what is a good speed for a tinner

skinny

Ok I have a 16 ft star craft tinner with a old 40hp evinrude on the back. Yesterday while out Vin looked at his GPS and with 2 in the boat and lots of gear it was out in the plane at over 20MPH it runs great and I love the feel I just wonder if I could get more out of it.

how do they determin how big of a motor should be on the back of a boat my boat is rated for 40hp. I might know where a newer 65 is (needs some work)

I would think you should be getting at least 25 mph....but how OLD is that old motor...

Many other factors play into top speed...does the boat have a windshield as that will rob you of 2-4 mph....width and depth....deep "V" to semi-deep "V" bottom...

Just to give you a comparison....my old 1985 50hp Johnson gets my 16'-4" VERY DEEP (39') Grumman (side console windshield) that has a 84" beam 30-31mph with all my gear (lots) and two full grown guys aboard....now when the motor was newer I could always top out at 34mph...but no longer.

Bottom line...you may have the wrong prop or that OLD motor is worn down... :dunno:

Good Fishing,

Bob

Depends how heavy the boat is. If it is a basic aluminum boat - that is slow for that motor. If it has lots of decking, livewell... then it is a tad bit slow but close.

You could get 30mph if the boat is light and basic with a new 40 hp - but I bet you would only get around 25 mph and slightly higher.

Does it really matter. If the motor starts well and runs well, then don't change a thing IMO.

BTW - if you need a trolling motor - my friend has a practically new one for $450 (minn kota bow mount, 55 lb thrust, 12v).

I get nothing out of the sale - the motor has been used 6 times at the very most!!!!!

That '66 is a polution machine! Scrap it and get a new Yamaha 4-stroke!

hey I will gladly kick it off the back of the boat if you would buy me a new one not everyone has the money to buy new

From what i have seen a newer 40hp would put you over 30mph.

You have a good eye. My new Princecraft Starfish with Merc 40HP gets me and the wife and gear, doing 32 mph on GPS,and we aint no teeny people eitherwhistling.gif

hey I will gladly kick it off the back of the boat if you would buy me a new one not everyone has the money to buy new

There are low emmission oils that would at least help with the old girl putting out the smoke. That's impressive though its still running!

Depends how heavy the boat is. If it is a basic aluminum boat - that is slow for that motor. If it has lots of decking, livewell... then it is a tad bit slow but close.

You could get 30mph if the boat is light and basic with a new 40 hp - but I bet you would only get around 25 mph and slightly higher.

Does it really matter. If the motor starts well and runs well, then don't change a thing IMO.

BTW - if you need a trolling motor - my friend has a practically new one for $450 (minn kota bow mount, 55 lb thrust, 12v).

I get nothing out of the sale - the motor has been used 6 times at the very most!!!!!

What length is the shaft?

You have a good eye. My new Princecraft Starfish with Merc 40HP gets me and the wife and gear, doing 32 mph on GPS,and we aint no teeny people eitherwhistling.gif

So there you go Skinny, your tinner runs fine and gets up to speed without any hesitation. And it trolls nicely and steady at the target speed I was looking forwhistling.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Why mess up a good thing.

If your looking for more speed, then a prop change up would be ideal. But then again you would be up a little in the trolling speed.

Leave it as it is, its not a race boattongue.gif

My boat with gear and two people, 40 mph. But I only want 30mph for the engines sake.

14.5' aluminum with a floor and casting deck, no livewell with a 96 40hp evinrude and I get 29mph. I thought mine was slow, as I'm getting dusted by people in a 25hp. Im guessing its my prop. I will say it is very torqey though.

I have a 2001 14' Tracker Super Guide , loaded with the floor and livewell ,trolling motor etc...

I run a 1998 Evinrude 30hp with a 13* prop and do 31MPH all by myself

I weigh 260LBS ..and 26MPH with 2 guys and gear...

Gull2009117.jpg

It's an old motor. Don't run it at WOT too much, you don't want to blow it up. If it runs decently, leave it be. You want much more speed, you need to get a new motor and that will cost you mucho dinero. As mentioned above, run some of the new synthetic oil through it to cut down on the pollution and enjoy the boat. Another thing to remember is that your hp rating is at the crank, the new motors are rated at the prop so comparing apples to apples, the new motors are more powerful.