks for your support.

Here is a little poem that seems to hit home with a lot of folks fighting addictions.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

There are two days in every week that we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone!

The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its impossible adversaries, its burden, its hopeful promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is beyond our control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. And until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something which happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!

Author Unknown

:thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for taking the time to post that Harrison....this is helpful to everyone...not just the :thumbsup_anim: hopelessly addicted

Just a few thoughts Limey, no idea if this helps or hurts, I guess it depends on how you view it?

Nicotine is not nearly as addictive as many people believe, and in fact, it can be a useful chemical at times. Using chemicals and smoke as a delivery method however is very harmful to ones health. For this reason, nicotine patches can be a great idea to help you quit "smoking tobacco".

The "Act" of smoking is probably more addictive than the actually nicotine, thus referred to often as a habit, not a drug dependancy. a good example is to think "what would I do for a cig right now? Would you steal from your wife/child/mother". I sincerely hope the answer is no, and as long as it is, shows a difference between nicotine and other chemically mind altering compounds.

The "Act" of smoking is similar to alcohol in a way. It's a risk/reward type of compound, and this aspect of the drug in question is fairly easy to break. But it will be the toughest part of this "habit" to kick.

Simply reward yourself in other ways, and develope new, healthy "habits", just like you probably unintentionally did after quitting alcohol use.

Anyhow, lol enough blabbering :good:

Guest gbfisher

Addiction sucks. Having an addictive personality sucks even more.

Good luck with that...Have ya started yet? :worthy::tease:

I love all the non addict comments...They should have a seat at a meeting sometime.... :D

Edited by gbfisher

Addiction sucks. Having an addictive personality sucks even more.

Good luck with that...Have ya started yet? :worthy::tease:

I love all the non addict comments...They should have a seat at a meeting sometime.... :D

lol, these "meetings" sound interesting.

My point, from an addictive standpoint, the drug nicotine is fairly weak.

Whether you quit or not, will depend on your mind frame and the decisions you make.

Want to quit, quit. Will it be tough, maybe? It's different for everyone.

But honestly, just don't question your resolve, stick by it. You'll be just fine :clapping:

Edited by manitoubass2

If all else fails this should help you quit:

Q - What's the worst thing about getting a lung transplant?

A - Every time you cough you get a mouthful of someone else's phlegm.

ohmy.gifblink.gif

I think you just helped 4 or 5 people quit with that one joke.

haha good one, but gross.

I quit a couple years ago, though I'm still only in my late twenties. What worked for me was reminding myself how bad the smell of old stale cigarette smoke was on a few people I had passed while walking down the street one day. The thought of never wanting to smell like that is what kept my motivation up. I feel you have to go cold turkey and be away somewhere that smokes are not available. If you can manage a few days without any, you will find that it is really easy to CHOOSE not to buy more. It takes some dedication, but if you are quitting for yourself and not for someone else, you will kick the habit.

I wish you the best, and as other members have said, imagine how much fishing stuff you can buy with that cash!!! :D :D

Thanks again for the replies, its not as hard as i anticipated and am going on day 4 now. First day out in the boat today since quitting, should be interesting...lol.....but even if my cravings are bad...i dont have smokes with me or anyone who smokes in the boat so relapse wont be an issue....and i love fishing more than smoking so i'm sure it wont suck too much!

Thanks again for the replies, its not as hard as i anticipated and am going on day 4 now. First day out in the boat today since quitting, should be interesting...lol.....but even if my cravings are bad...i dont have smokes with me or anyone who smokes in the boat so relapse wont be an issue....and i love fishing more than smoking so i'm sure it wont suck too much!

woot woot!

Thatta boy, have a great day on the water Simon!!!

Gourmet jelly BEANS...pop one if a craving hits or a glass of water...Jack will be happy if you share with him...best of luck Mate!

Good thinking ...love jelly beans.....wonder what the blueberry ones will taste like with pike slime on 'em!

Good Luck Buddy!!! we've got your back! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Ryan.....it really does feel like you guys have got my back...the support has been amazing!