Anyone Own A Bush Lot With A Lot Of Cedars? (NF)

I'll pass on the poplar bud.

If you have any Acer palmatum, Tsuga canadensis, Pieris japonica or Chamaecyparis pisifera I'm all ears.

:)

I don't, but I know where to get 'em. Want me to call for pricing? Let me know size and quantity. Don't forget I am part of the clod hopper mafia....

Edited by HTHM

Mike,

I deal with a guy from the Beaverton area and just had my 3rd cedar hedge hedge planted by Vince. On his price list he sells 3' to 4' cedars for $6 delivered and $7 planted. I live in Newmarket so he might charge more for your area, but given the number you need, it might be worth a call. His name is Vince and is number is 705-426-1867. Tell him that you spoke to Warren because he was just at my house today planting a 9' hedge.

Mike,

I deal with a guy from the Beaverton area and just had my 3rd cedar hedge hedge planted by Vince. On his price list he sells 3' to 4' cedars for $6 delivered and $7 planted. I live in Newmarket so he might charge more for your area, but given the number you need, it might be worth a call. His name is Vince and is number is 705-426-1867. Tell him that you spoke to Warren because he was just at my house today planting a 9' hedge.

Thanks bud. I can get them locally for less than that. I'm trying to avoid having to sell another float reel here LOL!

Since I know how friendly UPS is I will get shipped out ASAP... :lol:

If we have time after the snipe hunt can we go cow tipping???

Art

Sounds like a plan. How much do you usually tip a cow in your neck of the woods?

Up here it's usually 20% if they give up the good milk.

It kind of depends on how steep the hill is and whether it is uphill or down. I found the 2 handed over the shoulder push is the best if they are under 1000 lbs. If they are over that then it is best to double team them going to the downhill side.

Art

If you have any Acer palmatum, Tsuga canadensis, Pieris japonica or Chamaecyparis pisifera I'm all ears.

Then you're a Zea Mays. :)

Edited by Harrison

Hey Mike I’m not trying to tell you what to do but before you begin transporting trees from one area to another you might want to check with the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency).

That’s just to make sure there are not restrictions on the transport of wild (non nursery grown) trees from whatever area you find them into your area.

Don’t ask me why the CFIA is the organization that’s looking after the invasive insect problem (emerald ash bore, asian long-horned beetle along with other insects) but they are the ones setting up the restrictions and in-charge of enforcement; I guess the fines are pretty heavy.

Maybe there’s nothing to this and just a thought on my part; but it wouldn’t hurt to check?

Cheap trees plus big fine maybe isn’t so cheap?

Dan.

Don't ask me why the CFIA is the organization that's looking after the invasive insect problem (emerald ash bore, asian long-horned beetle along with other insects) but they are the ones setting up the restrictions and in-charge of enforcement

Dan.

Maybe it's their turn to have the government microscope. :D

Sorry.

Hey Mike I’m not trying to tell you what to do but before you begin transporting trees from one area to another you might want to check with the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency).

That’s just to make sure there are not restrictions on the transport of wild (non nursery grown) trees from whatever area you find them into your area.

Don’t ask me why the CFIA is the organization that’s looking after the invasive insect problem (emerald ash bore, asian long-horned beetle along with other insects) but they are the ones setting up the restrictions and in-charge of enforcement; I guess the fines are pretty heavy.

Maybe there’s nothing to this and just a thought on my part; but it wouldn’t hurt to check?

Cheap trees plus big fine maybe isn’t so cheap?

Dan.

Err....popcorn.gif

What Dan said. I did a bit of research earlier, and there are other cedar based diseases that have been decimating wild and nursery grown cedars throughout canada, not to mention diseases that affect other species that can be transported in the soil around the roots.

I am sure however, that your expertise in this field means that you have done or will do the proper research on the areas where the trees will be reomovedthumbsup_anim.gif

Okay I'm going to reply to this.

It boggles my mind how some people always feel the need to express their opinion especially when it's pointless.

Their is absolutely no way no how I'd be transporting invasive species from wild trees from a bush lot up north. Of course their is a remote possibility. There's also a remote possibility that I'll win the lottery and get struck by lightning.

What makes you think nursery stock is "safer" than wild stock from the bush?

If anything nursery stock is exposed to more possible invasive species.

Do you guys realize that half our nurseries sell stock that's not even grown here?

It's coming from warmer climates south of the border.

I'll gladly take the "chance" that my wild stock will be safe. :rolleyes:

And why exactly would I want to contact some half baked government agency for their permission? Seriously.

Come tax time next year I think I'll contact the IRS so they can scrutinize me more closely. Heaven forbid I do anything that might be construed as illegal.

I've said it before. If some of you guys have nothing worthwhile to add you should keep your opinion opinion to yourself and think twice before you click the reply button.

(Note: I just finished spreading 6 yards of topsoil. Sod is being delivered tomorrow morning. My dog just chewed up my hose so I have nothing to water with. I'm tired, I'm hot and I'm in a foul mood. :angry: )

:)

Sorry to hear that Mike. I guess the microscope comment was not very useful eh?

Your hedge will all be in and growing nicely soon.....I think folks were just trying to be helpful. Ignore the help you don't need.

ps. Where did your pooch learn to chew on hoses?

Your hedge will all be in and growing nicely soon.....I think folks were just trying to be helpful. Ignore the help you don't need.

HA!

She's been in the backyard all day while I've been working in the front.

Just went back to grab the hose 'cause I want to spray some nematodes before the sod is layed.

What can I say? She got bored and chewed my hose up. :)

Off to Home Depot now....

I dunno, but after reading all this I feel kinda guilty using cedars to build duck blinds......ok, I am over it.

I hope you contacted the Provincial Ministry of Duck Blind Assembly for a permit and that it is up to code. unsure.gif

Wouldn't want you to get charged under Statute 3.0.1.6B which pertains to unlawful construction of a waterfowl hide on public or private land and waterways. rolleyes.gif