Anyone Own A Bush Lot With A Lot Of Cedars? (NF)

It boggles my mind how some people always feel the need to express their opinion especially when it's pointless.

You need to remember this is a public forum and the best and worst thing about that is input can come from any one of the registered members. On the one hand you could have been lucky and someone could have posted who had 1000 acres of cedar filled land just around the corner from your house, on the other hand... :blahblah1:

I’m really sorry Mike I didn’t mean to insult you in any way; it was meant as a heads up if you were to get pulled over and checked. I don’t even know if it would be an issue? It’s just that I do maintenance repairs to a number of the CFIA’s fleet vehicles and we (an inspector and myself) got talking about how they were going to step up enforcement on transporting wood & trees too and from restricted areas.

Believe me I have to much respect for you; to throw any crap your way. I still remember you trying to help organize a trip up to Eddy’s camp for my brother that has cancer; you went out of your way. We haven’t given up hope on going; but we also haven’t been given the green like by the doctor.

Sorry again Mike.

Dan.

Solo, there is a lot of concern recently about transporting plant material, the bulk of the concern centres around the Emerald Ash Borer. the main culprit in the transport of this invasive and deadly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

species is firewood and hardwood pallettes from diseased stock. There are some bans on bringing your own firewood in Prov. Parks I believe. I would think you can bring some cedars south with a clear conscience, goin north with stock could conceiveably cause some concern. Forestry Grad Class of 74, UofT.

Edited by dave524

Their is absolutely no way no how I'd be transporting invasive species from wild trees from a bush lot up north. Of course their is a remote possibility. There's also a remote possibility that I'll win the lottery and get struck by lightning.

What makes you think nursery stock is "safer" than wild stock from the bush?

Mike, I live in a restricted area (Vaughan) but I'm across where it ends. Every year they give away mulch which they make. I went early to avoid the lineups first in line yippeeee "how many bags sir" 5 please and where do you live across the street . . . no can do, can't transport out of the area :wallbash: :wallbash:

I go on my way come back three hours later and everyone in my area has fresh mulch around their trees – so the rules went out the window when it got busy. So much for protecting the environment! And probably didn't want to load it back into the trucks.

I dunno, but after reading all this I feel kinda guilty using cedars to build duck blinds......ok, I am over it.

Phil, Im :rofl2: .

Sorry Mike, my contact didnt work out for ya bud.Didnt know he had a waiting list. :wallbash:

Solo, You might check out http://www.hrichardsonfarms.com/productlist.php for plantings. Prices are alright. Order and pick them up or delivery.

EASTERN WHITE CEDAR (Thuja occidentalis) Zones 3-7 Medium sized tree. Common hedge and ornamental tree. Excellent windbreak. Very hardy and very long lived. per 100 trees of different sizes

2-0 Seedlings 4"-8"(10-20cm) $55.00

3-0 Seedlings 8"-12" (10-25cm) $60.00

2-1yr Transplants 5"-10" (12-25cm) $120.00

2-2yr Transplants 12"-24"(30-60cm) $150.00

Lots of other trees to ponder too.

I’m really sorry Mike I didn’t mean to insult you in any way; it was meant as a heads up if you were to get pulled over and checked. I don’t even know if it would be an issue? It’s just that I do maintenance repairs to a number of the CFIA’s fleet vehicles and we (an inspector and myself) got talking about how they were going to step up enforcement on transporting wood & trees too and from restricted areas.

Believe me I have to much respect for you; to throw any crap your way. I still remember you trying to help organize a trip up to Eddy’s camp for my brother that has cancer; you went out of your way. We haven’t given up hope on going; but we also haven’t been given the green like by the doctor.

Sorry again Mike.

Dan.

It wasn't really you Dan, and I'm sorry if you thought it was directed at you.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread.

If your brother and you ever do want to go drop me a line and I'll set something up.

Take care

I never read alll the pages so I don't know where this is at but, next time you come to the Sault, I have a couple hundred acres of cedar swamp on St Joes Island...come and yank all you want

Hey Solo I checked Craigslist.

You may want to check this guy out.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/grd/2363138846.html

They look a bit small but maybe they'll do.

Thanks for posting the link.

I never read alll the pages so I don't know where this is at but, next time you come to the Sault, I have a couple hundred acres of cedar swamp on St Joes Island...come and yank all you want

Truly appreciate the offer, thanks.

It wasn't really you Dan, and I'm sorry if you thought it was directed at you.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread.

If your brother and you ever do want to go drop me a line and I'll set something up.

Take care

NO...I'm pretty sure it was me that you were targeting and trying to degrade, berate and LAUGH at all the while I was only trying to point out the new environmental laws/CONCERNS we are all facing now...but instead you went postal on ME and then became a self proclaimed expert on the issue all while asking us other none experts for help....SORRY I tried to HELP you and anyone else here that got offended by raising the legal and or environmental possibilities that transporting and transplanting can cause.

Bob