Another outboard

Bernie

As many of you already know, two outboards were worked on this year.

The first one is on display but the second was destined to be put on my old cedar.

Well the finishing details were finally completed this morning with the application of the decals and a couple other pieces.

Had to shave the transom a little to get it to fit on. The older engines don't open up as wide.

P1030888.jpg

Fired it up and went for a spin. Whoo Hoo! Works great, zips right along.

P1030876.jpg

P1030879.jpg

A thank you goes out to Wayne for the heads up he gave me on an auction last summer. :good:

That is beautiful!! A real piece of art, Bernie. I remember my jaw hitting the desk when I saw the one you did that's now on display. You can't even put a price on those things. Congrats to you!

Really great to see you giving those old gems a 2nd life Bernie and seeing them on the cedarstrips sure brings back some fond memories.

It does for me as well Lew. ;):D

Walter Bowen would be estatic to see his pride and joy in such great hands Bernie! You did a marvelous job bringing her back on line.

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him I think of him when I work on it.

He had his name written on the inside of the hood. I left it there.

New points, coils, fuel lines, water pump and carb kit. Runs as smooth as new.

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him I think of him when I work on it.

He had his name written on the inside of the hood. I left it there.

New points, coils, fuel lines, water pump and carb kit. Runs as smooth as new.

A nice touch Bernie and if you don't mind I'm gonna share these pictures and thoughts with Walter's wife Margaret. I think it will bring a smile to her face, seeing how someone cares for these old gems like her dearly departed husband did.

Bernie, what can i say......Just beautifulclapping.gif Looks exactly like the boat and motor Dad used to take us boys fishing in when i was just a wee lad.Thanks for bringing back the nostalgia.

Paul

Always had a cedar around Paul. That particular boat was made in 1949. My grandfather died in 1950.

So he had a hand in making that one. Makes it extra special.

I fixed it up a couple winters ago.

Beauty job----evidence of true appreciation

Thank you Bushart.

Your art is also to be appreciated, you do very good work.

Truly a thing of beauty Bernie.

The original designer deserves the credit for them John. All I did was paint it! :canadian:

Bernie is that one of the cedar strips from your boat shop? The whole project looks excellent but I would expect nothing less from you.

Art

Yes it is.

It is an early version of the "Powassan Special". A narrow body 16 ft. It's light enough to pull up on shore single handed and roll over to clean if necessary. I'd prefer the "Nipissing" model such as the ones at Lakair as they are more stable but this is a fun one to drive.

It was in fair shape when I got her but the cedar was badly discolored, beyond sanding the stains out.

So I painted it the same colors as the old cottage. Just happens to match the colors on the 1958 Johnson.

It was in fair shape when I got her but the cedar was badly discolored, beyond sanding the stains out.

So I painted it the same colors as the old cottage. Just happens to match the colors on the 1958 Johnson.

It's really quite amazing how it all came together. Once again, great job Bernie. :thumbsup_anim:

Nothing less than outstanding Bernie, you have true talent and a great eye for detail. Well done indeed!

Oh and leaving Walter's name on the inside of the cowling, very classy. thumbsup_anim.gif

This is quite a compliment coming from a man that makes an exquisite fishing rod.

Thank you Chris.

It's really quite amazing how it all came together. Once again, great job Bernie. :thumbsup_anim:

It's a great winter project to do these Will.

I have several to choose from for next winter.

That really is magnificent, Bernie. Thanks for sharing those photos! Gorgeous rig!

Thank you Craig.

It was an idea a couple years in the making.

Takes a while to put all the plans in place.

I have a line on another one identical to this. Thinking about putting the pair on maybe a new one.

Very preliminary plan at this point.