Conservative Majority

Fighter jets don't help me either, well not directly, but with the opening of the far north and many foreign powers disputing Canada's ownership of that area, fighter jets patrolling will give them the impression that we are indeed serious about our north and it vast resource base.

HH

Lots of opinions in this thread - I don't share some of them but I respect them all, and it's good to see people can share their opinions fairly respectfully, without it going down the tubes.

At least here in Canada we can be thankful we don't have Sarah Palin.

Now having said that ..... she looks a lot better in tight jeans than Jack Layton does.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

vast resource base.

HH

i hear you HH. the far north has become a major consideration. and russia is no pushover.

but when you say vast resource base, why did i think of this?

molson_canadian_bottle_landscape.jpg

Historically, the left has had a spend first ask questions later approach, IMHO, with the right at least seemingly being more "conservative" (for lack of a better term) in it's spending habits.

You have your eyes closed the past few years?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/economics/ChartImg.axd?i=chart_fb0ed703659244c1956e7e87e7af3903_146.png&g=4f1008164d22452a9068f14abfa82d0d

The conservatives have hardly been paragons of financial responsibility; billions in new spending, deficits despite collecting sufficient taxes to be in surplus had they kept spending at levels similar to before they took power. Not that our other options were all that great.

In a few years it isn't going to matter. Not counting promises made this election, over the next 20 years we have unfunded liabilities of ~2.1 trillion dollars. What that means is the predicted cost of health care, cpp, old-age, etc, are expected to exceed our ability to pay for it by 2.1 trillion dollars (assuming tax rates stay the same, equivalent per-capita age-corrected spending, etc). So no matter who gets in power, pretty soon they are going to be faced with a hard choice - they'll either need to cut somewhere between 16 an 19% in gov spending, or increase taxes by an equal amount. Not one party has policies in place to deal with this problem; every party ran on platform which will aggravate this issue.

But hey, what do they care. They'll all be retired when the feces hit the fan :(

Bryan

Hey!! I thought that it was against the rules to post political threads on the board. Welcome to the tea party folks. Don't complain when you have to wait to go and see your doctors unless they work in the prison system or fly fighter jets. HMMM we need more hospitals and road work oh wait no we don't we need guns planes and prisons screw the old people that need to get to a hospital.Gays are out, drug injection sites are out, abortion centres out shall I go on!! What a bunch of fools for voting in the cons. Enjoy!!! the next four year folks. :asshatg:

No, you know what was stupid? The opposition voting down the Government and having a reelection to begin with when the outcome was inevitable. It costs Canadians $300 million dollars to run an election (We've had 4 in 7 years). Money well spent for losing power in the house & putting us further in debt. I'd rather have an extra couple fighter jets than a reelection any day.

False promises come from ALL parties including those that think they can magically change the landscape of education, healthcare, environment and all private organizations in just a couple of years without increasing taxes. Sadly that logic only works if they go after businesses to get money for it. This of course backtracks us, raising unemployment rate and the closing down of small businesses. You can't have it one way without hurting the other, the middle ground just doesn't exist no matter what lies they tell you.

I agree.. I think a righty govt for a few terms, followed by a lefty govt to make some tweaks is the way to go... Crank one way and tweak th eother is about the best way I can invision things. Its just not possible to sit on the fence and get things right. Its like driving with chine walk you gotta work the wheel a little. You can't just hold the wheel dead down the middle. If you do you end up Bow Hooking.

I'll stick to facts.

Nearly 60% of the voters did not vote for this "majority".

Nearly all of the that 60% is from the centre left.

The conservatives received almost the same percent of the popular vote as the last election.

Vote splitting and attack adds work.

Anybody who thinks things are going to be "magically" fixed is more delusional than can be explained.

Edited by kickingfrog

You know what I am kick myself in the asshat.gif I could have ran for the NDP in K`bec and won a seat and had 4 years of paid vacation @157K a year!!! wallbash.gif

Could have, would have, should have but as an NDP at least you wouldn't have to speak French. ;)

You'll find your niche yet Gord, don't give up just yet. :D

I'll stick to facts.

The conservatives received almost the same percent of the popular vote as the last election.

Anybody who thinks things are going to be "magically" fixed is more delusional than can be explained.

I will stick to the facts too:

81.09 percent of Canadians did not vote for the Liberals.

69.38 percent of Canadians did not vote for the NDP.

The Conservatives have more seats than all other parties combined.

That is a majority, pure and simple.

That's not really true. About half of the seats (43) picked up by the Conservatives and NDP came at the expense of the Bloc Quebecois, which is (was) a right-wing party. They split from from the Conservatives in 1991, and most of its senior leadership were MPs and cabinet ministers under Brian Mulroney (the Bloc had 47 seats prior to the election, they now have 4).

Yup, they got a two percent jump (39.6 percent in 2011 versus 37.6 percent in 2008). Their support did not evaporate like support for the Liberals and the Bloc did.

Agreed - just as they worked for Jean Chretien in the 1990s.

Also agreed - magic doesn't exist, which is why I had a hard time with both Ignatieff's and Layton's spending commitments when neither of them had hard budgets to back them up. I wasn't willing to believe things would magically sort themselves out either.

Oy vey ... all this politics .... I'm losing my appetite!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I will stick to the facts too:

81.09 percent of Canadians did not vote for the Liberals.

69.38 percent of Canadians did not vote for the NDP.

The Conservatives have more seats than all other parties combined.

That is a majority, pure and simple.

That's not really true. About half of the seats (43) picked up by the Conservatives and NDP came at the expense of the Bloc Quebecois, which is (was) a right-wing party. They split from from the Conservatives in 1991, and most of its senior leadership were MPs and cabinet ministers under Brian Mulroney (the Bloc had 47 seats prior to the election, they now have 4).

Yup, they got a two percent jump (39.6 percent in 2011 versus 37.6 percent in 2008). Their support did not evaporate like support for the Liberals and the Bloc did.

Agreed - just as they worked for Jean Chretien in the 1990s.

Also agreed - magic doesn't exist, which is why I had a hard time with both Ignatieff's and Layton's spending commitments when neither of them had hard budgets to back them up. I wasn't willing to believe things would magically sort themselves out either.

Oy vey ... all this politics .... I'm losing my appetite!

More delusional then can be explained. And a much better, and faster, typist then me so you "win". :thumbsup_anim:

jack Layton in skinny pants

...ah now I understand...he was in the bawdy house getting greased up to fit into those skinny pants...sounds like a legit appointment to me (or I guess he could have seen a tailor...but they usually aren't as cute)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

40% of the vote gave harper 54% of the seats... meaning that your ONE vote means more or less, depending on what city you live in.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Just like it did for Chretien in the 90's when he won with 40 or just over 40 percent of the vote, you were all complaining then too right? Do some research, check into how many true popular vote majorities this country has had. But hey, a liberal majority/non majority is just a-ok no doubt, but now the conservatives win and we desperately need to change our broken system.

Self serving?...Maybe.

I promise the sky isn't falling.

Why is it that when it come to Conservatives Vs. Everyone else, everyone else just constantly slams the Con's and makes them look like child molesters and mad scientists? You guys saying Harper got the votes via attack ads...are you joking? Did you NOT HEAR THE ATTACK ADS FROM THE NDP'S AND THE LIBERALS??? Open your eyes for heavens sake...they're all brutal. Pick the one that hammers you less...

And don't tell me Harper is a Nazi because he's for big corperations, NDP's are just as bad for promising billions of dollars in infrastructure that they don't even have the money to back up, the Lib's are just as bad for their entire campaign of "Hey I'm not Harper, vote for me or he'll take your health care away and wont let you smoke dope."

And how do you think the NDP got all these young votes at the last minute? Give you a hint, its green, stinks and makes you giggle like a school girl...

Craig_Ritchie, on 03 May 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

"That's not really true. About half of the seats (43) picked up by the Conservatives and NDP came at the expense of the Bloc Quebecois, which is (was) a right-wing party. They split from from the Conservatives in 1991, and most of its senior leadership were MPs and cabinet ministers under Brian Mulroney (the Bloc had 47 seats prior to the election, they now have 4)."

With NDP Mp's who are Bar Maids,unilingual English,young inexperienced..etc.; I feel thankfully comfortable Jack's choices to run in Quebec won't splinter off in the same direction.

rofl2.gif OK...

SO.

What i can conclude from this is that aprox 60% of the country has no faith in the conservativs/ taxes wil rise/iggy finaly came to his sences/bloq is finaly got a dose of reality/and when we all go to work tomoro we will still be supporting LAZZYasshat.gif SO called Canadian citicens.

And i cant spell worth a crap.

NOTHING HAS CHANGEDtease.giftease.giftease.gif

WHAT A COUNTRY

If it wasnt for the pure love of our outdoors what would be left?

sarcasm.gif not realy.

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

You have your eyes closed the past few years?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/economics/ChartImg.axd?i=chart_fb0ed703659244c1956e7e87e7af3903_146.png&g=4f1008164d22452a9068f14abfa82d0d

The conservatives have hardly been paragons of financial responsibility; billions in new spending, deficits despite collecting sufficient taxes to be in surplus had they kept spending at levels similar to before they took power. Not that our other options were all that great.

In a few years it isn't going to matter. Not counting promises made this election, over the next 20 years we have unfunded liabilities of ~2.1 trillion dollars. What that means is the predicted cost of health care, cpp, old-age, etc, are expected to exceed our ability to pay for it by 2.1 trillion dollars (assuming tax rates stay the same, equivalent per-capita age-corrected spending, etc). So no matter who gets in power, pretty soon they are going to be faced with a hard choice - they'll either need to cut somewhere between 16 an 19% in gov spending, or increase taxes by an equal amount. Not one party has policies in place to deal with this problem; every party ran on platform which will aggravate this issue.

But hey, what do they care. They'll all be retired when the feces hit the fan :(

Bryan

seems to me it was the liberals and NDP that forced him into trying to spend their way out of a recession...that money kept a lot of people working and built a lot of new buildings...it wasn't wasted

From someone who has multiple family members working in healthcare I can tell you we are still reeling from the Mike Harris days that crippled us. And so quickly have the people developed amnesia and forgot that the leader of our country disobeyed the very thing that makes this a democratic country.... and was REWARDED for it instead of thrown in jail. Get ready for the bush shock doctrine. Get ready for even less funding for our natural resource protection and things like nature destroying mines and power production get put above environmental concerns. Get ready for more jailing and less schooling.

I can't wait for the old people who keep voting conservative to die off and I can't wait for the dumb youth to smarten up and get informed and vote.