Aluminum boats vs fiberglass

ricdorais

I had a 17 footer in the late 80's and the hull split in two places towards the bow. They looked at it and said they would not cover it under their warranty even though the boat was only two years old. They told me to put it through my insurance because it would cost 8 grand to fix. So I did and my insurance company wrote it off.

I sent a letter to the president of the company at the time and told him I would give them all the free negative advertising they ever wanted and to this day I still do. Maybe things have changed but I have never forgotten how they looked after me. I highly recommend you buy another brand.

My Princecraft is very stable and does not leak a drop. Rivets are all tight.

I'm with you on this one Roy.Its like any brand, you may get a lemon, but that is not the norm.I've been around Princecrafts for many many years and never seen one leak that was taken care of.

Edited by mercman

I'm with you on this one Roy.Its like any brand, you may get a lemon, but that is not the norm.I've been around Princecrafts or Springboks for many many years and never seen one leak that was taken care of.

I think you statement needs an edit.

I have a 16 foot Holiday. Its a nice, wide stable boat, but it cuts waves like a piece of plywood and catches wind like a kite. Two disadvantages that REALLY kill a Walleye fisherman. My next boat will be a used Ranger 18 foot tiller or an Alumacraft, something built to handle choppy water and higher winds. :thumbsup_anim:

Hubba Bubba or Bubblicious?

The other day I was chewing some hubba bubba and I got to thinking. It got stale pretty fast and stuck to my teeth. Then I remembered bubblicious. Wow what a great gum. I love the way the flavor stayed and it was great for blowing bubbles.

I like aluminum. I had a fibreglass bow-rider and now have a STARCRAFT fishing boat. I love it.

My Princecraft almost flipped over and sank to the bottom of the lake!

Oh wait a sec ... that was the time when the drift bag deployed in the water at almost full throttle while fastened to the front tow hook ... never mind.

Oh yeah, btw ... the drift sock thing. Know where it is!

... seriously

<sigh>

If I was a fair weather fisherman and fished areas I knew.I might go glass,

For their is no rivets,But I know prefer a dent over a crack or puncture.

Plus My PRO-V is one of the greatest riding boats I've been in.

I have a Nitro Savage bass boat now Roy. I bought it new in 1996. It has been a great boat for me and has never given me any problems what so ever. Its powered by a 175 EFI merc and its still running strong. I spent a year working up in the Kenora, Dryden area back in the late 80's and the majority of the boats used up there then were Lund or Misty River. Thats what I wanted to buy originally but there were no dealers for either here in the valley so I settled for a Princecraft instead. That was a big mistake.

Aluminum boats have there place. There alright for the 1 day a week calm water trips, Give them the Great lakes test 5,6,7 days a week, 8, 10 hour days, then tell me if you don't have leaks. If I had to do it over again, I would go with Harborcraft or Stanley, cost more, but are life time boats. Just ask yourself if you see big cruiser boats in aluminum. Most charter boats that fish the great lakes are glass. I had the head guy from Princecraft look at my boat and he told me my problem was wave action. I was in a company in Bradford that repaired aluminum boats, he had every make there getting fixed. A buddy of mine only had his boat 2 years and the bow folded up from waves on Lake O. If it gets rough, trolling speed only back to port.

100% in agreement. You have to choose a boat that fits your needs.Its like using a lite pick up for heavy construction work.The lite truck will fall apart.If fishing the inland seas, you need a heavy duty "Truck"

Smashing any boat through any sized waves likely isn't going to do your hull favours in the long run. Surprised the old man hasn't chimed in here, but hes had his 16' princecraft for 15 years now and its spent most of its life rigging on georgian bay in sometimes less than calm conditions and i still don't think it leaks a drop... He also keeps the speed down when it gets bumpy out there unless I'm in the front seat egging him on.... :devil: LOL

Smashing any boat through any sized waves likely isn't going to do your hull favours in the long run. Surprised the old man hasn't chimed in here, but hes had his 16' princecraft for 15 years now and its spent most of its life rigging on georgian bay in sometimes less than calm conditions and i still don't think it leaks a drop... He also keeps the speed down when it gets bumpy out there unless I'm in the front seat egging him on.... :devil: LOL

Agreed, we're not fishing an FLW Lake Erie walleye tourny in a 22 foot Ranger, no need to be zipping along at 25mph in 2-3 footers. Slow down!

My STARCRAFT aluminum doesn't leak a drop. Its only 15 years old, and is in the water from late april till december every year. I fish lake O from june-sept every chance I get.

My buddy that I fish with alot has an '04 princecraft that leaks.

Princecraft is a decent boat, but not my first choice.

S.

I agree with what is being said here concerning driving to suit weatherr conditions, however I disagree with what I erxpect out of an expensive boat. Princecrafts are not to be found in the bargain basement a new boat similar to mine is going to cost in the 30K plus range. For this kind of money I expect to be able to be on any mid size inland lake in a 1 foot chop and be able to ride along without being jostled and thrown all over. The boat is deep and is cvonstructed with the much advertised "double chine". I'm not a speed fanatic and drive according to lake conditions etc.

I have not been impressed with Princecrafts customer service. For my money I will not be buying another princecraft based on my current experience.

My STARCRAFT aluminum doesn't leak a drop. Its only 15 years old, and is in the water from late april till december every year. I fish lake O from june-sept every chance I get.

My buddy that I fish with alot has an '04 princecraft that leaks.

Princecraft is a decent boat, but not my first choice.

S.

Aluminum boats have there place. There alright for the 1 day a week calm water trips, Give them the Great lakes test 5,6,7 days a week, 8, 10 hour days, then tell me if you don't have leaks. If I had to do it over again, I would go with Harborcraft or Stanley, cost more, but are life time boats. Just ask yourself if you see big cruiser boats in aluminum. Most charter boats that fish the great lakes are glass. I had the head guy from Princecraft look at my boat and he told me my problem was wave action. I was in a company in Bradford that repaired aluminum boats, he had every make there getting fixed. A buddy of mine only had his boat 2 years and the bow folded up from waves on Lake O. If it gets rough, trolling speed only back to port.

Out on the West coast you will find an abundance of aluminum boats.

And HarberCraft/KingFisheris the right up there, though there are lots of other aluminum offshore boats and skiffs to be seen.

Wooldrige is another big West coast name.

I run a 28ft x 11ft Aluminum boat made by Marinette with twin 318 and 480 HP. I have run it hard in bad water when needed with no ill effects. Mind you it is all welded 1/4" plate aluminum with a strong structural design. Different boats are needed for different conditions their is no right or wrong answer on what boat is better until you define the area it is used in.

Art

Most charter boats that fish the great lakes are glass.

Perhaps, but I still see a lot of Starcraft Islanders out on the lakes.

Harbercraft makes a very nice alumium boat that is widely used on the west coast for fishing charters. Same for Weldcraft - I recently test-drove a couple of their Cuddy King models, and they're very nice boats. I just posted a boat test I did on a 24-foot Weldcraft on my blog, for what it's worth. I drove a 24-footer and a 28. Both were awesome, even when we headed out into the open ocean and 15-foot swells.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie