Anyone Own A Bush Lot With A Lot Of Cedars? (NF)

This is a real long shot on my part, but does anyone own land that's swampy with a lot of cedars?

I'm looking to rip a couple hundred small ones (3-4') out bare root to plant a hedge.

I did it at our old place and had a great hedge in about 4 years..

My source back then is no longer with us now unfortunately.

Can maybe offer up something interesting in trade. (Guiding services perhaps? :) ).

Thanks guys

Edited by solopaddler

Distance is no object!

This is a man who regularly drives to northern Quebec. So ya, i would agree. :thumbsup_anim:

Have you considered rooting large cuttings Mike? I have some stimroot kicking around somewhere.

This is a man who regularly drives to northern Quebec. So ya, i would agree. :thumbsup_anim:

Have you considered rooting large cuttings Mike? I have some stimroot kicking around somewhere.

Thanks Albert but that method won't cut it. (pun intended :) )

I have a number of large cedars around my yard. Near as I can tell mosquitoes love to pass the day light hours in them.... blink.gif

I've heard people say that, but it's never really been a problem for me.

We had cedar hedges at both of our previous places in Dundas and Grimsby.

I'd rather look at a wall of green than my neighbours backyard. ;)

Not to be a fly in the ointment but is this environmentally safe...taking a species from flooded areas and transporting them great distances, thus possibly introducing unknown species that may not be wanted into a new area to spread... :dunno:

Not to be a fly in the ointment but is this environmentally safe...taking a species from flooded areas and transporting them great distances, thus possibly introducing unknown species that may not be wanted into a new area to spread... :dunno:

:lol:

The ones here that I talk about are not swampy. Thier just swapy. :rofl2:

O.K. don't heed the warning but when those cedars escape and start to reproduce all over the neighborhood and squeeze out the azalea bushes I am going to print this out and you will owe Bob an apology. :whistling:

Art

LOL..... :rofl2:

Let me please clarify my above post...

I was not referring to the cedars but rather other species that could be transported with those cedars and thus become a problem like many invasive species are, especially if taken from a flooded area.

O.K. don't heed the warning but when those cedars escape and start to reproduce all over the neighborhood and squeeze out the azalea bushes I am going to print this out and you will owe Bob an apology. :whistling:

Art

Although being possibly the most common native tree in southern ON, they're an unfathomably deadly bio-hazzard.

I'm well aware of the risks involved.

:rofl2:

Edited by solopaddler

LOL..... :rofl2:

Let me please clarify my above post...

I was not referring to the cedars but rather other species that could be transported with those cedars and thus become a problem like many invasive species are, especially if taken from a flooded area.

Yep. Everyone knows that native cedars play host to all manner of vile and dangerous invasive species.

Yep. Everyone knows that native cedars play host to all manner of vile and dangerous invasive species.

Sorry.....didn't know you were an expert on all these plant species that could be in seed form during your transporting and replanting exercise.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/main.shtml

BTW this is not a complete list...

But you will save a couple dollars.... :whistling:

Mike, Mike, Mike..... Look it up! There is such a thing as swamp cedar tick. They're hell I tell ya! They'll keep you and your family up nights cause everyone knows a cedar tick talks.

Sorry.....didn't know you were an expert on all these plant species that could be in seed form during your transporting and replanting exercise.

As a matter of fact my background is in horticulture and forestry.

I've worked for the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, run a garden center and for a while owned my own landscape business.

;)

Mike, Mike, Mike..... Look it up! There is such a thing as swamp cedar tick. They're hell I tell ya! They'll keep you and your family up nights cause everyone knows a cedar tick talks.

I had to read that twice before I got it.

:lol:

As a matter of fact my background is in horticulture and forestry.

I've worked for the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, run a garden center and for a while owned my own landscape business.

Then you should know better then try to save a couple of dollars....as even the the most experienced would have trouble recognizing thousands of invasive specie seeds that they have never seen before.

Then you should know better then try to save a couple of dollars....as even the the most experienced would have trouble recognizing thousands of invasive specie seeds that they have never seen before.

You were funny at first, now you're just tiresome.

First off you're way off base here.

There is zero chance that what you're suggesting would be an issue.

Second I'm not made of money. We're not talking about "a couple of dollars" here. Try a minimum of $600 probably more.

Sometimes people really need to keep their opinions to themselves. :rolleyes:

Hey Mike, I have a whole bunch of Populus tremuloides or even Populus tremula that you can have for the digging.....Plant 'em tight enough and in 5 years you'll have a solid wood fence. :lol:

Hey Mike, I have a whole bunch of Populus tremuloides or even Populus tremula that you can have for the digging.....Plant 'em tight enough and in 5 years you'll have a solid wood fence. :lol:

I'll pass on the poplar bud.

If you have any Acer palmatum, Tsuga canadensis, Pieris japonica or Chamaecyparis pisifera I'm all ears.

:)